Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 07:52 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,062,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
. What I thought was the child being OK was her saying the family was OK. The 4 month old child died of SIDS in her care which explains the yellow tape and her interrogation and being cleared of police.
If their child just died the family IS NOT okay right now..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 09:13 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,340,992 times
I'd also call the state daycare licensing also to see what they have to say. You have to get a new daycare for this next week anyway.

I accidentally turned in a daycare provider when my oldest was a baby. I had gotten uncomfortable with her, but couldn't put my finger on what was wrong. I looked around at different day cares and then called the state to get a report card on them. As an afterthought I also asked about the current daycare again. I was asked if she was still in business. The lady had given up her licensing and was running it out of her home without a license. They shut her down.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:33 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,167,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
Ok I talked to daycare provider. Looks I misunderstood her the first time or she just didn't want to say . What I thought was the child being OK was her saying the family was OK. The 4 month old child died of SIDS in her care which explains the yellow tape and her interrogation and being cleared of police. Now it makes more sense. Apparently the police are now more open in discussing so I will call them next.
Okay; your OP was dated 1/26/17, which was Thursday evening?

And today is (was) Saturday; meaning there is no way the coroner has had enough time to rule a cause of death on this child.

Most states require an autopsy to be done on "unattended deaths" of children who did not have a diagnosed life-threatening or terminal condition.

It can "look like" a classic SIDS case but they can't rule the cause of death as SIDS until other potential causes, either accidental or intentional, have been ruled out.

Not even a doctor would label it a SIDS death without the autopsy report & most autopsy reports would not be completed within 48 hrs.

And even if your county does have some "fast-tracked" capability; this is the 3rd different story you have been told in 2 days. This is unacceptable.

I've been that single mom left hanging 12 hours before I was due at work because either a childcare provider quit or I had to fire them & I know it's not easy. But this situation has giant red flags waving ALL over it; it's just not even an option at this point.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:12 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,302,211 times
I have thought more about this and I would be very concerned about all the different stories that the woman told. It may be different if from the very beginning she said "I can not discuss the details right now. I am sorry, but I will be closed for several days. I will call you when I have more information." Instead of saying she's sick, a child had a accident, a child died but she was cleared, etc. etc.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:11 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,571,478 times
OMG get REAL. Stay the Heck AWAY from All of this!!

Old 01-29-2017, 12:06 PM

16,952 posts, read 16,824,539 times
Okay, things I thought of: (both scary)

1. Molestation (with the police and crime tape).

2. The day-care provider could be a screw-ball, who harms children and this story of SIDS could turn out to be suffocation. (only a presumption but you need to ask yourself how much you know about your day care provider?).

3. Daycare center is required to call the police with instances of physical abuse and other serious matters, this day care owner had no choice. But then she lied to you. I would NOT go back.

Once you know the truth, you can proceed forward. I am pretty sure most parents are scratching their heads and looking for new day care providers.

Years ago, I had my daughter being cared for by a licensed private home. One day, on my way to work, I knocked on the door and the girl answered the door and had a black eye! She said she was sorry but there would be no day care today. I had no where to take my daughter that day, so I had to miss work. I had to find a new provider. They never explained what happened or why it was closed, but after that day, her home day care was permanently shut down.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:17 PM

10,218 posts, read 7,657,175 times
It's possible that the child died of SIDS while in her care, and it's possible that there was neglect or worse. I feel for daycare operators. It's so likely that little kids will get injured, no matter where they are. If one injury, much less a death, occurs, even through no fault of the daycare operator, their business is over. Why anyone would do this for a living is beyond me.

Accidents happen all the time. Kiddos falling off change stations in a split second, falling down, hitting each other when daycare operator turns away for 30 seconds.

So while I feel for the daycare operators who are good, this situation sounds too bad to continue there. Her business is over, anyway. So you have to find a new daycare.

Without having an official report of clearance for the daycare, taking your child back would be too risky, anyway.

I wouldn't take my dog to a kennel where a dog had just died, without a report of some accident happening that was out of the kennel's control (like the dog dying from a medical condition).

Old 01-29-2017, 01:34 PM

809 posts, read 1,336,375 times
How old is your child? Are they old enough to tell you anything? What did other parents say? Surely someone is talking about this. How long were the police there before you arrived? Who attended to your child while this was happening? Too many unanswered questions.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:23 PM

618 posts, read 943,697 times
Police won't say anything other than no negligence found. They didn't fill me in if it's ongoing or not. We don't know any of the parents. We don't know what to do because a lot of the day cares have waiting lists or charge a fortune so a rich guys kid can learn Mandarin and the wife can attend her charity functions . So it's going to take time to find a daycare. I wish it were as simple as finding a new daycare right away. We might have to deal with the current daycare provider in the short term.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:45 PM

37 posts, read 35,681 times
"date care"lol

I had to point that to OP you mean "day care' right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting