Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 10:15 AM

58 posts, read 42,671 times

Advertisements

She was pouting and sulking all yesterday. I tried initiating conversation, no such luck, I told her I was all ears if she has anything she wants to talk about, no such luck. I ended up on the phone with my mom, she just said give her space, she'll talk when she's ready. Times like these I wish there were a woman in the picture. As outlandish as this sounds, I've thought about, obviously after a few years of dating, marrying someone. I kept my dating minimum for obvious reasons. Let's say I get married, my daughter will have 1 of these 2 reactions

" Finally, yes, another woman in the picture..." or

" I think it would just be you and I? You're married and it's awful"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 07:48 PM

* "I thought it would be just you and i?"

Old 08-22-2014, 10:27 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,871,402 times
Regardless of your daughter's reaction, you shouldn't get married just so your 18-year-old daughter will have a woman in her life. That sounds ridiculous, not to mention a terrible thing to do to any would-be wife.

And, just so you know, having a woman around doesn't mean your daughter would never pout or be moody.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:34 AM

421 posts, read 560,451 times
I really admire you for keeping dating to a minium to focus on your daughter. I think its safe to start dating, but not for her to have someone in her life. Because you deserve a full life. You raised your girl, now its time for you.

She has likely found her own female figures in her life. I did it growing up. I had a mom, but she wasn't someone to look up to or feel safe with.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfacefan View Post
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that she's Ms. Clean and Organized now. She's one of the very few kids I've ever heard of to pick up her toys and make her bed without being asked. I'd make breakfast or whatever and she always knew where to put the stuff back, usually I just threw it in the cabinet, but she always knew, it irritated her if it wasn't in its exact spot. She liked to ask silly questions like " Is my hair blonde? Are my eyes blue?
My daughter is young but she is like this too. She likes her things in their place, her outfits to match, her bed made. Its just "her". I wish I was like that!

Old 08-22-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
may just be OCD. I'm still shocked she snapped at me like that
hahaha now snapping at a parent *is* normal teenage behavior.

OCD is serious, if you suspect that, for sure get her evaluated. But some people are just organized and neat.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Regardless of your daughter's reaction, you shouldn't get married just so your 18-year-old daughter will have a woman in her life. That sounds ridiculous, not to mention a terrible thing to do to any would-be wife.

And, just so you know, having a woman around doesn't mean your daughter would never pout or be moody.
Obviously I wouldn't just marry the first woman I see with the attitude of " BOOM, found her, that was easy, now my daughter has a motherly figure", but if, down the road I find somebody, that'd be taken into consideration, how do they get along?

Old 08-22-2014, 11:10 AM

She's still moody, pouty, and giving me one word answers. I don't know this girl. I'm at my limit of how patient I can be with her current behavior, only so much more " C'mon, what's bothering you?" conversations I can do. If it keeps up. I'll be entering into " fine, you wanna be bratty and pout, go do it in your room" type conversations.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Obviously I wouldn't just marry the first woman I see with the attitude of " BOOM, found her, that was easy, now my daughter has a motherly figure", but if, down the road I find somebody, that'd be taken into consideration, how do they get along?
That's really important! Totally with you on this.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
She's still moody, pouty, and giving me one word answers. I don't know this girl. I'm at my limit of how patient I can be with her current behavior, only so much more " C'mon, what's bothering you?" conversations I can do. If it keeps up. I'll be entering into " fine, you wanna be bratty and pout, go do it in your room" type conversations.
Hint: teenage girls sometimes feel strong emotions they don't understand. Trying to drag it out of them wont help the situation. But if its rude or uncomfortable, its totally reasonable to ask her to go elsewhere or remove yourself.

My teen niece lived with us for highschool and I would pick her up every day. She had such a huge bad attitude every day after school. And I would try to figure out what was happening, see if I could help, etc. And then finally I couldn't take it anymore. I told her she could either be in a bad mood and walk home every day or choose to adjust her attitude and I would continue to pick her up. She chose to walk :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting