Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 07:39 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,497,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Look, just my opinion. That is what these boards are for. You don't have to agree. I don't have contempt for this couple, they just were making such a big deal about a rather personal thing and causing such a hazard with their piles, the other people in the crowded gate were moving to get away. Just kind of uncomfortable for the people trapped there.

I do have a bit of contempt for the bf nazis who are very militant. Militant people in general turn me off.

I am turned off by people that don't seem to know basic modes of operating in public. It's not that hard. But, hey, it's a free country. A big fat, dirty, smelly person can sit in a restaurant and burp and f*art. No law against it...most people would appreciate if they wouldn't have to experience such a liberating display of freedom, however.

Part of my dislike of people making big deals of personal business in public is that I don't like MY space intruded upon. I don't like out of control kids screaching and kicking my chair, I don't like teenagers dry humping next to me on the train, I don't like someone blowing smoke in my face, I don't like a woman feeding a big old toddler who smacks and makes alot of gross noise sitting right by me while I'm trying to choke down a salad.

I just appreciate a little common sense and decorum.

Oh, and people that scream on the cell phone at the gate at the airport. Unbelievable. There were a few of them the other night and they were as much a turn off as the circus couple that had a 20ft circle around them strewn with their crap.

So, glad you like breastfeeding in public in all it's forms...some of us think the obnoxious people are just that: obnoxious.

Guess we shall disagree on this.
Have you ever thought of... minding your own business? I don't care if someone breastfeeds or not... or how they do it. You shouldn't either. You have the option of looking somewhere else and give the nursing mother a little respect by not staring. You are entitled to your opinion of course... I just think it's a little disconcerting that some people are preoccupied by the way mothers breastfeed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 07:56 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Have you ever thought of... minding your own business? I don't care if someone breastfeeds or not... or how they do it. You shouldn't either. You have the option of looking somewhere else and give the nursing mother a little respect by not staring. You are entitled to your opinion of course... I just think it's a little disconcerting that some people are preoccupied by the way mothers breastfeed...
It's funny that you tell me to mind my own business then immediately proceed to say that I should feel as you do.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:57 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,668,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
or 'nip' their kids
Is this another term for breastfeeding?

Old 02-08-2008, 08:13 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,950,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68 View Post
Is this another term for breastfeeding?
Nurse In Public...took me a minute too and I did it-LOL.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
It's funny that you tell me to mind my own business then immediately proceed to say that I should feel as you do.
You are deflecting. MYOB. It's not hard... at least for most people.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:45 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,694,771 times
I think the 'respect' angle works both ways. The mom should also respect other people, certainly while eating. I can not forget the woman at Olive Garden on a very crowded fri nite eating her dinner while a toddler STOOD next to her nursing while she was hanging out. It took something away from my Chicken Al fredo. Not heart warming for most diners.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:32 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,816,597 times
Quote:
I think the 'respect' angle works both ways. The mom should also respect other people, certainly while eating. I can not forget the woman at Olive Garden on a very crowded fri nite eating her dinner while a toddler STOOD next to her nursing while she was hanging out. It took something away from my Chicken Al fredo. Not heart warming for most diners.
Thank you.
Have a little class and decency about yourself....of course, that sort of behavior won't score any attention....
If BFing moms would just be discreet, this wouldn't be an issue.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:54 PM

The breastfeeding process is between the mother and child. This is the way the child receives food. End of story. I'm not really sure why anyone would be so offended by it unless they really have nothing else better to do than nit pick. If people have a problem looking at a woman breastfeeding (whether she is decreet or not) one can always look the other way (of course there are those who simple can't help themselves for some weird reason...). If a BFing woman is doing it for attention then that's all the more reason to ignore her - this concept is not rocket science. Live and let live people. No need to get your knickers in a twist over something so petty.
I question whether or not some people on this thread even know what class and decency really is...

Old 02-09-2008, 06:17 PM

Sorry, thats just SOOOOO self centered. YES, babies feed from moms (or should, best case), YES, its a good and healthy thing. Lots of bodily functions are. But the beauty is between the loved ones, not people who choose not to show breasts in public milking. Its very simple, be discreet. I close the door when I go potty, its a natural function that feels great and is God given but not everyone wants to see my tush. Bodily functions and the miracle of birth are glorious, but not everyone wants to see your engorged, drippy **** .

Old 02-10-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I question whether or not some people on this thread even know what class and decency really is...
'
One can have class and still "nit pik" about ''nip". Having ones breasts hanging out at the mall does not stir up many images of class though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting