Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 12:32 PM

20,548 posts, read 17,897,331 times

Advertisements

My daughter who is 4 yrs old has been using the iPad since she opened her eyes and can respond and she is doing well. She plays toys just like any other girls but her development is definitely faster than normal girls because she sees and absorbs so much that she's learned from interactive games and watching videos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 09:24 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,352,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
tell your self that. Sing this song to yourself. its all marketing, etc. . .whatever. Its funny. I know there are always fanboys and you must be some android or pc fanboy. Tearing down Apple, not giving any ground.

Well Apple was almost bankrupt

Apple climbed from the bottom and blew everyone out of the water. They weren't first with an mp3 player, weren't first with a smart phone, and weren't first with a tablet - but when they entered they nailed it. They blew everyone else out of the water and back to the drawing board.

So now you can look at an Android phone and a tablet and go "hey its good enough" and yes it is. They learned from apple, they followed, and did what every good business does.

So I fault no one for buying Google. . .they copied from the best.
I'll resist the urge to walk much farther down that path due to the possibility of bans being forthcoming for "hijacking a thread" or "going off-topic"--I could write all day about ways they were just as guilty of copying as anyone else ever was, if not more so. They're great at marketing though--they could "invent" the iToilet commode and people would SWEAR that, prior to the iToilet, we were all using outhouses.

Beyond that, I concur with those that say too much screen time is a bad thing, and that's the case whether it's a tablet with Android, iOS, Blackberry, or a PC that can actually DO something. I'm not saying technology is evil, but that, at least with how these devices are applied into childhood, they have a way of causing children to seemingly be unable to do anything else, you can't get them to play outside, or stack blocks, or even talk to other people, and they will engage in VICIOUS fights with other kids over these things too, in ways they don't with other toys as much. I've seen kids aged 10 or more visiting a dying relative in the hospital and they were GLUED to that thing the ENTIRE time--not in stretches, but the ENTIRE time--while they grandmother was on their DEATHBED, and the parents did nothing. That's just bad parenting, I'm sorry.

It does help to know, though, we've been through this before. In the late 70s and early 80s, people were decrying the evils of home video games. I used to play them and loved them. HOWEVER, to the extent that kids sometimes suddenly, for awhile, wanted to do NOTHING else and would nag their parents relentless to spend zillions of dollars on the consoles and applicable games, and just plain go out of their mind over them--yes, that was a problem. Balance and reason needing to be applied. I'd say this is much the same thing.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:33 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,414,733 times
Okay people, can we get back to discussing the merits of iPad parenting and not how iPad is better than other Android devices? Go to the technology forum for the latter. Thanks!

Old 08-14-2014, 10:38 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,352,404 times
Getting back on topic, and addressing this other thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/paren...parenting.html where the poster basically asked about our thoughts on a parent "redirecting" a child (my words) with a tablet or similar electronic device (regardless of the OS) when they act up, here are my thoughts (and from there I'm going to make a concerted effort to back off a bit).

My take is that it's totally natural to provide a child with something they can use to occupy themselves with vs always expecting them to be "good little soldiers" as it were no matter the environment. Such could especially be the case in places such as a doctor's office or a nicer restaurant while waiting for the food. In fact, that may be something that's a good thing with respect to how a quieter child is more respectful of others.

HOWEVER, if you, say, pass the time with a tablet for yourself, and you give the child a book or a suitable toy for their age, I think it's totally normal to tell them not to bug you for your tablet--those are your toys, this is MY toy. It's a "respect of property" thing. Also, at the same time, I do think sometimes a child does need to be told to "get over it" and "suck it up" vs it being a case of that anytime they act up they get a pacifier of sorts, regardless of what that "pacifier" is. Most crucially, a child should understand the "because I said so" concept--that is, mommy or I said be quiet, and you do that because you are the child and I'm the parent and you better darn well do as you're told whether you like it or not. Otherwise, I'm going to be looking for a bathroom with no surveillance cameras and/or bystanders and show you that I mean business.

So, basically, my stance is that it's fine to recognize that your child, in such situations, is going to be bored and that such is totally to be expected, and to prepare for it. In fact, I think that's a GOOD thing in that it shows you care how your child feels and anticipate the situation ahead of time when you can. However, failure to do this, or the toy's batteries running down or (especially) the child losing it etc is NOT a license for a child to act out either, and don't bug your parents for their tablet or whatever. Some things are meant for the parents and ONLY the parents, and if a parent has done as I'd do and state "the tablet is for me ONLY, play with your toys," then you as the child accept it and shut your trap. (Or, if you, say, got your child a tablet, but a cheaper one, and they break it or such and now wants yours--sorry. You should've taken better care of what you were given.)

Old 08-14-2014, 04:15 PM

546 posts, read 1,827,502 times
I am sure people will disagree with me but I think ipads, kindles, xbox, tablets, phones, etc. are all horrible for kids. So I think i pad parenting has no merit. My oldest is 10 and is constantly whining about not having a phone like all of his friends. I took their kindles away this summer because they were fighting me over time limits and not doing their summer reading. Done. Gone. I hate arguing with my kids over tablets, kindles, xbox, computer time, etc. I don't feel they are being creative and expanding their minds appropriately when they are playing games on a tablet and it drives me crazy when I see teenagers glued to their phones everywhere I go. I am guilty of it too so I am trying to stay off my phone when my kids are present. I don't let my kids watch movies or play games on an ipad when we go to restaurants. I see that a lot. Well, that's awesome your kid is sitting quietly like a vegetable staring at a screen.... I am forcing mine to learn to behave, engage in appropriate dinner conversation, sit quietly and use their manners for the hour it takes to eat a meal in a restaurant. It is not easy sometimes but being a parent is not easy. Surprisingly, I am actually a tech savvy person and definitely appreciate the advances of the times; however, I don't like the signs of addiction to it all I see in my kids so as long as they are with me I will keep trying to engage them in other things.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:56 PM

105 posts, read 111,600 times
How are electronics different from any other toy?
I think it bothers us because our kids aren't outside playing , but there have always been toys that don't require physical activity. Yet this generation is the most concerning somehow.

Instead of limiting screen time, we have playtime. We usually go on an outing, or sometimes just the backyard. I make sure they are too occupied to want the ipad.

The reason I don't limit is because different situations require different expectations. If it's raining and we can't go anywhere, or if someone is sick they need to find something quiet to do anyway. I don't see the difference: angry birds vs etch a sketch.

As for imagination, if you force it it isn't real anyway. My kids have plenty of ideas without being told how to play.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:03 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,078,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punyhumans View Post
Pretty much daily my kids play with the iPad or my Android phone or watch YouTube videos for a bit on the laptop. Pluto.TV is a great free resource of kids entertainment and has a setting on the web where you can lock out the non-child focused content... at least I thought it was a great thing until my sister criticized me and told me that kids brains are damaged by screens. What do you think? Good? Bad? Fine in moderation (the last is my opinion)?
Fine in moderation. I DO wonder how creative children will be when they always need to be entertained. It could be an irrational question as I am from a different generation, but I worry if young children will always need to be distracted, how will they handle boredom? How will things get invented if they are always fed with technology?

Old 08-15-2014, 05:05 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,078,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter01 View Post
I am sure people will disagree with me but I think ipads, kindles, xbox, tablets, phones, etc. are all horrible for kids. So I think i pad parenting has no merit. My oldest is 10 and is constantly whining about not having a phone like all of his friends. I took their kindles away this summer because they were fighting me over time limits and not doing their summer reading. Done. Gone. I hate arguing with my kids over tablets, kindles, xbox, computer time, etc. I don't feel they are being creative and expanding their minds appropriately when they are playing games on a tablet and it drives me crazy when I see teenagers glued to their phones everywhere I go. I am guilty of it too so I am trying to stay off my phone when my kids are present. I don't let my kids watch movies or play games on an ipad when we go to restaurants. I see that a lot. Well, that's awesome your kid is sitting quietly like a vegetable staring at a screen.... I am forcing mine to learn to behave, engage in appropriate dinner conversation, sit quietly and use their manners for the hour it takes to eat a meal in a restaurant. It is not easy sometimes but being a parent is not easy. Surprisingly, I am actually a tech savvy person and definitely appreciate the advances of the times; however, I don't like the signs of addiction to it all I see in my kids so as long as they are with me I will keep trying to engage them in other things.
Whatever happened to families just talking at a restaurant? It's odd to see a whole family glued to their phones and not interacting with one another. In fact it's sad.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:56 AM

17 posts, read 16,963 times
Bigger ipad parenting question: When PARENTS are on ipad all day, are they really parenting?

Old 08-17-2014, 09:23 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,357,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
My daughter who is 4 yrs old has been using the iPad since she opened her eyes and can respond and she is doing well. She plays toys just like any other girls but her development is definitely faster than normal girls because she sees and absorbs so much that she's learned from interactive games and watching videos.
A parent bragging that their child is advanced because they started using an iPad when they were a newborn baby...

I'm speechless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting