Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 11:47 AM

37,772 posts, read 46,260,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
Geeze who cares.. People are such germaphobes these days. In a chair on a changing pad alone with her kids. I mean was it a nasty diarrhea? Seriously, I don't get why this is a huge deal. Perfect, nah. I once had to change my baby in a doctors office waiting room when he had diarrhea from rotavirus (worst smell ever). Cleared out the waiting room but there was no other options (foreign country), but you do what you have to do sometimes.
Wow. "Do what you have to do?" No, if the woman did that, she would have taken her kids back out to the damn van to change a dirty diaper. You don't change a kid's diaper in restaurant. EVER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 01:04 PM

421 posts, read 558,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Eyeye, you seem awfully defensive about this topic. I also see that you are from Houston - the same city as the offender. Please don't be another Miranda Sowers. One is enough for poor Houston.
No, I have never changed a diaper in a eating area. And I have never thrown a poopy diaper in public trash. I even took diapers to businesses dumpsters instead of throwing them away inside.

But I think y'all (had to throw some Texan in there) are waaaaay overboard. We don't live her life, know her struggles, or the actual story (just one side). Its so silly. I'm not angry or defensive, I think y'all are funny to have such intense feelings about it.

I mean ***** happens. I had a kid throw up massively in the middle of a restaurant 3 times! I don't take my kids places sick, but I have had a lot of kids. I had a girl have massive diarrhea on herself in a restaurant.

I actually can't count how many discusting things have come out of my kids in public. People need to grab the disinfectant and take a chill pill.

And unless its sticky diarrhea all up in everywhere, 10 seconds once you have everything gathered is generous. I've changed diapers standing up holding them, so maybe some parents are just quicker then others.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:09 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,081,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
No, I have never changed a diaper in a eating area. And I have never thrown a poopy diaper in public trash. I even took diapers to businesses dumpsters instead of throwing them away inside.

But I think y'all (had to throw some Texan in there) are waaaaay overboard. We don't live her life, know her struggles, or the actual story (just one side). Its so silly. I'm not angry or defensive, I think y'all are funny to have such intense feelings about it.

I mean ***** happens. I had a kid throw up massively in the middle of a restaurant 3 times! I don't take my kids places sick, but I have had a lot of kids. I had a girl have massive diarrhea on herself in a restaurant.

I actually can't count how many discusting things have come out of my kids in public. People need to grab the disinfectant and take a chill pill.

And unless its sticky diarrhea all up in everywhere, 10 seconds once you have everything gathered is generous. I've changed diapers standing up holding them, so maybe some parents are just quicker then others.
I agree all we have is the link to the story. But spare me this "struggles" stuff. Struggles or not, the mom should not be changing a diaper in a food serving area, even if it was only a wet diaper. To be blunt, butts are full of fecal material, even once they're cleaned up.

I really don't know where you're getting this "10 second" business. It's recommended you wash your HANDS for at least 20 seconds. Fighting Food Poisoning: One of The Most Important Things You Can Do | FoodSafety.gov Who knows how long you have to wash a butt to consider it safe? Some diarrheal diseases take only a few microns of virus to make the next person who sits on the chair ill.

Disinfectants are no substitute for washing.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:36 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,209,364 times
As a non-parent, I actually expected this thread (in the Parenting forum) to be extremely supportive of her. I am very pleasantly surprised that the vast majority of parents understand that this is not acceptable, even though parenting is hard, stressful, and very challenging.

(And as a non-parent, breastfeeding in public is perfectly fine, although I prefer that women are discreet while doing it. The vast majority of women certainly are, but a few choose not to be. I'm not sure why.)

Last edited by spencgr; 08-13-2014 at 06:58 PM..

Old 08-13-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
As a non-parent, I actually expected this thread (in the Parenting forum) to be extremely supportive of her. I am very pleasantly surprised that the vast majority of parents understand that this is not acceptable, even though parenting is hard, stressful, and very challenging.

(And as a non-parent, breastfeeding in public is perfectly fine, although I prefer that women are discreet while doing it. The vast majority of women certainly are, but a few choose not to be. I'm not sure why.)
Actually other parents love to form a posse and burn other people at the stake. It makes them feel superior like they are not totally f-ing up...which most of us are on some level.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Cause a mom is feeding her baby, not doing a strip tease and she deserves the right to do so without restrictions placed on her by people uncomfortable with their own sexuality and place and unfair emphasis on breasts as a sex organ.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree all we have is the link to the story. But spare me this "struggles" stuff. Struggles or not, the mom should not be changing a diaper in a food serving area, even if it was only a wet diaper. To be blunt, butts are full of fecal material, even once they're cleaned up.

I really don't know where you're getting this "10 second" business. It's recommended you wash your HANDS for at least 20 seconds. Fighting Food Poisoning: One of The Most Important Things You Can Do | FoodSafety.gov Who knows how long you have to wash a butt to consider it safe? Some diarrheal diseases take only a few microns of virus to make the next person who sits on the chair ill.

Disinfectants are no substitute for washing.
I am huge on hand washing. I never was a hand sanitizer mom. Hate the stuff. But if your kid pukes on the floor, they use sanitizer.

I'm waaaay more disturbed about service workers not washing their hands.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:35 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,276,081 times
Ignoring how disgusting it is to change it there, I just can't imagine changing a nappy somewhere where I can't wash my hands right after! Was she just going to carry on eating without washing her hands?!

Old 08-14-2014, 05:32 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,642,797 times
The absence of a changing table was a pathetic excuse for what that woman did. If she didn't want to use the restroom floor, she should have walked out to her vehicle. Parents have been doing that forever, and with two other kids she must have done it herself at some point in time. Diaper changing stations are usually found only in larger restroom facilities, and people should not expect to find them inside small businesses. It wasn't that many years ago that public changing tables did not exist anywhere, yet parents somehow managed to avoid changing poopy diapers in restaurants, stores, etc.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:25 AM

1,915 posts, read 4,002,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Ignoring how disgusting it is to change it there, I just can't imagine changing a nappy somewhere where I can't wash my hands right after! Was she just going to carry on eating without washing her hands?!
Absolutely! You know she was just going to grab a slice of pizza and start eating. If she wants to expose herself and her children to a number of diseases that originate from fecal matter, I have no problem with that. What I find incredible is that she did it at a public restaurant. She touched tables, chairs....even the front door. There are health and safety laws in this country for a reason.

Did you know that fecal matter is the biggest killer of children in the world? Oh, wait! That doesn't matter because she is a stressed out parent. She took time to make those ghastly dresses for her daughters, so she could use the same attention to detail and use some common sense.

I personally don't like C. diff on my pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting