Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 08:17 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times

Advertisements

Is the lady who runs the day care the sole provider? If so, what does she do if there is a medical emergency? Surely she can't leave the other children unattended while she's gone. On the other hand, maybe that's why the police were there; maybe someone came earlier to pick up their child and found no adults there to watch the kids, and called the police.

Yeah, it sounds like you need a new day care. Personally, I would have a much greater comfort level at a commercial center, because they have backup people to handle things like this. The only way I would stay with her would be if I were given an explanation, from the police, that would satisfy you that no one was ever in any danger during this incident, and that the incident itself had a reasonable explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 08:20 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
I thought the police being called was a standard protocol. I was hoping someone would know if that was true or not
Police being called "standard protocol" for what? You said police were surrounding the house....That ain't standard for anything that I know of except something very major.

I think the daycare lady called the police, or an ambulance. This is not the reaction by the police to someone taking a child to a medical facility.

Did you watch your local news last night???

I would definitely look for another day care.

And, please update and tell us what you've found out.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:28 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
I believe, that in most cities anyone can request a copy of police reports as they are considered public records.

Now, this may have been sometime serious and it may have been something minor. You really can't tell from the number of police that were there. In my old suburb for almost everything two cops would show up. In my new suburb they must have A LOT more police or they must have A LOT more time on their hands, because I have seen situations where there were three or four or more police cars at my apartment complex and we find out later that it was something very, very minor. Heck, when my husband with dementia briefly went missing, I believe that there were four police cars with many, many police officers that responded (BTW, he was found a few minutes later).

Old 01-27-2017, 09:11 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
I thought the police being called was a standard protocol. I was hoping someone would know if that was true or not
An ambulance is typically called for health reasons. Not the police, and certainly not eight policemen with crime scene tape. I would certainly do some digging for answers before returning your son to that particular daycare.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:13 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
Do you know any other parents who go there? Someone should have the scoop.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:02 AM

83 posts, read 127,419 times
Quote:
Like other posters said, no that is not a standard protocol. When my son had seizure at his day care, they called the paramedics - no police. Something else happened there yesterday.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:13 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
She's not sick. The cops won't let her open her daycare until the investigation is complete. Common sense. Also, I wouldn't want to take my child back. Ever.
Bingo. And I am a preschool teacher, so pretty darn familiar with how all of this works. We've had kids have seizures, have allergic reactions, etc. and had to call 911 before. Never, ever have police been involved. Paramedics come, take care of the child, end of story. We have never not been able to stay open. The only way the police are involved is if whatever "illness" or injury is suspicious.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:45 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
I was thinking why don't you just ask her. You have a right to know.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:10 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Quote:
I came to pick up my baby boy after work and cops had surrounded the residential house where the day care is. There was a yellow tape blocking people from coming up the driveway. I had to give my name and my son's name for the cops to bring my son out of the house. He was fine. The cops could only say that one of the children had a medical incident and went to the hospital. I am assuming day care lady took the child but I don't know. I called the day care lady later tonight and she said she was sick and would not be open tomorrow and would give me an update over the weekend. I said are you OK? Because I thought only the child was the one sick. She said she is OK and can't do daycare tomorrow. She seemed really down.

I'm thinking what happened that there were 8 cops by her house and she can't be open? Are they going to shut her down? Do we need a new daycare?
After everything that you related, I can't believe you are seriously asking this question.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:38 PM

772 posts, read 1,059,490 times
Quote:
I have heard that in some states that it's standard protocol that if you call ambulance or fire that the police would also come.

Anyway wrt to your daycare situation, I wouldn't take my child back there. I'm more concerned that the daycare owner did not immediately reach out to the parents via email to tell them what happened instead she's leaving it for folks to speculate. It could be anything but she owes you a duty of care to keep you informed. In my experiences with 5 or 6 daycares/preschools in 3 different states, given d ages of the children involved, the directors/owners tend to over communicate and this one isn't doing that which for me is quite suspicious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting