Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2008, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,189 times

Advertisements

who is resposible for the travel time for the children of divorced couples whenthe other parent leave the county?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 12:35 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,334,571 times
Do you mean, who is responsible for transportation for visitation when one parent moves away?

Generally it is the one who moved first, but you should always check your court order or divorce decree to be certain.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:37 PM

306 posts, read 1,164,885 times
If you are both caring parents who want what is best for the child then both parents should make the effort for the child to visit the absent parent. The child needs that bond. Just think of the kids who are adopted and always wonder about their birth parent. Its such a massive thing for the child that both parents should help with this if necessary.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:19 AM

904 posts, read 2,883,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyUK View Post
If you are both caring parents who want what is best for the child then both parents should make the effort for the child to visit the absent parent. The child needs that bond. Just think of the kids who are adopted and always wonder about their birth parent. Its such a massive thing for the child that both parents should help with this if necessary.
While I agree in theory, it's not always practical. My X moved out of state and to a town in the middle of nowhere. The closest airport is 2 hours away and it's a small one. A ticket from where the kids and I live to where he lives is usually over $500. We have two kids. There is no way that I can afford that twice a year. When he lived two hours away, we split the driving. It isn't my fault he chose to move so far away and to a remote area. That was his choice. (it wasn't for a job.) I don't feel that I am responsible legally or morally for transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting