Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 11:48 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times

Advertisements

My children needed morning showers to help them wake up.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:54 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
I agree with the others who suggested showering in the evening. I wouldn't time the shower...at least she's interested in getting clean. Some kids don't have any interest in showering at that age.

My 12 year old wouldn't be able to stand having me in the bathroom while she showered. She takes the time that she takes and that's it. My kids' shower is not as nice as mine...it's a standard size but feels small, and it has a very basic showerhead on a hose. So they're not likely to linger in there because of the lovely surroundings. Sometimes I let them shower in my bathroom because I have a bigger shower and an oversized showerhead, but they get the floor all wet and take my towels to their rooms and don't bring them back, so they don't get to use my shower often.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
The girls use the shower in our master bedroom. The shower is entirely glass and [rain shower head].
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My kids' shower is not as nice as mine...it's a standard size but feels small, and it has a very basic showerhead on a hose. So they're not likely to linger in there because of the lovely surroundings.
It's a good idea to relegate the girls to the less luxurious shower in the house. There's not much dancing to be done in a small shower that doesn't have a rain shower head. Plus, they're getting very close to the age where they won't want to shower in a glass shower with their dad around. They might become uncomfortable having mom around while they shower soon too.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:05 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,383,968 times
I check on my 8 year old after 15-20 minutes. She's usually rinsing out her hair by then. Sometimes she'll ask for another five minutes, which I'm usually okay with. She showers in the evenings.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:05 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,233 times
7 minutes seems way too short. I think the suggestion of having her shower in the evening instead is a better idea, and then if she needs a wake up shower in the morning that can be short.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:10 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
She has short hair and doesn't shave her legs yet. We have a wonderful rain shower head which, I admit, is conducive to longer showers than the typical shower head. But I've watched her a few times and she stands under it having dreams of being a fairy dancing under a waterfall and the time gets away from her. We bought a special timer for her and I think 7 minutes is plenty long. Suggestions?

When I was her age my father would bang on the water pipes outside with a wrench to let me know I was taking too long. he would yell "You either have the cleanest hair in town or the dirtiest hair in town".
Does that 7 minutes include waiting for the hot water to reach the faucet? I think this is a little extreme. Let the kid do her thing, but make her get up earlier.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:41 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,056,725 times
7 min is too short even for me,
14 min is about right,
21 min there'd be no hot water for anyone else, you selfish clod. You can shower LAST if you want to waste all hot water.

In-line tankless water heaters encourage wasteful behavior, because there is always 'more' hot water.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:44 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
Inline - Tax Credit to Put one in
Inline - Natural Gas Bill Goes down
Inline - Can be more efficient in my use of Electric power, but doing Hot Water Item one right after each other.
- Can do load of Wash in morning and pop it in Electric Dryer and run it at 7am (Lower Elec Demand then.)
Instead of 4pm when Elec Demand in High
- Can run the dishwasher When i leave for work, Hot water for dishes, Low Elec Demand time for the dry cycle.

The Water that is pull'ed from the lake is send thru the sewer and deposited just down stream of the lake so there is no Net water loss.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:44 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
7 minutes? Why? I find that shower/bath time is also a time to unwind, think quietly, no other distractions. My daughter is 8 and I give her 15min-30 min. I am a grown adult and I like long showers too. I think 7 minutes is far too short for most people to take a relaxing shower.
I can't believe how many people take long showers. I am absolutely shocked that so many people mentioned taking showers lasting up to 30 minute or even longer.

I wash my hair and sometimes shave my underarms and I am still out in less than 10 minutes. That has been my pattern my whole life starting from when the well at home would literally "run dry" if you wasted too much water.

Don't people realize that there is a severe water shortage in many areas of the country?

One county over from me in Wisconsin has a limit on new subdivisions being built because of the limited water available.

My son lives in California and chastises us if we flush the toilet too often when we visit (and he is much more lenient than many of his friends regarding water usage). If I took a 30 minute shower he would probably think that I was single handedly trying to keep drinking water from his family or irrigation water from the farmers trying to raise food to feed America.

Last edited by germaine2626; 07-18-2014 at 01:49 PM..

Old 07-18-2014, 12:49 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,627,689 times
I would think, even as a 12 year old needs some privacy when in the bathroom. Even if the kid was picking her nose, sometimes you need full privacy. No matter what she is doing in the bathroom, I think getting timed is terrible.

I had 3 boys trust me, they can do all sorts of things in a bathroom, but I feel, (because i feel for me also) that when I am in there and the door is locked, whatever I am doing in there is none of anyone's business....

It is the one place where one can escape from the world, if even for 20 minutes.
So if she wants to be a fairy under a waterfall, so what, let her, but how do you even know that?? did she tell you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.