Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 03:26 PM

7 posts, read 6,528 times

Advertisements

I need some good advice on what to do about my 15 year old disabled daughter that is getting some bullying in school that has been bad but as of 3 days ago got real bad. My daughter is stuck in a wheel chair and has trouble getting around but does okay. The problem is ever since she started HS she has had a bullying problem, in particular a group of 4 girls she says make fun of her and are mean to her.

They have done things such as make fun of her, write nasty/mean things on her facebook, talked bad about her to a boy she liked etc. I have talked to the school and they always say they'll do something but they don't. Anyway it really all came to a head 3 days ago when during class when the teacher went out one of the girls grabbed her wheel chair and started wheeling her around the class room! She said many of the students started laughing and as expected was awful for her. She said it went on for about 5 minutes but she was too embarrassed to tell the teacher when she came back.

I was furious and talked to the school and as before they just said they'd "look into it". Which I guess means they don't care. She doesn't want to go back but I have had her go telling her to see if anything like that happens again. Now I am a single father, mother couldn't cope with her disability and left when she was 11. As a father if it were boys I would give them a talking to but being girls I know my options are limited and feel horrible for my daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 03:30 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,917,035 times
I'm betting you could get an attorney to take this on pro bono if you can't afford it. If it was me, I'd be talking to attorneys now.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:35 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,915,505 times
If the school won't address the problem and you've talked to the principal, go above the principal. He has a boss he has to answer to. Many school districts have an anti-bullying initiative and you can contact the people who run it and explain what your daughter is going through and ask for help.

Also, you could look into online public school for your daughter. It's free. She's old enough to be home alone, so as long as she's motivated and will do school work without you there to supervise, it could be an option. My kids go to online school because one of them was bullied and the school wasn't able to put a stop to it. You'd just have to see if it's available in your state.

I'm especially concerned about the girls wheeling her around the room...that is horrible and should not happen. Your daughter needs to be brave enough to tell her teacher when something like that happens so it can be dealt with right away.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:56 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,618,526 times
In my district were never allowed to leave the kids alone in the room. You may want to go to a school board meeting and during the public comment time bring it up. Something will happen then or call your local news station. They love stuff like this.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:56 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,907,554 times
Grabbing and pushing a person around in a wheelchair against their will is against the law. I don't know if its assault, but it isn't legal. I'd be beyond furious.

I wouldn't want her to be more isolated by having her homeschool...but I think it is ok to take a few days off to wait for the school to crack some heads (get a lawyer if you have to, call the police, etc).

Another option is looking into smaller private schools in your area that would be more inclusive with her and teach more tolerance.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:04 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,992,042 times
Raise hell. That's inexcusable behavior.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:17 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,694,763 times
NO! NO! NO! Absolutely would not be happening!

Put a stop to this immediately. Poor girl!

Old 01-22-2016, 04:20 PM

7 posts, read 6,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If the school won't address the problem and you've talked to the principal, go above the principal. He has a boss he has to answer to. Many school districts have an anti-bullying initiative and you can contact the people who run it and explain what your daughter is going through and ask for help.

Also, you could look into online public school for your daughter. It's free. She's old enough to be home alone, so as long as she's motivated and will do school work without you there to supervise, it could be an option. My kids go to online school because one of them was bullied and the school wasn't able to put a stop to it. You'd just have to see if it's available in your state.

I'm especially concerned about the girls wheeling her around the room...that is horrible and should not happen. Your daughter needs to be brave enough to tell her teacher when something like that happens so it can be dealt with right away.
Yes I told to the principal and she said it was wrong and she would look into it, but she really didn't seem that concerned. At one point she even said "Well what happened was horrible but girls can be really mean to each other" as if she were making excuses.

Can someone give some insight as to why girls typically bully each other? I thought girls were usually good at just talking stuff out.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:31 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,694,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavaro View Post
Yes I told to the principal and she said it was wrong and she would look into it, but she really didn't seem that concerned. At one point she even said "Well what happened was horrible but girls can be really mean to each other" as if she were making excuses.

Can someone give some insight as to why girls typically bully each other? I thought girls were usually good at just talking stuff out.
Are you kidding?? Girls can be worse than boys!

I know you are not "new" to this cruel world. C`mon man.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:36 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,413,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavaro View Post

It's the opposite, guys usually are good at eventually talking it out and making up.

Guys usually get physical about things.

Girls are usually more emotional, which I think is worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting