Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 12:32 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,960,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLawMusicWriting View Post
I agree with your post here ...hola.
It sure didn't lower mi astute IQ as i am going for mi juris doctor in due course."
I will procure juris doctor,i have my master's degree,same field that i have procured-
B.A. along with AAS so a light spanking sure did not undermine mi ability to succeed,nor did it
um "lower my I.Q."
I have a wonderful suburban healthy happy life,after being lightly spank as a child."

Enjoy your afternoon everyone..."

adios

------
"I respect those who are able to advance a meaningful subject without attempting to
force one's own opine on another."
-----
I respect a strong/independent/focus/determined person
who live by ACTION & not just"words."

-----------
Love Law,Writing,Music Lover.
Shall procure mi Juris Doctor soon enough..."
Love making a positive difference 24/7."

It's like rain on your wedding day......

Old 06-21-2014, 12:34 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
The foremost researcher in a given field is very often ideologically driven. Ever heard of Alfred Kinsey?

Nothing you've said proves a causal link as opposed to a correlation, which suggests, once again, that you don't know the difference.

Professor Straus does know the difference btw, but he counts on his audience not knowing it.

Not very.
Oh right, it's a conspiracy... and why don't you address some of the points made instead of just insisting it's unfair to come to that conclusion?

And yes, I do understand the difference... I never once used the word 'cause', you did. But I do think that correlations, when they're extremely strong are a pretty good indicator of causation. The correlation between drinking and driving and car accidents springs to mind.

Last edited by Spatula City; 06-21-2014 at 12:52 PM..

Old 06-21-2014, 12:47 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Interestingly, parents often say they spank in a deliberate way rather than out of emotion, but here is a new audio link that shows otherwise. (The study is not perfect, but...)

Parents also say that the mild spanking or swat deters the behavior, but in this audio, parents have to repeat the spankings within about 10 minutes for similar offenses

Real-time audio of corporal punishment shows kids misbehave within 10 minutes of spanking | SMU Research

Quote:
“From the audio, we heard parents hitting their children for the most extraordinarily mundane offenses, typically violations of social conventions,” Holden said. “Also, corporal punishment wasn’t being used as a last resort. On average, parents hit or spanked just half a minute after the conflict began.”
Quote:
Most remarkably, the researchers noted an unusual finding: The rate of corporal punishment exceeded estimates in other studies, which relied on parents self-reporting. Those studies found that American parents of a 2-year-old typically report they spank or slap about 18 times a year.

“The average rate we observed using the real-time audio equates to an alarming 18 times a week,” said Holden, a professor in the SMU Department of Psychology who has carried out extensive research on spanking.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:58 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLawMusicWriting View Post
[color="DarkSlateGray"][b]I agree with your post here ...hola.
It sure didn't lower mi astute IQ as i am going for mi juris doctor in due course."
I will procure juris doctor,i have my master's degree,same field that i have procured-
B.A. along with AAS so a light spanking sure did not undermine mi ability to succeed,nor did it
um "lower my I.Q."
I have a wonderful suburban healthy happy life,after being lightly spank as a child."

Enjoy your afternoon everyone..."
There is a huge difference between lightly spanking, and using a belt. Hopefully you understand the distinction before you defend anybody in court.

I find it interesting that those who claim they were beaten as kids, and it did them no harm, rarely say they currently beat their own offspring.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:07 PM

624 posts, read 763,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh please. Taking a belt to your own child is not a reasonable option. Likely it was done to them and they didn't know any better. The very least you can do is admit it wasn't the best choice and not pass it forward to the next generation.

You know, people used to think it was perfectly okay to do the same with wilful wives if they misbehaved.
As long as you didn't use a stick wider than your thumb.

Thumb used for Abuse

It is often claimed that the term's etymological origin lies in a law that limited the maximum thickness of a stick with which it was permissible for a man to beat his wife.[6][7][2] British common law before the reign of Charles II permitted a man to give his wife "moderate correction", but no "rule of thumb" (whether called by this name or not) has ever been the law in England.[8][9] Such "moderate correction" specifically excluded beatings, allowing the husband only to confine a wife to the household.[10]
Nonetheless, belief in the existence of a "rule of thumb" law to excuse spousal abuse can be traced as far back as 1782, the year that James Gillray published his satirical cartoon Judge Thumb. The cartoon lambastes Sir Francis Buller, a British judge, for allegedly ruling that a man may legally beat his wife, provided that he used a stick no thicker than his thumb, although it is questionable whether Buller ever made such a pronouncement.[11] The Body of Liberties adopted in 1641 by the Massachusetts Bay colonists states, “Every married woman shall be free from bodily correction or stripes by her husband, unless it be in his own defense from her assault.”[12] In the United States, legal decisions in Mississippi (1824) and North Carolina (1868 and 1874) make reference to—and reject—an unnamed "old doctrine" or "ancient law" by which a man was allowed to beat his wife with a stick no wider than his thumb.[7] For example, the 1874 case State v. Oliver (North Carolina Reports, Vol. 70, Sec. 60, p. 44) states: "We assume that the old doctrine that a husband had the right to whip his wife, provided that he used a switch no larger than his thumb, is not the law in North Carolina." In 1976, feminist Del Martin used the phrase "rule of thumb" as a metaphorical reference to describe such a doctrine. She was misinterpreted by many as claiming the doctrine as a direct origin of the phrase and the connection gained currency in 1982, when the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights issued a report on wife abuse, titled "Under the Rule of Thumb".[9][13]

Old 06-21-2014, 01:07 PM

92 posts, read 101,817 times
Anyone who thinks this is normal and not abuse is seriously warped in the head: Judge William Adams beats daughter for using the internet (update) - YouTube

Old 06-21-2014, 01:19 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulblueskies View Post
Anyone who thinks this is normal and not abuse is seriously warped in the head: Judge William Adams beats daughter for using the internet (update) - YouTube
It's abusive conduct, and poor parenting, but is not criminal.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
There is a huge difference between lightly spanking, and using a belt. Hopefully you understand the distinction before you defend anybody in court.
Spanking with a belt is not, per se, illegal in the United States.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ma-suprem...t/1300899.html

Last edited by djacques; 06-21-2014 at 01:34 PM..

Old 06-21-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
Oh right, it's a conspiracy... and why don't you address some of the points made instead of just insisting it's unfair to come to that conclusion?
Because I don't care to debate technical minutiae with people whose interest is obviously ideological. Challenging Professor Straus on spanking would be as fruitful as challenging the Pope on transubstantiation.

We can safely add "conspiracy" to the list of terms you don't understand.

Quote:
And yes, I do understand the difference... I never once used the word 'cause', you did. But I do think that correlations, when they're extremely strong are a pretty good indicator of causation. The correlation between drinking and driving and car accidents springs to mind.
You said "spanking lowers a child's IQ." That's pretty obviously an assertion of a causal relationship.

The correlation between car accidents and impaired driving are only causally linked because of mediating data on the effect of alcohol on reaction times and so forth. Even at that, it is undeniably true that not every vehicle accident that occurs when someone has been drinking was caused by alcohol, or could've been avoided had alcohol not been consumed.

When there is mediating data demonstrating a plausible mechanism for spanking causing a depression in IQ score, I will listen to it.

Last edited by djacques; 06-21-2014 at 01:41 PM..

Old 06-21-2014, 01:34 PM

92 posts, read 101,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
It's abusive conduct, and poor parenting, but is not criminal.
I'm not arguing if it's criminal, I'm stating using a belt is abusive as clearly demonstrated in the video. Some people think it's not abusive and normal, and that's unfortunate and ashamed that they don't know how to parent without hitting their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.