Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 12:18 PM

655 posts, read 1,128,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsam View Post
My 10 yr old daughter has been refusing to wash her hair. She will shower and put a very small amount of shampoo on the top of her head and allow it to wash off. However, she refuses to actually wash her hair via rubbing the shampoo into her hair. As a result, the tope of her hair looks greasy and disgusting from the moment she steps out of the shower.

I asked my daughter why she likes her hair greasy. Response was 1) so her fine hair lays flatter than it already is and 2) it is easier to put into a bun for dance.

Last night I drew the line and insisted she re-wash her hair. She looked at me and calmly said 'no'. OMG. I told her she would lose her phone, kindle and TV. She said 'I don't care'. I sent her to her room. She didn't care.

She utterly refuses to wash her hair. Advice? Do I stubbornly continue to enforce the takeaways? Or give in under the idea of choosing my battles? This child is gifted in intelligence and normal in every other way. She's just brutally stubborn. BTW - I am a single parent so there's no backup to help me.

I have read through most of the responses here and I guess I don't understand why it has to be your way or her way and that's it. Can't you sit down with her and ask her for in depth reasoning for not washing the hair? I mean, just wanting it to lay flat can be accomplished with washing the hair and using the right products but does she know that? Is she afraid to wash her hair in case of the way it may turn out? Has someone been making fun of her for having non-flat hair?

I don't know....if my daughter just gave me the one reason for not washing I would have a bunch of these follow up questions. Then you can get to the real reason. At the same time, you can teach her how to problem solve while you both work on a solution together.

I understand the frustration of not listening to you when you say to take a bath (I have a 10 yo who is in the same boat. She hates taking baths because they take too much time but she will do it when told.....with a lot of grumbling. But it is always such a process to get her to finally get there!). And the natural inclination is to start punishing for not obeying. But I really think that this situation calls for a sit down, non-judgemental conversation. You give your reasons and she gives hers so that you can come to an understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 12:24 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsam View Post
My 10 yr old daughter has been refusing to wash her hair. She will shower and put a very small amount of shampoo on the top of her head and allow it to wash off. However, she refuses to actually wash her hair via rubbing the shampoo into her hair. As a result, the tope of her hair looks greasy and disgusting from the moment she steps out of the shower.

I asked my daughter why she likes her hair greasy. Response was 1) so her fine hair lays flatter than it already is and 2) it is easier to put into a bun for dance.

Last night I drew the line and insisted she re-wash her hair. She looked at me and calmly said 'no'. OMG. I told her she would lose her phone, kindle and TV. She said 'I don't care'. I sent her to her room. She didn't care.

She utterly refuses to wash her hair. Advice? Do I stubbornly continue to enforce the takeaways? Or give in under the idea of choosing my battles? This child is gifted in intelligence and normal in every other way. She's just brutally stubborn. BTW - I am a single parent so there's no backup to help me.
Many people don't wash their hair. I don't wash mine in the summer time. Look up how to take care of hair without shampooing.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Treat her to a salon visit, and have the stylist teach her how to deal with her fine hair. This isn't one of those battles worth dying on a hill for, but it is unattractive. On the other hand, I keep reading that if you can stand to go without shampoo, within six months of not using it, your hair and scalp will be very healthy. I could never last 6 months.
Less than six months. Usually your hair is good within 3-4 weeks of stopping shampoo use.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
Shave her head.
Um. Why?

Old 04-15-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Just for kicks, how does someone making a decision regarding what to do with their own hair equate to running the entire household?
Its the internet. There are no shades of gray here silly.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am retired, so to many I would now be an old fogie. If I even tried to pull that crap on my mom I would have been pushing up daisy's. It is your home, you make the rules and if she doesn't like them tell her to find another place to live. Now, that said, if she doesn't want to wash her hair every night, then set a timeframe that makes you happy and enforce it. If she refuses, you suggest she find a home to live in that will allow her to do as she sees fit, and in the mean time, if no shampoo, then one by one, TV - gone, phone - gone, dance - gone, any and all activities other than school.

Sorry, in my home the parent is the parent and negotiations are not part of the deal.
Its the daughter's hair. We all need some autonomy over our own bodies.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWEvergreen View Post
My (now 10 yr. old) who decided she wanted to donate her long hair to charity, is now asking to dye her hair. (Ugh)! I see pink in our future, but if I allow it, it will be over the summer break from school and it will be the "wash-out" kind!

Let them live a little. They are going to have to make big decisions later, so let them practice with small decisions.

I can already predict the outcome of my kids temporary dye job... "MOM! I look like a clown"

(Hate to say "I told you so").
My friend's daughter has had her hair every shade and combination of shades possible. Not only that but she's had as many styles as her age in years too. Mohawk, fauxhawk, bob, skrillex style, completely bald, long hair, short hair etc. LOL She is one of the smartest people I've ever met in my life. She is in the gifted class, perfect grades, involved with school and her community and just an all around cool girl. I love seeing what she is going to come up with next. LOL

Old 04-15-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
my point is less about showering then about actually taking something away of value to this girl.
For what reason?

Old 04-15-2015, 12:43 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Your the parent. She lives in your home. You make the rules. Kids can make their own rules when they are paying the bills and living on their own.

I also would not send her to her room. I bet that she has her own TV, Game System, internet, what ever else in there as well?

Until she wants to follow your rules I would put her to work. She can cook and clean. she can organize the book shelf. Have her do it again once it is done.

She is not your friend she is your daughter.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Your the parent. She lives in your home. You make the rules. Kids can make their own rules when they are paying the bills and living on their own.

I also would not send her to her room. I bet that she has her own TV, Game System, internet, what ever else in there as well?

Until she wants to follow your rules I would put her to work. She can cook and clean. she can organize the book shelf. Have her do it again once it is done.

She is not your friend she is your daughter.
What decisions are children allowed to make for themselves? NONE?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting