Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 11:33 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Hell why don't we also buy her a carton of smokes and drop her off at the Armed forces recruiting office and adult novelty stores?!?! She's 18. Let's just make sure she gets the full experience right away.

Note: She will be 18 in November halfway through her senior year in high school.
Ok. so YOU don't like it.

Does your daughter, er, step-daughter, want a tattoo?

Last week one of my 18-year-olds was showing me the Instagram photos of all his friends who have tattoos. They all just graduated high school. I was surprised but not shocked that 5 of them already had ink. Only one had one that was pretty poorly done.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 11:49 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,271,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Ok. so YOU don't like it.

Does your daughter, er, step-daughter, want a tattoo?

Last week one of my 18-year-olds was showing me the Instagram photos of all his friends who have tattoos. They all just graduated high school. I was surprised but not shocked that 5 of them already had ink. Only one had one that was pretty poorly done.

Good luck.
No kidding, I don't like it. Like I said, "bikers and prostitutes".

And yes she wants one.

But why should that just happen because it's what she wants...

.....while I pretty much pay for her existence? (Roof, Food, clothing, truck, gas, auto insurance, health insurance, dental, cell phone, cable, Internet, etc, etc, etc.)

Just because your kid turns 18 doesn't mean they are grown and capable of making sound life choices. I didn't suddenly become an enabler of my daughter doing stupid things that could negatively affect her entire life.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:55 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,013,501 times
Quote:
No kidding, I don't like it. Like I said, "bikers and prostitutes".

And yes she wants one.

But why should that just happen because it's what she wants...

.....while I pretty much pay for her existence? (Roof, Food, clothing, truck, gas, auto insurance, health insurance, dental, cell phone, cable, Internet, etc, etc, etc.)

Just because your kid turns 18 doesn't mean they are grown and capable of making sound life choices. I didn't suddenly become an enabler of my daughter doing stupid things that could negatively affect her entire life.
Next thing you know she will want to stop wearing dresses and start wearing PANTS!!

Seriously, this is what parents back in the 50s were complaining about. Don't you see how silly you will feel when you look back 20 yrs from now?

Instead of being absolutely against it, I would focus on encouraging her to get it someplace it won't normally show. That way, it won't negatively impact her life.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Next thing you know she will want to stop wearing dresses and start wearing PANTS!!

Seriously, this is what parents back in the 50s were complaining about. Don't you see how silly you will feel when you look back 20 yrs from now?

Instead of being absolutely against it, I would focus on encouraging her to get it someplace it won't normally show. That way, it won't negatively impact her life.
You might be surprised to know that I'm generally pretty liberal minded when it comes to clothes and things of that nature. I don't care what she wears. I don't care about a lot of things like that. Clothing fads are not permanent. Having a tattoo, especially if its visible, says something about *who you are*. That isn't this kid.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:10 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,013,501 times
Quote:
You might be surprised to know that I'm generally pretty liberal minded when it comes to clothes and things of that nature. I don't care what she wears. I don't care about a lot of things like that. Clothing fads are not permanent. Having a tattoo, especially if its visible, says something about *who you are*. That isn't this kid.
That's what I mean. Tattoos USED to say *who you are*, but they don't anymore. They are very mainstream now. Even if it is a fad, it's one that most people of her generation will have.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:21 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,618,297 times
Not a fan at all of tattoos.

However, have you asked the daughter if she wants one? If she does, have a discussion about what she wants, what size and where she wants it. Discuss things like, special meaning versus trendy/fad, being able to cover it up easily if needed for future jobs, easy to see or only for her eyes and what happens if something goes wrong. (I have a friend who found out she is deathly allergic to the red ink)

Go with her to visit a reputable place and have a full consultation regarding how long it takes, how it feels, overall cost and cost to remove if needed in the future.

Then tell her you want the same one to match hers and you can get it done together and see what she does. haha

Last edited by hypocore; 06-02-2015 at 01:06 PM..

Old 06-02-2015, 12:25 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
I believe you. Have you asked what tattoo and where she wants it?

Old 06-02-2015, 12:27 PM

Yes, she does want one but I do not have to be an enabler of stupidity.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I believe you. Have you asked what tattoo and where she wants it?
I have not entertained this discussion.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:29 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,037,940 times
Tell your step-daughter that you will match the amount that the step-mother has offered times ten and that the money goes to her new car (you keep the title). Any tattoo and you sell the car.

If you're lucky she'll get the tattoo, anyway, but it will be small and somewhere neither you nor anyone else (except her boyfriend) will see. Problem solved and you get to be the good guy. Pay her to wait until after college to get her first tattoo. That's when the urge ends.

My mom always said that people learn the most from the lessons that cost them the most. This is kind of like the opposite of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting