Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 08:07 AM

8,081 posts, read 7,057,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If my parents had barged in on me like some of you are suggesting, I'd spend the first 5-7 years of my adult life refusing to ever visit them again. That is just not cool and shows an extreme lack of respect. YMMV.
I agree with this. These suggestions are going to make a very awkward situation for everybody. All based on a "hunch" at that.

Catch them first, innocently, before you start asking if your step children are banging. I'd be offended and slightly violated if my parents came at me like that.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:19 AM

18,567 posts, read 15,789,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Am I the only one here that doesn't care one way or the other if the OP's step-kids are having sex?
It would depend. Sex, with proper protection, and proper birth control, is one thing. But I'd be very upset if I had kids who had kids before they were able to take full responsibility. At the very least you should finish high school, be making more than the poverty level income for a family of 3, and be in a stable relationship before having kids. Otherwise you are simply signing your parents up for a massive obligation they never agreed to, and this is wrong at every level of discussion.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:23 AM

14,247 posts, read 18,037,172 times
Quote:
It would depend. Sex, with proper protection, and proper birth control, is one thing. But I'd be very upset if I had kids who had kids before they were able to take full responsibility. At the very least you should finish high school, be making more than the poverty level income for a family of 3, and be in a stable relationship before having kids. Otherwise you are simply signing your parents up for a massive obligation they never agreed to, and this is wrong at every level of discussion.
I agree. There comes a point where prohibition simply doesn't work and where education on the dangers of unprotected sex is likely to be more effective both in terms of its practical effect and in promoting a dialogue with the young people

Old 02-19-2017, 08:33 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,019,161 times
I had a roommate many years ago that used to sleep with his stepsister. I always found it odd, but they didn't grow up together. Their parents got together when he was already out of the house and she was in HS. He said they didn't hook up until they were both in their 20's and out of the house.

I also knew a guy who's dad ended up marrying his wife's mom, which technically made his wife a stepsister.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:39 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,555,377 times
Quote:
Am I the only one here that doesn't care one way or the other if the OP's step-kids are having sex?
Not my circus, not my monkeys. None of my business.

Last edited by foundapeanut; 02-19-2017 at 10:50 AM..

Old 02-19-2017, 11:39 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,975,044 times
They're not biologically related, and are old enough. Even if stuff is going on, I don't really see the problem. If they are doing it then the most important thing is to find out if they're doing it safely.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:50 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,975,044 times
Quote:
No, I don't see the problem so long as they're using protection. That being, they're not my kids and perhaps I see these things differently to OP.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:53 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,741,960 times
Quote:
I see your point but whenever parents choose to have kids, aren't they also signing those kids up for a massive obligation that they never agreed to called life?

Old 02-19-2017, 12:55 PM

1,643 posts, read 1,681,629 times
If they are having sex, there is really nothing the OP can do about it. Even if the OP and her husband figure out a way to keep them from doing it in the house which is impossible they will still find a way if they want to bad enough. They are 16 and 17 they were not raised together and have no sibling relationship. Some of the posters on this thread are extremely naive if they really think that they are aware of everything that their children are doing. Get her on birth control, stress discretion, respect and responsibility and hope it runs its course fast. The more you forbid it the more attractive the whole thing will be to them.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:31 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,110,003 times
You need to be a better sleuth. I make no apologies for being one step ahead of my kids when they were
teens and they gave me reason to think I needed more info. I snooped, got my info on exactly what was going on , and addressed in in time to prevent things from getting dangerous for them.

Texts records, phone trackers, computer histories, knowing what the hell is going on under your own roof.
Step up your game to protect your kids !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting