Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 09:46 PM

37,715 posts, read 46,149,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Exactly. That's why kids have to learn about appropriateness of dress in different situations.
I never said otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 01:48 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,265,607 times
This is something I'm worrying about - how do you find the happy medium between making sure they're not the "uncool rejects" of school culture but also so that they don't feel they have to always follow the crowd? I have very little experience of this as I went to school in the UK where we had school uniforms so didn't have those worries at school but they don't have school uniforms in Finland so I have no idea how to approach this with my daughter.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:20 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,476,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

And if you don't think boys care about stuff, you've never been around one who just purchased a subwoofer. He doesn't just install it in his trunk and crank up the base to enjoy it by himself. He calls his buds so they too can admire his aquisition.
I didn't say they don't care.
I said I don't think they care as much as girls about following fashion trends, etc.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:53 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,847,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
This is something I'm worrying about - how do you find the happy medium between making sure they're not the "uncool rejects" of school culture but also so that they don't feel they have to always follow the crowd? I have very little experience of this as I went to school in the UK where we had school uniforms so didn't have those worries at school but they don't have school uniforms in Finland so I have no idea how to approach this with my daughter.
My oldest was very upset that she had to wear uniforms first year middle school. Then she went to a different school with no uniforms the following year. She always remarked that she would never have known it, but she missed the easiness of the uniforms. I always support uniforms in school for this reason of this thread. But that's another thread. Lol

Old 11-20-2013, 05:51 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,265,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
My oldest was very upset that she had to wear uniforms first year middle school. Then she went to a different school with no uniforms the following year. She always remarked that she would never have known it, but she missed the easiness of the uniforms. I always support uniforms in school for this reason of this thread. But that's another thread. Lol
Uniforms definitely make it so much easier!

Old 11-20-2013, 09:36 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,476,577 times
I also am in favor of uniforms.
Even simple ones.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:10 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,923,178 times
The middle school in my neighborhood has uniforms, but apparently they just require tan pants on the bottom half and they don't specify loose, or pleated, or anything like that, so all the girls wear pants that look like they were painted on...and the bad thing is, I already know if my daughter went to that school, she'd want pants that tight, and I'd buy them so she would fit in. (I think her jeans fit about the same, they just don't look as tight as tan pants do).

Old 11-20-2013, 12:17 PM

13 posts, read 30,481 times
any time my kid demands petty material goods to be "accepted" they can take a hike.....if my daughter was wearing tight exposing clothing I would be more worried why she requires such attention from boys.....the crap that I see on my nephews instabook makes me want to gag...girls posting videos of them making suggestive movements and posting half naked for the "likers" where the hell are the parents of these kids

Old 11-21-2013, 10:15 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,128,165 times
See my answer in the thread on Jeggings. (I think it is a violation of the TOS for me to repeat it here.)

Old 11-21-2013, 10:19 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,589,910 times
I wore uniforms throughout my schooling and HATED them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting