Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:31 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,880,628 times

Advertisements

After reading this entire thread I'm convinced that I finally get what is going on with the militant public breastfeeding crowd. It's political correctness rearing it's head once again. The liberal thought police are trying to force their agenda (in this case being allowed to breastfeed in all public and private places, anytime anywhere, no matter how old the kid is, no matter how much of a spectacle).

Reminds me of the demand for transgendered bathrooms at a few highschools. Because of 1 or 2 teenagers that feel "transgendered" the entire school has to cave and either let a BOY into the girls bathroom, a GIRL into the boys bathroom or waste thousands of $$$ on a gender neutral bathroom.

The pc crowd can be as militant as they want....they will get some of these silly breastfeeding anywhere laws passed....they can keep demanding transgendered bathrooms paid for by the taxpayers.

However, one thing these thought police types will never get is for rational people to change their minds and think these selfish, hysterical, childish polices make any sense.

Last edited by Elmonellie; 02-10-2008 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 01:16 PM

2,839 posts, read 10,022,278 times
Wait, it's militant and crazy to expect to be able to feed your child anywhere? I don't understand... I must have missed something. LOL I'm far from liberal and pc, and I think that transgendered bathrooms are absurd, but of course women have the right to nurse their babies/toddlers wherever they want. Would you rather have hungry babies screaming??

Old 02-10-2008, 04:50 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,694,771 times
NOOOOOO right to feed ? not an issue,,,,,I think Discression is the issue,,easy,simple, everyones happy NIP away !!!

Last edited by nanannie; 02-10-2008 at 05:02 PM..

Old 02-10-2008, 05:14 PM

2,537 posts, read 3,900,314 times
I am truly enjoying this post, as I feel breast feeding is completely acceptable whenever/wherever the baby is hungry. The key word here is baby. What the heck is wrong with these women breast feeding 4 year olds? Have another baby if you feel the need to breastfeed a "child", who most likely can pee by themselves, feed themselves, dress themselves, ect. Personally, I think something is off in the mothers head, sorry if I have offended, but that is my 2 cents.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:24 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,694,771 times
Yes, I know other countries do it, but the story I mentioned earlier with the Olive Garden, that child was walking and talking and the whole scene was not loving or beautiful, rather eeewww. The mother said "come get some moo-moo".

Old 07-24-2008, 12:01 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,698,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Wait, it's militant and crazy to expect to be able to feed your child anywhere? I don't understand... I must have missed something. LOL I'm far from liberal and pc, and I think that transgendered bathrooms are absurd, but of course women have the right to nurse their babies/toddlers wherever they want. Would you rather have hungry babies screaming??

I had to do a search on this topic after I saw a woman whip it out for her baby in the middle of a restaurant in Portland. I couldn't believe it.

Fine, feed your baby, but show some discretion and decorum. Maybe you could put some of your milk in a bottle for when you're in public? There is such a thing as a breast pump that will let you do such a thing. As far as I'm concerned, this woman who was breastfeeding in public had little regard for the sensitivities of the people around her. Yes, it's natural, but so is taking a dump, but I'm not about to drop my drawers in a public place for everyone to see. Yes, it's an intimate thing between mother and child. So KEEP it intimate, instead of turning it into a public display. There's a time and a place for everything.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:38 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,347,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
I had to do a search on this topic after I saw a woman whip it out for her baby in the middle of a restaurant in Portland. I couldn't believe it.

Fine, feed your baby, but show some discretion and decorum. Maybe you could put some of your milk in a bottle for when you're in public? There is such a thing as a breast pump that will let you do such a thing. As far as I'm concerned, this woman who was breastfeeding in public had little regard for the sensitivities of the people around her. Yes, it's natural, but so is taking a dump, but I'm not about to drop my drawers in a public place for everyone to see. Yes, it's an intimate thing between mother and child. So KEEP it intimate, instead of turning it into a public display. There's a time and a place for everything.
Oh jeez.

You couldn't believe a baby EATING in a restaurant?

Feeding your baby is NOT akin to taking a crap.

Feeding your baby is NOT akin to sex.

Breastfeeding does create an intimate bond... but it is also about something very simple: delivering nutrients to the baby!!

Where is your regard for the baby? The baby is EATING, that's all. If you read more into it then you've got the problem.

Milk in a bottle can cause nipple confusion leading to premature weaning... and besides, WHY should she? Again, it's not sexual, it's not "elimination", and it's as old as the human race.

It's the entire over-sexualization of breasts in this country that is at the root of this issue.

I think I usually agree with your posts, but you are WAY off on this one.

My respectful suggestion: do some REAL research on this topic, not just a CD thread search.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:16 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,816,597 times
Quote:
Thank you. Totally agree!

Old 07-24-2008, 02:08 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,959,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
Yikes, I missed this thread back when it first happened. I guess I was on my CD hiatus at the time.

Anyway, I am aware that there is such a thing as a breast pump, but perhaps you are not aware that not all babies will take a bottle. Mine never did. And not for lack of trying either since she started daycare at 3 months old - I pumped milk and they tried to give her a bottle every day and she never took it. I have met several other moms with babies who refused a bottle too. So for many of us, it's just not an option.

But even if my baby would take a bottle, I would not choose to give her one when we were together just because it makes YOU uncomfortable to see me nurse. Another thing you should know about nursing is that a baby is more efficient than a pump at getting milk out. For a mother who is trying to keep up her milk supply, she should directly nurse her baby when they are together rather than pump and use a bottle because the pump will not stimulate the milk supply as well. For a mother who is already pumping for several sessions a week because she is at work, she is advised not to pump when she is together with her baby so she can keep up her supply.

Aside from the practical difficulties of the "just give the baby a bottle when in public" sentiment, there is also the emotional difficulty with it. Telling a mother that nursing is something that needs to be hidden says to her that it is something dirty or shameful, when it is actually quite the opposite. Breastfeeding may provide an intimite bond between mother and child, but it is also a normal, natural, everyday parenting activity and it is the proven best way to feed a baby. It is not obscene, indecent, or impolite, and in most states a woman has the right under the law to breastfeed in any location where she is otherwise allowed to be. A nursing mother is simply feeding her baby, and should be able to feel comfortable doing so in any location where another mother would feel comfortable bottle feeding a baby.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:37 PM

542 posts, read 1,691,042 times
Why is it when any one suggests nursing moms be discreet, they get jumped on as if they're saying women shouldn't NIP. Wow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting