Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 04:02 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,655,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Just make sure you budget for adequate life insurance, but more importantly disabililty insurance. A disability would affect you more than death. Most likely this is already a component of his benefits package, so that should ease your mind (at least financially)... hopefully you have good strong family in the area in case of one of those issues good strong male family members (uncles, etc) could step in and at least provide some of that male influence - factor that into your discussions about a Will in case both of you go.
i think dave is just trying to give good financial advice because your dh is a police officer. alot of times we dont think about the what-ifs enough so it is a good idea to consider the whole financial thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 04:31 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,500,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
i think dave is just trying to give good financial advice because your dh is a police officer. alot of times we dont think about the what-ifs enough so it is a good idea to consider the whole financial thing.
Oh no I understand, believe me my reality of what ifs are much more real to me than say to someone who's spouse works on a computer every day. The fact that every time my husband walks out that door could be his last is with me every second of my life. But I can't linger on that, becasue I wouldn't be able to function, the depression and fear and anxiety would make me just crawl in bed and cry all the time. So we'll take the proper precautions and hope for the best, thats all we can do.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:31 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,414,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
My husband and I both 25 are throwing around the idea of having a baby.. Nothing is set in stone just talking. He's concerned becasue we're are still renting, and don't have a house of our own yet. Possible buying next year. My husband is a police officer making just about 50k,I stay at home. Can anyone give me some opinions, with the renting, income etc if you think it'd be a wise choice to think about having a baby. Most people I know, were renting when they had their first baby and later bought a house. I feel like I'm getting a bit older now and would like to have a baby before 30. My mom had her last at 39 and I saw how hard it was on her. What are your opinions of having a child at our age and is it do able?
It's not quite right to tell anyone: "just go ahead and have a baby, there is never a good time, so just do it" but I'm dyeing to tell you this.

My husband doesn't make that much money for what he is doing either and we had our baby while renting a one bedroom in Brooklyn. A stayed at home for a year and it was tough, but we survived. I nursed thru most of that year so we saved tons of money since we didn't have to buy formula, I got most of clothing from my nephew, so I can't say that baby cost us that much money (believe it or not). We co-slept and still do, so we didn't need another bedroom for Max. You can also try to get Wicks Program where you can get free food and formula.
Finally I went back to work, not only because I wanted to start making money again, but just to be back into the world.
Anyway, I think that it's very possible to survive with flying colors while you are renting, however, if you are planning to buy a house, then you should seriously consider your finances and whether or not you can be a stay at home mom and for how long. Only now we are planning to buy a house, my DS is 2 1/2.

Also, I always said that before and I'll say it again: money is not that much of an issue as the strength of relationship. Having a child is a blessing but it will challenge your marriage in many ways, so the marriage needs to be strong.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:30 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,576,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post

I think no matter the profession a disability is a bigger financial hit than a death - and I think (can't prove it because I can't remember the source) but during the time the kids are being raised that disability is also a higher probability than death.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:18 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
I'm not sure about it being silly - as there a examples of folks who are in very poor areas that keep having kids - maybe they should show some restraint so we as taxpayers don't have to support those kids; however, this is in no way the case for these people. So given their specific situation I would agree that they have been prudent so finances shouldn't be the primary consideration. More discussion on my comment probably is more relevant for the Political forum
Maybe I was too short in my reply - pretty much I have found that anyone who is conscientious enough to be worried about having enough funds to support a child does have enough. It's those like my SIL who do not show any restraint and refuse to use birth control for no good reason - they are the ones who SHOULD be worried and do not. She has a degree but doesn't want to work.

Many potential parents are under the impression that they can't possibly have a child until they have a gazillion put away for a college fund, a brand spankin new nursery, and a pile of toys and baby doo-dads - which of course is nice but certainly not "needed," IYKWIM.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:59 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,197,529 times
Personally.. I think if you want to have a kid, don't let renting stop you. Trust me. My hubby's parents still live in the apartment they raised him in - and they'll probably never buy a house because they're happy where they are.

Me, I have a kid and I live in an apartment. Personally, I think it's great because there's a playground that always seems to have kids - so she gets a lot of socialization during the week.

If you want to wait to have kids, there's no shame in that. If you want to have a child right now, by all means, have one!

Old 11-24-2007, 11:41 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,140,777 times
We married later in life (me 36 & DH 43) and the following happened to us:

We waited to become more financially stable while both establishing new careers where we weren't traveling the majority of the year on business.
......delaying our efforts to start a family for 3 yrs probably helped contribute to our infertility issues which ultimately cost us tens of thousands of dollars in treatment - so much for being more "financially stable";

DH has MS and when we first were married, his MS was manageable.
......while delaying the start of our family, DH's MS progressed and he went into a wheelchair and the whole "changing career" thing went south;

I guess my point is that you just never know what can happen. DH is NOT a police officer whose life is always on the line by virtue of his work yet he ended up disabled.

All we know is that we love each other, have a very strong marriage and know that whatever obstacles are thrown our way are ones that we will work at together. We've thrown a lot of emotion, heartache and money at our dream of becoming parents (I'm FINALLY pregnant with twins!) and it's all been worth it to get to this point in our lives together.

I agree with karens_ who said:

Quote:
pretty much I have found that anyone who is conscientious enough to be worried about having enough funds to support a child does have enough
Where you live truly doesn't matter. My brother and I were both born when my parents were renters. They became 1st time homeowners when I was 6 and we all turned out just fine!

What matters more is providing a loving and stable home for your future child/ren and a desire to be responsible parents. You seem to already be on the road to be responsible parents just by asking these kinds of questions.

Good luck to you!

Old 11-25-2007, 06:17 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,655,764 times
oh my goodness, twins! congrats! take it very easy! it is EXTREMELY hard on the body so dont overdo it (so that your chances of going/making it to full term are better). stay OFF your feet as much as possible those last few months. congrats!

Old 11-25-2007, 03:33 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,500,861 times
After much talking and looking over our situation the hubby and I have decided we are infact going to try to have a child.. Thank you all for your imput we both went over all your opinions and about them.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:30 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,140,777 times
Congratulations and much luck as you TTC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting