Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 03:31 PM

11,642 posts, read 24,052,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
No, there is no magical age. The moment that they have moved out and are on their own is when they get to start hanging out with whoever they want. Until that point, I'm paying their bills, I'm financially responsible for them, and they will live by my rules.
How old are your kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 03:59 PM

11,313 posts, read 10,876,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
How old are your kids?
They range from 8 to 15, although that has no bearing on the case. The 15 year old still needs approval for who he hangs out with, and will until he's paying his own way.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
They range from 8 to 15, although that has no bearing on the case. The 15 year old still needs approval for who he hangs out with, and will until he's paying his own way.
At 15 of course he does. My oldest son is 21. He chooses his own friends, with no input from me even though we are still paying for college. He is way to old for us to have to approve his friends.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
At 15 of course he does. My oldest son is 21. He chooses his own friends, with no input from me even though we are still paying for college. He is way to old for us to have to approve his friends.
So, we apparently have different parenting styles. Yours works for you, mine works for me.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
So, we apparently have different parenting styles. Yours works for you, mine works for me.
I guess so. My older sons are fine young men and I don't have to micromanage their lives any more. Remember-just because you can do something it doesn't mean you should do it.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I guess so. My older sons are fine young men and I don't have to micromanage their lives any more. Remember-just because you can do something it doesn't mean you should do it.
The newspapers are filled with stories of fine young men who made really stupid decisions.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:02 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,600,260 times
Quote:
The newspapers are filled with stories of fine young men who made really stupid decisions.
I just have to say, "Holy Cats" (cleaned up a little from what I really wanted to say)!

Can't we take people at their word when they say their kids are "good kids"? Why do so many on this board, and I mean the whole parenting board not just this thread, get so judgy?

In regards to friends, even little kids sometimes have friends their parents don't like. Heck, there's plenty in the parenting literature about it. My kids did, my friends' kids did, etc. The general advice is usually that unless you have concrete evidence that the child is not a "good" kid, don't interfere.

Here's just one article:
What You Can Do When Your Teen Has a Friend You Don't Like | Alpha Mom

There are also many links to articles like "I don't like my friend's kids"; "I don't like my kid's friend's parents"; and the like.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
I just have to say, "Holy Cats" (cleaned up a little from what I really wanted to say)!

Can't we take people at their word when they say their kids are "good kids"? Why do so many on this board, and I mean the whole parenting board not just this thread, get so judgy?

In regards to friends, even little kids sometimes have friends their parents don't like. Heck, there's plenty in the parenting literature about it. My kids did, my friends' kids did, etc. The general advice is usually that unless you have concrete evidence that the child is not a "good" kid, don't interfere.

Here's just one article:
What You Can Do When Your Teen Has a Friend You Don't Like | Alpha Mom

There are also many links to articles like "I don't like my friend's kids"; "I don't like my kid's friend's parents"; and the like.
At no time have I disputed that any of the mentioned children are good. What I have said is that young people make notoriously bad decisions, usually based on peer pressure.

As for parents letting their kids hang out with people they don't approve of, bully for them. It's our job as parents to raise responsible members of society, not to let our children do whatever they want with whoever they want.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:49 PM

6,190 posts, read 8,016,325 times
Quote:
Haha good luck controlling an 18 year old with their mind set.
You can't punish them anymore.
You cant ground someone 18+ because holding an adult somewhere for more than 6 hours is false imprisonment.

Have fun with that.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:46 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,600,260 times
Quote:
At no time have I disputed that any of the mentioned children are good. What I have said is that young people make notoriously bad decisions, usually based on peer pressure.

As for parents letting their kids hang out with people they don't approve of, bully for them. It's our job as parents to raise responsible members of society, not to let our children do whatever they want with whoever they want.
Well, what was you point with that nasty crack? Momma_bear said HER sons were nice young men. Not buying your "peer pressure" backpedal.

My kids are grown. Over the years they had a few friends I didn't care for. I think anyone who says differently is prevaricating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting