Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:45 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,907,369 times

Advertisements

Okay I have a relative who I suspect has some mental illness problems(that she'll never seek help for). I've tried to set some boundaries with her in the past with some success.

Over the holidays this person was over the top with paranoia, elaborate bizarre stories, excessively ruminating. Very short version of events.

I'm not sure what to do next with my kids though. Not see this person again because of the behaviors , or continue to see them and hope that this won't happen again for a long time.

If I decide not to let my kids see this person again, I'm sure this particular relative won't take any responsibility for their role in the situation.

What do others do in this situation...do you see it as best to cut a person like that out of your lives, for the sake of your kids....or do you think something positive can still be gained from the kids knowing their relative, despite this person having a very dysfunctional grasp on life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 09:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,997,353 times
I would let my kids see the relative -- even for their sakes so they can see first hand that some people don't act right.

They're going to encounter people like this at some point anyhow -- and you can help explain it to them. It's a good opportunity to help them understand mental illness.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:03 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,907,369 times
Thanks for the replying.

I'm still deciding what to do.

One of the problems is that some of the ruminating and paranoia is directed at other people in my family and my husband's extended family. I'm wondering how to counteract my kids hearing what are either gross exaggerations or plain lies about other people that they love.

Feel really confused.....wondering how my kids will look back on my handling of these issues.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:16 AM

22,870 posts, read 48,213,616 times
We had a crazy aunt.
She was the one that made the family gatherings interesting as we were growing up. Our parents used her as a teaching opportunity once we returned home.

We reminisced plenty about her this Christmas... lots of funny stories.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:32 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,177,484 times
OP, if your children are old enough you could explain to them that the relative is ill and sometimes says things that are not true.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:34 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,822,636 times
How old are your children?

Seems like a good opportunity to model both boundary setting and compassion for the mentally ill. You can give age-appropriate explanations for things the aunt says.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:35 AM

14,373 posts, read 18,496,419 times
As long as she's not being abusive or directing any venom at the children, I don't see the problem. You simply explain said relative is mentally ill and that nothing they say can be taken seriously. Direct them to be kind and maybe give them some stock phrases for dealing with her. Avoid leaving them alone with her, just for their own comfort levels.

As long as everyone acknowledges that she is disturbed, and as long as no one gives her any credibility, I think the kids will be fine. Problems start when dysfunction or abusive treatment goes unacknowledged/unconfronted.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:40 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,504,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
I'm wondering how to counteract my kids hearing what are either gross exaggerations or plain lies about other people that they love.
Imagine if that person lived with your family. My sister's MIL moved in with them last year. She's losing her mind, and it got much worse recently. My sister's children had the joy of hearing her accuse their parents of trying to poison her. Fortunately she's doing better since the doctor put her on medication for dementia.

You'll need to weigh the time of exposure with the severity of what's being said. I personally would limit the time spent around the person, but I wouldn't avoid family gatherings if I wanted my children to see other family members.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,997,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
Thanks for the replying.

I'm still deciding what to do.

One of the problems is that some of the ruminating and paranoia is directed at other people in my family and my husband's extended family. I'm wondering how to counteract my kids hearing what are either gross exaggerations or plain lies about other people that they love.

Feel really confused.....wondering how my kids will look back on my handling of these issues.
The truth. You can do whatever you want -- and it can depend on your kids, if they are very sensitive or how bad the things the relatives says might be. My kids got to see an uncle who was in great pain and dying who had been on dialysis for some time who got kind of mean at the end. He didn't want to see people any more so the kids had to realize that it was the pain and despair talking, not him.

It can be a lesson on mental illness. Kids can understand an awful lot. Imagine kids who have a mentally ill parent -- and some do.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:22 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,459,704 times
I think it depends entirely on the ages of your kids. I had my demented mother in my home for 10 years-mostly while my kids were teens.We talked about it and the things she said and did and i explained to them how sick Granny was an dhow we did not have to love the things she said but we still loved her cause she couldn't help it. I finally put her in assisted living. Then we adopted two little ones and they were about 4 or 5 when she died but they were taken up to see Granny as frequently as possible. Funny thing is none of the 4 kids remember much about Granny now. I guess we did a good job of shielding them from the hurt she caused us, especially me. Although my son remembers how devastated I was when she threatened to put me in jail for some minor thing which didn't even happen except in her mind. I find if I don't mention her nobody else does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting