Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 12:50 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Advertisements

How many bathrooms do you have? I assume more than one, so no one is doing the pee-pee dance waiting for DD to come out of the shower. As long as she's not causing a major inconvenience to the rest of the family, let her be. OP, how long do you take in the shower? Seven minutes? Seven and a half minutes? Unless your water bill and gas bills are a major concern, let her alone.

I grew up in a house with just one bathroom, which was the norm for my day. When I reached my teens, I needed more time in the bathroom, but I really wasn't taking that much time. However, my parents made it into a major issue, just because they could! I was supposed to announce it----I'm going to take a shower---so the rest of the family could top off before I got in there---although there was a flush-up commode in the basement for emergencies!

First, I was supposed to announce the "last call". Then, everyone else would line up, and spend more time "topping off" than I would spend total in there! I would wait until the rest were watching a favorite tv show, then, literally sneak in and do my thing. By the time I was through, no one had even noticed I was in there! That business about taking too long in the bathroom was just something to say, a way to stir things up. My parents felt they had to warn others I visited, Mary takes a long time in the bathroom, like forewarned they could plan around it. I never had anyone complain except my family. I even put a clock in the bathroom and found I took exactly 13 min---I know, 2x too long for the OP, but hey, that's the way it was! I couldn't wait to go away to college where I didn't have people standing with a stop watch outside the door!

OP---lighten up! Unless she's draining all the hot water, or you just have one bathroom, let her be. Sometimes the bathroom is the only place one has any privacy!

Old 07-18-2014, 12:52 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Inline - Tax Credit to Put one in
Inline - Natural Gas Bill Goes down
Inline - Can be more efficient in my use of Electric power, but doing Hot Water Item one right after each other.
- Can do load of Wash in morning and pop it in Electric Dryer and run it at 7am (Lower Elec Demand then.)
Instead of 4pm when Elec Demand in High
- Can run the dishwasher When i leave for work, Hot water for dishes, Low Elec Demand time for the dry cycle.

The Water that is pull'ed from the lake is send thru the sewer and deposited just down stream of the lake so there is no Net water loss.

You need to get gas!

Old 07-18-2014, 12:57 PM

245 posts, read 291,888 times
if you set a time limit everyone should have the same time limit. is 7 minutes enough time for you? 10-15 seems more reasonable.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
If you're going to set timers, everyone should be taking the same length showers, even the adults. It's not only fair, but it gives you an accurate way to measure if the length of time is fair.

The idea of her being last in line to take a shower might a good one too. That way the hot water will be her timer, and she'll learn a thing or two about what hogging all the hot water means to everyone else. BUT that won't be fair to her if there isn't enough hot water for 4 people to shower in the time period it's done.

It's very possible there just isn't enough hot water and an upgrade needs to be made. Installing a small tankless water heater on the shower would solve the problem. It can be added to the existing water heating system.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:42 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Good grief. So, it's ok in this country to waste natural resources? It's time people started appreciating what so many parts of the world( and some parts of the USA) consider a complete luxury.

Kudzu has every right to insist her daughter take a shower, and get out. How long it takes her to wash herself is the issue, and I question if 7 minutes is really long enough, so, as I said, 10-15 sounds about right. A 12 yr old does not need to play in the shower. And, NK doesn't need to upgrade her plumbing so she can.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:43 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
OK so it seems 7 minutes most people believe is too short. We'll let her try in increments up to 10-12 minutes and let her see how much time it takes to really shower. Both girls are basically taking 2 showers every day in the summer. The first one in the morning to go to school or camp and the 2nd one in the afternoons when they get out of the swimming pool. If they don't play outside the rest of the day they have the choice to not bathe the next morning but both seem to want to. During the winter I don't even want them to shower ever day but again this is their choice. They are developing young ladies and I think they should be very careful about hygiene and I suspect they will want to shower every day even during the winter. They are just now starting to use deodorant-although not regularly. it isn't a habit yet.

Since this girl is a bit pokey in the morning we are thinking a shorter shower time may mean she is less rushed getting out the door to school. During the school year they are up and out of bed between 6:15 and 6:30, one eats while the other one showers and then vice versa. But in the summer time they don't have to use the hair dryer and we will have to figure in that time too once school starts in 3 weeks. You'd think an hour in the mornings would be enough to shower, dry hair, get dressed, eat breakfast, make school lunch, pick up things for school which are organized the night before but sometimes she is still pokey. But she has some "special needs" so we give her extra time. If she gets up at the same time she is used to but has 15 or 20 minutes more every morning since she will be in middle school and it starts later than elementary school maybe we can be a bit more lax about shower time. The issue isn't so much how long she is in the shower as it is if there will be enough hot water for the rest of the family. I am thinking my husband - who is really the one proposing such short shower time- hasn't really tested how quickly the hot water recovers between showers. He spent his youth in Oklahoma where drought is part of every day life so maybe he is still in that "we're gonna run out of water" mindset.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:48 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
OK so it seems 7 minutes most people believe is too short. We'll let her try in increments up to 10-12 minutes and let her see how much time it takes to really shower. Both girls are basically taking 2 showers every day in the summer. The first one in the morning to go to school or camp and the 2nd one in the afternoons when they get out of the swimming pool. If they don't play outside the rest of the day they have the choice to not bathe the next morning but both seem to want to. During the winter I don't even want them to shower ever day but again this is their choice. They are developing young ladies and I think they should be very careful about hygiene and I suspect they will want to shower every day even during the winter. They are just now starting to use deodorant-although not regularly. it isn't a habit yet.

I'm afraid I don't understand this. A pool is like a bath in a way...

Old 07-18-2014, 02:00 PM

351 posts, read 587,272 times
Default Because of the chlorine in the pool water...

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I'm afraid I don't understand this. A pool is like a bath in a way...
As children we were always made to take at least a quick shower when we were finished using the pool. We were told we had to rinse the chlorine water off.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:10 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
umm no it isn't. Chlorine can do a real number on skin and hair unless it is completely washed away.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:13 PM

800 posts, read 1,297,603 times
i swam for years in highschool, i love the feel of a chlorine "shower". i skipped many showers if i was in a pool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.