Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 12:54 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,351,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I think it's stupid and cruel, and no, it is not a good indication of anything valuable about your child's character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Dick move.

Way to make your kids not trust you.
This and this. I would never do this to my kid and I have a low opinion of parents who would. We all end up disappointing our kids at times even if we try not to, but this is just gratuitously cruel.

And no, it's not the same as warning a kid that there will be consequences for misbehavior such as losing toys. You don't have to say you are going to throw something away if you aren't really going to do that, but you can take it away - I know many parents who put toys in "time out" and the kid has to earn back access. I also know some who are frustrated by the sheer amount of crap in their house and who do in fact actually toss things out. I didn't really do that as punishment but I did disappear stuff at times such as when too many pieces were lost or damaged so a toy or game was no longer functional but the kid wasn't voluntarily giving it up. Mostly out of sight, out of mind, but I didn't lie if I was asked about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 12:58 PM

6,903 posts, read 7,664,842 times
I think OP's original premise is pretty accurate, though I agree that parents shouldn't prank their kids.

The question really is: "is a child's reaction to anger/frustration a predictor of their future adult reactions to anger/frustration"?

I think the answer to that question is YES.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:03 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,351,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I think OP's original premise is pretty accurate, though I agree that parents shouldn't prank their kids.

The question really is: "is a child's reaction to anger/frustration a predictor of their future adult reactions to anger/frustration"?

well, since crappy parents are the ones who would do a prank like this, then maybe it's no wonder they are raising kids who turn out crappy.

But no, I don't think it's necessarily a predictor. Little kids don't have filters and have not learned how to process their emotions in a healthy manner. Some adults never learn, but I do not think that every child who isn't unnaturally mature at an early age turns out to be an immature adult.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:04 PM

407 posts, read 372,841 times
Quote:

While the answer may be yes, I would think that most parents would know how their child reacts in such a situation already. Children are constantly faced with things that are disappointing or make them angry without the parent having to 'set-up' a situation to see a reaction.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:21 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,106,924 times
Quote:

Most children have not learned how to properly manage their emotions. It has nothing to do with how they will behave as adults. Children behave much differently then adults.

When I went to the doctor as a child, my mom and a nurse had to hold me down anytime I needed a shot. I still don't like needles and getting shots, but I'm an adult. I've learned how to keep my emotions in check and deal with some of the less pleasant aspects of life in a calm and rational manner.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:08 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,604,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
As a viewer, I see it as a warning sign of things to come when you have kids getting violent or breaking things.
By the time kids your are old enough to react over Halloween candy, you would likely already know that.

It's cruel.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:51 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,624,566 times
I'm not a parent; but I think this particular prank is mean-spirited, particularly with younger children. The kids have a reasonable expectation of getting candy on Halloween; they look forward to it, then Daddy or Mom tells them that they (dad or mom) ate all the kids' Halloween candy? Funny to some adults maybe, not to the kids.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:16 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,947,312 times
I really hate the other one I have seen, the bad present thing. When you give a kid a present, part of the excitement is they feel special. Its a special feeling that most adults don't really get any more (not to that extent). The kids aren't being bratty by being sad or disappointed. They are just showing they feel less special or embarrassed, disappointed, etc.

If someone wrapped up a moldy banana and gave it to me as a surprise gift, I would be pretty annoyed they did that. Its a jerk move. Why be a jerk to your kid?

Old 11-03-2017, 04:18 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,947,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I'm not a parent; but I think this particular prank is mean-spirited, particularly with younger children. The kids have a reasonable expectation of getting candy on Halloween; they look forward to it, then Daddy or Mom tells them that they (dad or mom) ate all the kids' Halloween candy? Funny to some adults maybe, not to the kids.
My dad would eat almost all our candy the night we went trick or treating. Well anything chocolate. He would just go for it. It really did suck. It feels like...someone stole from you, took your joy, etc. I wasn't allowed to get upset about it outwardly, though. I wasn't allowed to mention it.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:29 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 17 days ago)

36,072 posts, read 18,343,912 times
I don't ever prank anyone. I do know that some friends prank each other back and forth, but that always just seems like sabotage. It's not usually funny for the one being pranked.

The most disturbing video clip I saw on this prank was two brothers. The mom said she ate all the candy and the little brother started crying and saying why did you do that and the older brother spent all his energy trying to get the younger one to stop crying at the mom. It's ok, be quiet, it's not that bad, shhh stop it, shhh.

It was horrible and pathetic. God knows what life was like in that house if mother got upset, and the older brother didn't protest at all that all his candy was gone - his focus was on not upsetting Mummy dearest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting