Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 04:18 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,856,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkn006 View Post
Thanks for all posts, Looking at various websites for travel system and crib as suggested by posts.. Trying to any stores that sell used ones, I'm told that the travel system/car seat will be useful for an year or two and then we need to get another car seat.
Ok used clothes, good idea.

Used crib or car seat, bad idea. Especially the car seat. You can probably find a crib that meets todays safety standards if you search and educate yourself a bit but a carseat that has been in an accident, even a minor one, should never be used again even if it looks perfectly fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 05:38 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,611,844 times
Sorry, I didn't read every single post, but here's my answer to the original question.

Travel system = a car seat that attaches to a stroller to turn it into something you can push the baby around in. Babies can't sit in regular strollers (because they can't sit at all). Once the child can sit up, you can remove the car seat part and just use it as a stroller. However, you can still use the car seat in the car, as a car seat, for a pretty long time. This is probably the piece of equipment you will use the most, and it's not a good place to skimp. And it's risky to buy a used car seat - if the seat has been in an accident, then it might not offer the same protection as it did when it was new. So you really need a good travel system. We never needed a second seat or a second base (ours didn't have a base that came off - it was all one thing) while my son was small. We didn't drive him around that much, and he didn't go to daycare. Unless you're sure you're going to be driving him around a lot, in both cars, then I would suggest just getting one to begin with and then getting another seat once you really know what you need.

Stroller - these are cheap and easy to get when you need it (when the child is a bit older). You don't need one now.

Crib - we actually never used ours at all. The baby slept in something called a co-sleeper (Arm's Reach brand), that I kept next to the bed. It's like a Pack-and-play, but sturdier and smaller. We also had a pack and play that we never used even one time. We ended up putting him in our own bed around 5 months, and by the time he moved into his own he was ready for a regular-sized bed. Fortunately, our crib converted to a real bed, so it wasn't a complete waste. Get something safe for the baby to sleep in - one thing - but it doesn't really matter what it is. They are not that picky when they're tiny.

Other things we did not need - a diaper-changing station. A diaper changing pad on the floor worked much better and was safer and easier. Also, bottle sterlizer was useless. Likewise diaper pail, and actually, high chair. He preferred a little booster seat with a tray, and then just a booster seat. High chair was a total waste for us, plus you can't use it until they are much older, so it just sits around taking up space while they're babies.

Just get the minimum now - you can always get more things later when you know what you actually need.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:40 PM

6,895 posts, read 7,982,458 times
You don't want a used car seat...could have been in an accident at some point, and they generally get pretty gross anyway.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:48 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,836,018 times
Don't bother with an expensive crib, and don't be pulled in by the "convertible" cribs that turn into what's basically just a headboard. There are fairly cheap cribs out there that are just as safe as the expensive ones, and your child doesn't need their crib to turn into a headboard later on.

Also, I personally hated the large stroller I got. It was heavy and cumbersome. Instead, I always used the Baby Bjorn, which was fantastic. When I needed a stroller, I used an umbrella stroller (cheap and lightweight), and that worked fine.

No need for a bassinet - I never had one, and it was no biggie.

Also, there's no need for a changing table. I always changed my kid on the floor (on top of a blanket), or on the bed, or on the couch, etc. Changing tables are a little awkward anyway.

Here's a great website for child car seat reviews: Child Safety Seat Ease of Use Ratings

Old 11-27-2013, 09:19 PM

11,495 posts, read 27,046,493 times
One thing about everyone saying you don't need a stroller at the very beginning...if you have a c-section, the stroller is useful even when you're leaving the hospital...the first few days it hurts to lift anything and they won't clear you to lift more than 10 lbs for a few weeks, which the baby and the infant car seat together are definitely more than 10 lbs. I got a lot of use out of my stroller while I was recovering.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:13 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,375,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I had 4 without a bassinet. If we had to bring baby to our room we used a laundry basket-either wicker or plastic and made sure no rough edges or wrapped them in sheets. My mother had me and my brother in empty drawers from the dresser! Don't bother with diaper genie or all those extra things which make a baby so expensive. Receiving blankets can be kitchen towels or cloth diapers if you use them only for over the shoulder safety.

Any older mother will tell you they raised kids just fine without all the extra things they sell today. Most of us turned out just fine!
My mother also used a wooden drawer from a dresser for me as a baby. It was recommended in all of the baby books at that time (and no, I'm not joking).

Many great ideas in the thread.

Happy parenting.

PS. One tip. Address all of the baby announcement envelopes while you are still pregnant and then have a nice photograph (with the important info) printed at a one hour photo place like Walgreens. Very easy to do and quick to send out.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:18 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,909,518 times
Congratulations on your impending arrival! I have an almost 5 month old son and one of the *best* purchases we made was the Britax B-Agile Stroller (which is also available as a travel system).

I read many reviews prior to choosing it, and it was definitely the right choice!

The stroller is super easy to fold, light to lift, and very, very easy to push and control. Plus, my son loves it! It is on the expensive side but it is totally worth it!

Good Luck!

Old 11-28-2013, 06:20 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,909,518 times
P.S Get a stroller from the beginning. Even if you aren't up to walking the stroller, your husband might be able to take the baby around the neighborhood, weather permitting

Old 11-28-2013, 06:27 PM

14,413 posts, read 22,624,150 times
I second what Glamatomic wrote!!

I was on here a while go asking about strollers. I decided to get an Britax B Agile travel system. The stroller with car seat and base all cost brand new $299 online, free shipping on Amazone or other online stores. If you buy it in a store such as Babies R Us it usually cost more
(350 - 400)
The stroller weighs only 16 pounds and are so so easy to maneuver around. The stroller by itself cost around $180 , also online. You can obviously find a much cheaper Britax stroller used and buy a new car seat to go with it. You can go to a store where they sell strollers and tezt it out but I would defiantly by it online to save money.

As far as bed, I would buy a play-pen or pack and play. They are cheap and you can bring it with you when you travel. Also look in thrift stores for used cribs. Just make sure the mattress is new!

And one thing you want to stock up on is Onesies! You can never have too many of those.

Changing table is not needed either and a baby bath tub is also useless. I gave my son a bath in the kitchen sink. But I did buy my baby a seat that attached to the bathtub when he was around 6 months old. That was great because he could sit up by himself without me having to hold him or watch him every second. I could turn around and grab something or reach for something without worrying that he would fall over ...

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 11-28-2013 at 06:44 PM..

Old 11-28-2013, 06:32 PM

14,413 posts, read 22,624,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
One thing about everyone saying you don't need a stroller at the very beginning...if you have a c-section, the stroller is useful even when you're leaving the hospital...the first few days it hurts to lift anything and they won't clear you to lift more than 10 lbs for a few weeks, which the baby and the infant car seat together are definitely more than 10 lbs. I got a lot of use out of my stroller while I was recovering.
Yea, I used a stroller the first week out of the hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting