Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 10:12 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,750,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
As the OP said, her daughter daydreams in the shower. She will have to begin adjusting to a new school schedule shortly, which will require her to focus on showering and getting dressed before the bus comes. I think the OP is smart to ease into the transition now, while her daughter has a few weeks to practice.
If daydreaming is making the kid late for school, address that as an issue of timekeeping then. Have her get up earlier if she wants to shower before school. If she prefers to sleep in, she can shower after school.

The child is old enough to make her own choices about such things--not to be timed in the shower by mommy.

FYI when my daughter was 12, she was getting herself up and taking the train to school by herself. And she is no genius.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:17 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Oh. If this is a time management issue, it is time to put it in her hands.
Middle school is the right time to have her be in charge of getting herself together.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:30 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,973,670 times
The OP has said she is not returning to this thread, and I can't blame her. There are some pretty off base innuendos being made, all from an innocent question about how long it's reasonable for a kid to shower.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:46 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,478,260 times
NK, why don't you and your daughter work together with the clock or timer to decide what a reasonable amount of time is to shower when time is of the essence (school mornings, and/or when multiple people are getting ready for an event). Also discuss the difference between a shower that is more "functional" (normal, everyday shower) and a shower that is more "luxurious" (occasional treat) and which is appropriate when. And perhaps the cool showerhead is only used on those occasions...Sometimes dreamers need that kind of stuff explained to them.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:00 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,919,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
If daydreaming is making the kid late for school, address that as an issue of timekeeping then. Have her get up earlier if she wants to shower before school. If she prefers to sleep in, she can shower after school.

The child is old enough to make her own choices about such things--not to be timed in the shower by mommy.

FYI when my daughter was 12, she was getting herself up and taking the train to school by herself. And she is no genius.
This.

Why can't this child make her own choices? Every single thread about her I get the sense that she's just trying to get some freedom from her overbearing mother. I would imagine most 12 year olds would feel rather oppressed if a parent watched them in a "pure glass shower that can easily be seen from the bed" then proceeded to set a strict minute limit.

It's micromanagement. And if that's considered an "off base innuendo," fine.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:04 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,938,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
Amen Hunter! Army guy here, so I know the deal with shower times. I understand the Navy is the worst with it since they have to conserve water on the ship, but at least there are showers. On long patrols in Mesopotamia we'd go for a week or two with just wiping our bodies down with damp rags, not exactly good for the skin, and all that sweat and grim that gets caked into a layer between you and your clothing, but you have to make do with what you can.

Most Americans are just wussies and I can't believe how many adults have posted here that a parent they don't even know should just allow a child they don't know to do whatever that child wants. What better way to grow a generation of entitled brats?...(oh wait, smartphones, never mind)
Children are not enlisted in the military and don't need military rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting