Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 02:56 AM

15,290 posts, read 17,869,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
I thought the police being called was a standard protocol. I was hoping someone would know if that was true or not
What does the police report say? That should be online, or you can call the police and have them read it to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 06:17 AM

4,041 posts, read 5,017,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Is that something that is normally on the news?
Yes, when a young child dies at an in home day care you bet that would be on the news. The same way if they died at a daycare center.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:54 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,391,914 times
Quote:
A child dying at day care is usually in the news, yes.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:34 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,544,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
I came to pick up my baby boy after work and cops had surrounded the residential house where the day care is. There was a yellow tape blocking people from coming up the driveway. I had to give my name and my son's name for the cops to bring my son out of the house. He was fine. The cops could only say that one of the children had a medical incident and went to the hospital. I am assuming day care lady took the child but I don't know. I called the day care lady later tonight and she said she was sick and would not be open tomorrow and would give me an update over the weekend. I said are you OK? Because I thought only the child was the one sick. She said she is OK and can't do daycare tomorrow. She seemed really down.

I'm thinking what happened that there were 8 cops by her house and she can't be open? Are they going to shut her down? Do we need a new daycare?
Sounds like something that would have been in the news...

Id look up online to see if there was news stories, to get more info.. Doesnt sound like she's being completely truthful because cops wouldnt surround a house, if someone was sick..

Old 01-31-2017, 12:08 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,654,877 times
Quote:
It certainly would have made the news for at least a 100 mile radius in my are, if not in the entire state.

Any death in a daycare is newsworthy.

Old 01-31-2017, 12:50 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,175,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
It certainly would have made the news for at least a 100 mile radius in my are, if not in the entire state.

Any death in a daycare is newsworthy.
Interesting... I guess there just aren't SID cases where I live? I've never seen it reported on the local news. It just seems like something a family would want to keep private, as most deaths are.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,391,914 times
Quote:
Interesting... I guess there just aren't SID cases where I live? I've never seen it reported on the local news. It just seems like something a family would want to keep private, as most deaths are.
A sids death wouldn't be on the news. A death at a day care would be on the news. Google daycare death.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:05 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,569,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I believe, that in most cities anyone can request a copy of police reports as they are considered public records.

Now, this may have been sometime serious and it may have been something minor. You really can't tell from the number of police that were there. In my old suburb for almost everything two cops would show up. In my new suburb they must have A LOT more police or they must have A LOT more time on their hands, because I have seen situations where there were three or four or more police cars at my apartment complex and we find out later that it was something very, very minor. Heck, when my husband with dementia briefly went missing, I believe that there were four police cars with many, many police officers that responded (BTW, he was found a few minutes later).
I'm glad your husband was found. My daughter had an elderly woman show up at her door at about 7 AM one day. Fortunately DD, who is in her early 30s, was up and dressed to go to work. Anyway, the woman apparently had dementia of some type, told my daughter a very incredible (in the true sense of the word of being not believable) story, and DD managed to figure out this woman was visiting her son, had gone outside and was locked out. DD called the police and THREE cars showed up! So you're right, you can't tell by the number of cars how serious a situation it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
There is still absolutely no way I would ever leave a child in her care. No way. First, she's lied to you about what happened several times. First she was sick, then she wasn't, then the child had an accident, now it was SIDS...

No way I would be going back.
Not to single you out but there have been a lot of people talking about this woman "lying". How many of us would have said some of the same things? I'm not making a case for going straight back there with no questions asked, but give this provider a break! She witnessed a SIDS death! Maybe she wasn't ready to put an ad out re: same on the internet! Maybe she had trouble figuring out how to tell everyone. Maybe the OP should find a new provider. Lots of maybes out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
OP, whatever happened, you got multiple stories from the caregiver. So you know at the very least, she's comfortable lying to you when she believes it's in her own self-interest.

I very much hope you have reconsidered leaving your child there ever again. A child dying of SIDS is a tragedy and not necessarily her fault but if you can't trust her to be honest, how can you believe anything she tells you? Your child isn't old enough to tell you if something is wrong, you have to be the one to protect him.
See my response above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Weird that this wasn't on the news.
I'm often surprised what is and what isn't on the news. SIDS deaths seldom are, if I'm recalling correctly. The office where I worked had a patient who died of SIDS at a day care. I don't believe it was on the news.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:40 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,465,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Not to single you out but there have been a lot of people talking about this woman "lying". How many of us would have said some of the same things? I'm not making a case for going straight back there with no questions asked, but give this provider a break! She witnessed a SIDS death! Maybe she wasn't ready to put an ad out re: same on the internet! Maybe she had trouble figuring out how to tell everyone. Maybe the OP should find a new provider. Lots of maybes out there.
Daycare provider versions

1. Provider says she is sick and won't be open the next day
2. Provider then says she is ok but won't be open
3. Provider says "child had an accident but is ok"
4. Provider says she was "cleared" but then concedes an investigator has to come out the next week. She may not have been arrested but she wasn't cleared while the investigation is ongoing.
5. Questionable communication about the child being ok really meant the family was ok. (What family? If the child's family, I'm pretty sure they are not "ok" right now. Did the provider mean her own family was ok? Who knows?)

That is far too much "miscommunication" for someone I could trust my baby with.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:47 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,796,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Daycare provider versions

1. Provider says she is sick and won't be open the next day
2. Provider then says she is ok but won't be open
3. Provider says "child had an accident but is ok"
4. Provider says she was "cleared" but then concedes an investigator has to come out the next week. She may not have been arrested but she wasn't cleared while the investigation is ongoing.
5. Questionable communication about the child being ok really meant the family was ok. (What family? If the child's family, I'm pretty sure they are not "ok" right now. Did the provider mean her own family was ok? Who knows?)

That is far too much "miscommunication" for someone I could trust my baby with.
Forget trusting this woman with a baby! I wouldn't trust her with a goldfish from the county fair!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting