Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 01:14 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,497,744 times

Advertisements

My husband and I both 25 are throwing around the idea of having a baby.. Nothing is set in stone just talking. He's concerned becasue we're are still renting, and don't have a house of our own yet. Possible buying next year. My husband is a police officer making just about 50k,I stay at home. Can anyone give me some opinions, with the renting, income etc if you think it'd be a wise choice to think about having a baby. Most people I know, were renting when they had their first baby and later bought a house. I feel like I'm getting a bit older now and would like to have a baby before 30. My mom had her last at 39 and I saw how hard it was on her. What are your opinions of having a child at our age and is it do able?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 01:53 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,569,736 times
[quote=Tarastomsgirl;2077171]My husband and I both 25 are throwing around the idea of having a baby.. Nothing is set in stone just talking. He's concerned becasue we're are still renting, and don't have a house of our own yet. Possible buying next year. My husband is a police officer making just about 50k,I stay at home. Can anyone give me some opinions, with the renting, income etc if you think it'd be a wise choice to think about having a baby. Most people I know, were renting when they had their first baby and later bought a house. I feel like I'm getting a bit older now and would like to have a baby before 30. My mom had her last at 39 and I saw how hard it was on her. What are your opinions of having a child at our age and is it do able?[/QUOTE

I can't speak to your specific income level since I'm not familiar with your part of the country... I would say in the mid-west it is very doable - not an issue at all (as long as you aren't living beyond your means).

I can tell you an old Uncle of mine always said if you wait till you think you can afford them then you would never have them.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:07 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,111,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
What are your opinions of having a child at our age and is it do able?
If you are happily married and want to have children, don't delay it because you are renting right now. You never know if you will encounter any fertility issues (as you age, your fertility will decline) so you should start building your family now if it's something you and your husband want. You can always buy a house in the future. Good luck.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:10 PM

[quote=Dave1215;2077391]
Quote:
My husband and I both 25 are throwing around the idea of having a baby.. Nothing is set in stone just talking. He's concerned becasue we're are still renting, and don't have a house of our own yet. Possible buying next year. My husband is a police officer making just about 50k,I stay at home. Can anyone give me some opinions, with the renting, income etc if you think it'd be a wise choice to think about having a baby. Most people I know, were renting when they had their first baby and later bought a house. I feel like I'm getting a bit older now and would like to have a baby before 30. My mom had her last at 39 and I saw how hard it was on her. What are your opinions of having a child at our age and is it do able?[/QUOTE

I can't speak to your specific income level since I'm not familiar with your part of the country... I would say in the mid-west it is very doable - not an issue at all (as long as you aren't living beyond your means).

I can tell you an old Uncle of mine always said if you wait till you think you can afford them then you would never have them.

I live in NE , but I live in NH.. We can buy our first home for $ 150,000 easy. I think its very doable myself, the hubby I think is scared out of his mind. He'll just keep saying, I'll get you your baby, thats been going on for 3 years now. I'm thinking it relates to your saying, he keeps waiting and waiting and waiting but its like the time never comes where its "time" per se.. I dunno, I mean I definetly don't want to rush him or force him at all. I do though want to start one in the next year or two.. Its a toss up for me.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
If you are happily married and want to have children, don't delay it because you are renting right now. You never know if you will encounter any fertility issues (as you age, your fertility will decline) so you should start building your family now if it's something you and your husband want. You can always buy a house in the future. Good luck.
Thank you thats what I say.. We've been happily married now for 3 years together for 7. I don't forsee anything changing in the future.. My only fear, getting killed on the job for him. But then again you can die slipping in the shower so I can't linger on it

Old 11-24-2007, 02:22 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,945,340 times
If you are ready, then it's definitely the right time I've had 3 children - one at 22, one at 29, and one at 34. I'm way more patient now but had much more energy at 22 LOL
I agree that waiting for financial reasons is silly - there truly is never enough $$$ for kids and it only gets worse as they get older.

Keep in mind, too, that you don't need piles of baby gadgets and the latest fashions. Your little one will be happy if he/she is fed, warm, and snuggling next to mommy.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Thank you thats what I say.. We've been happily married now for 3 years together for 7. I don't forsee anything changing in the future.. My only fear, getting killed on the job for him. But then again you can die slipping in the shower so I can't linger on it
Just make sure you budget for adequate life insurance, but more importantly disabililty insurance. A disability would affect you more than death. Most likely this is already a component of his benefits package, so that should ease your mind (at least financially)... hopefully you have good strong family in the area in case of one of those issues good strong male family members (uncles, etc) could step in and at least provide some of that male influence - factor that into your discussions about a Will in case both of you go.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
I agree that waiting for financial reasons is silly - there truly is never enough $$$ for kids and it only gets worse as they get older.
I'm not sure about it being silly - as there a examples of folks who are in very poor areas that keep having kids - maybe they should show some restraint so we as taxpayers don't have to support those kids; however, this is in no way the case for these people. So given their specific situation I would agree that they have been prudent so finances shouldn't be the primary consideration. More discussion on my comment probably is more relevant for the Political forum

Old 11-24-2007, 03:52 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,653,069 times
i dont think 25 is old at all! tons of people wait until they are 30. it is amazing how much some can mature/change in a span of five years so i would wait but of course it is only a suggestion. 25 is not old!

Old 11-24-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
I'm not sure about it being silly - as there a examples of folks who are in very poor areas that keep having kids - maybe they should show some restraint so we as taxpayers don't have to support those kids; however, this is in no way the case for these people. So given their specific situation I would agree that they have been prudent so finances shouldn't be the primary consideration. More discussion on my comment probably is more relevant for the Political forum
We are definetly NOT welfare dependant. With a stable job as a police officer I would hope we would always stay that way We are by no means rich, just average middle class people you meet on the street. I agree if you can't afford to have children then by all means dont!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting