Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2008, 10:27 PM

4 posts, read 14,778 times

Advertisements

I've tried to figure this out by reading all the of previous posts, but I'm having a difficult time figuring out what neighborhoods belong to what "section". We'll be moving to Pittsburgh in a couple of months and I need to figure out where we'll be locating to. I've recieved several reccomendations for the North Hills [sorry south siders...nothing against your side of town ].

Can someone break out the neighborhoods that make up the North Hills?

We'll be looking to buy in a year or two, but I want to rent first to make sure I'm choosing the right locale, as I plan to live in the area for quite some time. I've rushed into purchases in my last 3 homes (Denver, Dallas, and Arkansas), so I'd like to "scout" the area first.

We're looking to rent a decent sized home (4 br, 2.5+ ba, garage, yard, etc.). As a point of reference, I'm looking to spend upwards of $2K per month in rent.

Any help is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 10:57 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,499,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsy1978 View Post
Can someone break out the neighborhoods that make up the North Hills?
Welcome to Pittsburgh We have funny "unofficial" names for things and the North Hills is one of them. You don't get any extra added benefit from saying "I live in the North Hills" as the areas encompassed into this term have different school districts, etc. so choose whatever location works best for you

North Hills is a local term given to an area of the suburbs North of Downtown Pittsburgh. Usually encompassing (according to Wikipedia): Ross Township, West View, Shaler Township, Franklin Park, Marshall Township (Wexford), Bradford Woods, McCandless, Hampton Township, Pine Township, Richland Township, Reserve Township, Ohio Township, Millvale, and Etna in Allegheny County. And also Cranberry Township and Seven Fields in Butler County.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:42 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,569,085 times
If you can afford 2K/month in rent, purchasing a home in this area will be easy for you. There may be quite an inventory of vacant homes in the upcoming months. It should be a buyers market.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:55 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,939,876 times
There are actual neighborhoods in the North Hills?

Old 10-22-2008, 01:22 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,499,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
There are actual neighborhoods in the North Hills?
Neighborhoods are North Side

Suburbs are North Hills

Old 10-22-2008, 01:54 PM

4,363 posts, read 6,541,516 times
Allison Park is a nice neighborhood in the "north hills". If you wish to remain closer to town - there isn't much wrong with Ross Township. You would be able to find a nice home in that range.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:12 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,384,584 times
Are you familar with Craigs list? craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums It's a good place to look for about anything. I did a search for a 4BR rental in North Hills and this one came up in Cranberry for $2,250. Spacious 4 Bedroom Home on Cul-de-sac (http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/882179192.html - broken link)
$1,000 North Allegheny Wood-lot Home (http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/881210907.html - broken link)

Take a look around and let us know what interests you.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:42 PM

4 posts, read 14,778 times
I saw that Craigs List post for the Cranberry house you are referencing...that house would be ideal and it's right in our price range. We've been a bit spoiled with our AR home, as it was brand new and you get a lot for your money here. Seems as though Pbgh is similar in that regard though.

Saw two other postings for beautiful new homes in the $1500 range. They were only listed as Pittsbugh though (no other address/region), so I'm not sure of their location. The community amenities listed private lake, pool, park, etc. so I doubt they're in d-town Pbgh! The posters haven't responded to my emails though.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:43 PM

3 posts, read 8,540 times
If you can afford 2k a month, you can pretty much live anywhere in Pittsburgh...

Old 02-26-2009, 10:05 PM

19 posts, read 60,370 times
If you can afford 2k a month, you can pretty much live anywhere in Pittsburgh...

That's pretty muchthe truth.

JSY, you're doing the smart thing by renting before buying, but might I suggest that you even rent a short term apartment before committing to a 12 month lease?

You could park most of your household goods in a POD and take a short term lease in an apartment for a month or two while you find a rental house or even a house to buy. The reason I suggest this is that I moved to Pittsburgh two years ago and what I've learned is that you cannot pick a house, a street or a neighborhood from advice or photos on the internet. If I'd been locked into a one year lease when I arrived here I would have had a breakdown by now.Many well meaning Pittsburghers will try to advise you the best they can but because they live here and are accustomed to the idiosyncrasies and terrain of this city they fail to take into consideration how disconcerting (terrifying even!) some aspects of the city are. You really have to feel it and see it for yourself. We passed up perfectly lovely homes in perfectly charming neighborhoods because it looked like the houses on the street behind them might slide down on top of us. Or the only way to access the street was by taking a road that would be better classified as a goat path or a tobogan run.

It took us about 8 weeks to find a house we liked with a level yard, no one looming over us, off street parking and a reasonable (and reasonably navigable even in winter!) route to my workplace.
There are SO many neighborhoods and they change every couple of blocks - along with the taxes and amenities. You really have to see it, walk it, and drive it to make any sort of informed decision.

Last edited by Gimbler; 02-26-2009 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: edited to remove excessive italics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh