Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 02:47 PM

49 posts, read 146,963 times

Advertisements

I know the pros and cons of most neighborhoods have been pointed out and argued bout to death on this board, but I just moved here and have some specific questions about specific areas.

I'm 22, a chef, and just took a job over in Shadyside. I don't know much about the city...my girlfriend lives in Oakland so I that is the only part of town I know. I don't particularly mind Oakland, but I'm not big on the whole college scene either.

It seems that the difference between recent transplants that moved here who love the city or hate the city has a lot to do with picking the wrong part of town to live in. I'd like to do everything in my power to avoid the more backwards, "hick" areas. I'm looking for a place with a good bit of diversity and more open-minded, progressive people. I guess somewhere with a more a more "counter-culture" feel is what I'd be looking for.

I'm looking at Southside, Shadyside, Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, or somewhere down by the strip. Again, I'm mainly looking for a younger, laid-back progressive environment. I know people are going to say that this doesn't exist in Pitt, but it must in certain places a lot more than others.

Thanks to anyone who has any information for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 03:03 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,118,991 times
The South Side might be more of a college scene than you are looking for, unless you get down to the South Side Works end.

Shadyside is pretty upscale and the younger people there also tend to be part of the college scene. It is quite nice but may or may not be what you are looking for.

Lawrenceville and Bloomfield are an interesting mix of ethnic blue-collar Pittsburgh and a growing hipster scene. It sounds like you should check those neighborhoods out. Polish Hill is another option along these lines.

A few other suggestions:

Friendship, which is located between Bloomfield, Shadyside, and the growing restaurant scene in East Liberty, is a little less expensive than Shadyside and also has a bit of an artist/hipster vibe, thanks in part to the Penn Avenue Arts Initiative.

Squirrel Hill and Point Breeze are very convenient for both Oakland and Shadyside, and there is a slightly more mature scene in that area (I think of it as a grad/professional student scene as opposed to a college scene).

Regent Square, my neighborhood, is also popular with grad/professional students. It is right up against Frick Park (on the other side from Squirrel Hill), and has quick bus routes serving both Oakland and Shadyside. It also has its own little commercial area with a nice selection of bars and restaurants. Park Place is a more transitional area just north of Regent Square but it also has a good location and is where I lived as a grad student.

All these neighborhoods count as fairly progressive in my view, but it really depends on exactly what balance of things you are looking for.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,394,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by +Daimon View Post
I'm looking at Southside, Shadyside, Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, or somewhere down by the strip. Again, I'm mainly looking for a younger, laid-back progressive environment.
Lawrenceville and Friendship.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:34 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,656,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by +Daimon View Post
I know the pros and cons of most neighborhoods have been pointed out and argued bout to death on this board, but I just moved here and have some specific questions about specific areas.

I'm 22, a chef, and just took a job over in Shadyside. I don't know much about the city...my girlfriend lives in Oakland so I that is the only part of town I know. I don't particularly mind Oakland, but I'm not big on the whole college scene either.

It seems that the difference between recent transplants that moved here who love the city or hate the city has a lot to do with picking the wrong part of town to live in. I'd like to do everything in my power to avoid the more backwards, "hick" areas. I'm looking for a place with a good bit of diversity and more open-minded, progressive people. I guess somewhere with a more a more "counter-culture" feel is what I'd be looking for.

I'm looking at Southside, Shadyside, Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, or somewhere down by the strip. Again, I'm mainly looking for a younger, laid-back progressive environment. I know people are going to say that this doesn't exist in Pitt, but it must in certain places a lot more than others.

Thanks to anyone who has any information for me!
I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the neighborhoods you listed. Squirrel Hill and Regent Square are also nice. I think you'll be OK in the East End of the city (and in South Side.)

Good luck!

Old 09-25-2009, 10:37 PM

49 posts, read 146,963 times
Thanks for all the info guys, I won't be actively searching for another week or two so any additional input about the neighborhoods I've listed (good or bad) or of any others not mentioned yet from anyone is definitely appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh