Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 11:43 AM

13,496 posts, read 10,001,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
You have a right to your opinion. Since I was there and you were not, my opinion counts for more.
Oh please. Taking a belt to your own child is not a reasonable option. Likely it was done to them and they didn't know any better. The very least you can do is admit it wasn't the best choice and not pass it forward to the next generation.

You know, people used to think it was perfectly okay to do the same with wilful wives if they misbehaved.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:46 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,497,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
How often they were spanked made a difference. The more spanking, the greater the IQ difference. There was a lower IQ average in countries where spanking was most prevalent. There was a higher incidence of irrational fear in children who had been spanked, also tied to lower IQ. The foremost researcher in the field conducted the study.
The foremost researcher in a given field is very often ideologically driven. Ever heard of Alfred Kinsey?

Nothing you've said proves a causal link as opposed to a correlation, which suggests, once again, that you don't know the difference.

Professor Straus does know the difference btw, but he counts on his audience not knowing it.

Quote:
If you think you're smarter than me, him and everyone else, then feel free to conduct your own study but in the meantime I think there's a pretty strong case here.
Not very.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:48 AM

92 posts, read 101,929 times
Using a belt is being violent ("using or involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something"), being violent towards another person repeatedly or regularly is abuse.

Plain and simple.

So for the people who call us weak for believing it's abuse, why not just accept that you were abused since you don't think anything is wrong with it, own it, be proud of it!

Old 06-21-2014, 11:48 AM

25 posts, read 44,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywha View Post
I was spanked with a belt. 3 swats maximum. The hits were never in the heat of the moment, I was sent to my room first for about 15 minutes to think about what I had done and for mom or dad to cool down before giving out the punishment. I am proud to say that I am a kind and caring person who considers consequences before actions . My parents spanked with a belt, I was not abused.I was not "whooped", I did not have my "ass beat", as some people like to call it.

This topic is always exerted in forum(s)to FB to other sites.and i want to encompass today how i do not think
that:
1.)a light spanking is at ALL,a form of child abuse,not even close.(cps will submit false evidence to prove otherwise,turn a hard-working"good father's/mother's once happy home,and their entire life upside down/some who spent life savings/to fight such falsity against him or her,then lose job,(if job learn of CPS)-completely undermine,when cps remove child all premise on a light spanking.Not fair.and CPS should be ashamed of themselves or lock up for submitting false reports.A "light spanking"isn't abuse,by any means.

2.)Now discipline by use of a Belt? I have met some have been hit with growing up (born mi self late 70s)but i was not hit by a belt at all.but spank if i was well being mouthy,and disrespectful. Grown adult now?i understand discipline sure is warranted,at times but "not abuse,with i.e. serious injuries,bruising on a child,IS abuse to me.Not a light fanny swap etc....

I appreciate the "light form of discipline"at times,for the five of us in our household growing up.Wasn't abuse at all.I've seen working in the field i do,"Real abuse and or neglect." So to me it simply depend on how the parent is utilizing and administering such form of disipline.... a light spanking,is not abusive though to me at all and all our siblings are college educated,astute in the field mi self in the law,procuring juris doctor in due course."

Have a great day everyone.God speed to us all .

adios.

------
Love Law,Writing,Music Lover.
"Shall procure mi Juris Doctor soon enough..."
"Love making a positive difference 24/7."

Last edited by LoveLawMusicWriting; 06-21-2014 at 12:08 PM..

Old 06-21-2014, 11:50 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,383,493 times
Children are people. We are taught hitting people is wrong. We are expected not to hit our spouses or friends if they do something we disapprove of, or if they "misbehave." If you gave your spouse a hiding with a belt for breaking your rules (outside of the bedroom, of course), it is abuse. Your spouse is a person. Your child is a person.

It is perfectly possible to disciple without corporal punishment. It is perfectly possible to maintain rules and limits and guidelines without corporal punishment.

Refusing to use corporal punishment does not equal permissive parenting.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:50 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,497,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulblueskies View Post
So for the people who call us weak for believing it's abuse, why not just accept that you were abused since you don't think anything is wrong with it, own it, be proud of it!
If it were that simple, you'd be right. Unfortunately to do so would be to invite people to conflate--intentionally or unintentionally--your dictionary definition of abuse with the criminological standard of abuse, which would then cause hardship to good parents.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:55 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,922,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toysoldier1982 View Post
For give or take 200,000 years human beings have used corporal punishment to curb bad behavior and rewards to reinforce good behavior.

Now take a gander at some of the current results of the American "don't discipline your kids movement" - violence and mass shootings are at all time highs, bullying is rampant and on a whole 'nother level, drug, alcohol, and sex are up across the board, suicide rates through the roof, etc, etc.

Just like the Japanese (and every other non-American country) Smoker's Paradox all these studies you post are rigged nonsense. Any study can come out any way you want it to fit your political or financial agenda. You need only look at direct results - America since namby pampy mode kicked in is in decline in every facet of life, Asian countries still beat and still thrive.
Oh, really?

Teenage sex is on a decline - Is This a Golden Age of Teen Sexual Responsibility?
Gun violence is on a decline - http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fv9311.pdf
Except for marijuana, drug use is on a decline as is alcohol - Survey: Teens' drug, alcohol use declining
So is teenage sex - Is This a Golden Age of Teen Sexual Responsibility?
As is suicide - Death Rates for Suicide, 1950

So, what is it you were saying?

Old 06-21-2014, 11:57 AM

3,428 posts, read 3,352,865 times
Let me drive a point home...
As I said, my Dad spanked me, but ONLY when I got way out of line. I attended a school many years ago at which some of the staff used belts. I reported this and no action was taken (In fact, I was whipped MORE by staff 'cause I snitched). But I didn't think that spanking with a belt spawned violence.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:24 PM

25 posts, read 44,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I'm not sure what other than low IQ or lack of being taught statistics could explain the inability to distinguish a statistical correlation from a causal relationship.
I agree with your post here ...hola.
It sure didn't lower mi astute IQ as i am going for mi juris doctor in due course."
I will procure juris doctor,i have my master's degree,same field that i have procured-
B.A. along with AAS so a light spanking sure did not undermine mi ability to succeed,nor did it
um "lower my I.Q."
I have a wonderful suburban healthy happy life,after being lightly spank as a child."

Enjoy your afternoon everyone..."

adios

------
"I respect those who are able to advance a meaningful subject without attempting to
force one's own opine on another."
-----
I respect a strong/independent/focus/determined person
who live by ACTION & not just"words."

-----------
Love Law,Writing,Music Lover.
Shall procure mi Juris Doctor soon enough..."
Love making a positive difference 24/7."

Old 06-21-2014, 12:29 PM

13,496 posts, read 10,001,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Let me drive a point home...
As I said, my Dad spanked me, but ONLY when I got way out of line. I attended a school many years ago at which some of the staff used belts. I reported this and no action was taken (In fact, I was whipped MORE by staff 'cause I snitched). But I didn't think that spanking with a belt spawned violence.
I am at a loss as to what point is being driven anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting