Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 11:55 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,475,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
I have no problem with public breastfeeding. What I find annoying is the occasional in-your-face breastfeeding woman who is obviously looking to cause a ruckus by letting their goods hang out for all to see.

Feed your kid, that's fine. But the boob he's not using -- we don't need to see that hanging out and flopping around, or to hear you yapping at somebody for "staring" when you're obviously trying to get negative attention.

Wow, I've just never seen that happen in my whole life. All the women I see breastfeeding in public are quite discreet.

Not sure what all the hangups are with breasts! It's men that sexualize them, it's men who suck on 'em as babies, men who are obsessed with them-size, shape, nipple, color, fake, real, etc... and da*n it all if it isn't men that tell us what we can and can't do with them. I'm no feminist by any stretch of the imagination, shoot, I never did NIP, I pumped instead, but it's comments like this--forgive me, but *completely* ignorant ones, that make me simply boil over! God forbid we actually use our big ol' boobies in the way which they were created. Hellfire!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 12:02 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,778,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Wow, I've just never seen that happen in my whole life. All the women I see breastfeeding in public are quite discreet.

Not sure what all the hangups are with breasts!
I don't have a hangup with them, but I've certainly seen women doing it that seem to want negative attention because of it, just so that they can be drama queens. Specific example comes to mind of a woman I saw in the mall a couple years ago, who plopped herself down on the floor in the middle of the children's play area, unbuttoned her shirt down to her navel and had both boobs hanging out. A young boy (my guess around 7 or 8) noticed, and just stood there staring. The nursing woman glared at him and then snapped "Doesn't your mother teach you any manners? Stop staring you little freak..."

I mean, hello? She's hanging it all out, not just the one in use but the other boob too. Of course kids will stare.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:45 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,941,480 times
Quote:
I don't have a hangup with them, but I've certainly seen women doing it that seem to want negative attention because of it, just so that they can be drama queens. Specific example comes to mind of a woman I saw in the mall a couple years ago, who plopped herself down on the floor in the middle of the children's play area, unbuttoned her shirt down to her navel and had both boobs hanging out. A young boy (my guess around 7 or 8) noticed, and just stood there staring. The nursing woman glared at him and then snapped "Doesn't your mother teach you any manners? Stop staring you little freak..."

I mean, hello? She's hanging it all out, not just the one in use but the other boob too. Of course kids will stare.
I know what you're saying. There are hard core nursing women out there who do seem like they are more interested in provoking an argument about their right to BF rather than just feeding their baby. If a big deal could not be made about it from both ends of the spectrum, both the "OMG-WHAT are you doing?" crowd and the "Watch me feed my baby" crowd, then maybe these poor babies could just get fed in peace and quiet. LOL.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:28 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,475,238 times
*shakes head* again, just have never seen anything like that. Not saying you didn't, obviously, you say you did, but wow, that's really surprising. I haven't even seen anything like that at a sit-in, and that's where you really see the La Leche League mamas goin' to town with their message. I would think that was probably an isolated incident, and hopefully you've seen more mamas being discreet than not. There's nothing wrong with a little privacy, IMHO, but I definitely believe women have the right to nurse where they wish.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:43 PM

5,651 posts, read 19,406,649 times
I believe now it is a federal law. A woman cannot be arrested for it.

The best stores are the ones that have chairs in the women's rooms. Most don't though! How hard would that be to put in one stinkin chair for us. I usually tried to find the furniture section.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:51 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,274,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I do not allow smoking in my house. Is that any different?
Are you freakin' serious?? You're comparing smoking to feeding an infant?

Old 02-01-2008, 02:53 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,778,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
Are you freakin' serious?? You're comparing smoking to feeding an infant?
Sure, they both suck, right?

Old 02-01-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
I know what you're saying. There are hard core nursing women out there who do seem like they are more interested in provoking an argument about their right to BF rather than just feeding their baby. If a big deal could not be made about it from both ends of the spectrum, both the "OMG-WHAT are you doing?" crowd and the "Watch me feed my baby" crowd, then maybe these poor babies could just get fed in peace and quiet. LOL.
Well said!!

Old 02-01-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:

From strictly a logistics point of view, I seriously doubt that both her boobs werer out. Why? Because any nursing would be very uncomfortable running around without a nursing bra on, and those have clips so you only open one side at a time. You mean to tell me that this woman undid her entire bra just to create drama? I seriously doubt that.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
The best stores are the ones that have chairs in the women's rooms. Most don't though! How hard would that be to put in one stinkin chair for us. I usually tried to find the furniture section.
My favorite place to nurse was the dressing room. Always a chair and very private. Not just for me, but for my nosey baby. Anyone who's tried to nurse a 9 month old in a crowded store knows how curious they can be, and I'd rather them not keep pulling my boob across the room just so they can see what's going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting