Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 10:21 AM

7,348 posts, read 6,983,640 times

Advertisements

What gets taken off in class, get's lost or forgotten or stolen.
If you are playing/working out side in the snow, your body warms up and you begin to sweat with all that stuff on, so in the end you get colder wearing wet sweaty clothes.
I often shoveled snow in jeans and t shirt in 20 degree weather. It makes good sense.
Normal people with good circulation do not have big problems with cold ,so just because you do doesn't mean every one does.
In Search and Rescue we drove snow machines in blizzards and rough terrain .Not hard physical work so wearing significant clothing is appropriate.
However,
Once off the machine and on the ground shoeing it, the heavy stuff is shed, preventing overheating and over work ,working against the restrictive action of the clothing.
Notice that people that ski wear thin clothing because it is a balance between action and wind shier drawing heat off moderately.
I will say this , wearing a hat is very important because much of the body heat is lost from the head.
Being wet speeds the process.
Did I say I believed in layering ?
Back to moms kids and school ,
All too often a majority of clothing is lost at school . Check out lost and found some time. if there is one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 09:41 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,345,281 times
It's about showing the child the foolishness of their decisions, and that you are the one that knows what's up & that compared to you they don't know squat, so do as you're told and zip it. It's also about how it's your job as a parent to teach them but it's THEIR job to obey, not your job to make up for their disobedience by fixing the mess they're making.

And it does seem that sometimes the only way they learn is when you let them experience the pain of their defiance & foolishness.

I've done the same, in reverse--when ours were younger, they kept wanting to take their shoes off. I have no problem with barefooted play outdoors in the grass & such, but otherwise the shoes are to stay on. That especially goes in the car--when we arrive where we're going, I don't want to have to wait while they have to put their shoes back on, I'm ready to go NOW.

Well, on an occasion where one of them was 2 or so, they were barefooted in the car yet again, but I said nothing. I let them get out of the car still barefooted. That sounds very "big deal" until you hear the part about how it was 97'F or so outside, full-blast sunshine, and they proceeded to step out of the car barefooted directly onto hot concrete. When the inevitable screams arrived, they were met with a reply of "think you're so smart, do you now?" and "are you going to question me ever again?" and "that's what happens when you don't do as you're told."

It isn't about "picking your battles," it's about letting them experience the pain of their ignorance & showing that you know what the heck you're talking about after all, so zip your oxygen intake pipe & do as you're stinking told. Or else.

LRH

Old 12-02-2013, 10:42 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,193,938 times
The child in the OP story is 8 years old. The temperature was in the 30s. She's old enough, and it was warm enough, that she was not likely to get frostbite.

"Making" kids do things is situational. I wouldn't let a child embark on a long walk, etc on a really cold day without at least putting the coat in a backpack. I wouldn't let a child younger than 6 or so make a decision not to wear a coat. As my kids got older, they (sometimes) thanked me for making them take along clothing for the unexpected, etc.

My kids' school had some rules about what was acceptable on the playground in inclement weather, e.g. they had to have snow boots on under certain conditions. Fight with mom about wearing the boots to school? Fine, you get benched at recess!

Old 12-02-2013, 10:52 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,470,620 times
She lost me less than half way through her article.
Typical tantrum of "modern day" mom ("my way is perfectly fine, thank you very much, even if it's obvious it is not in the best interest of the child"). After all, it is convenient to think they raise "independent, strong-minded" children if they allow them to make their own decisions, be they foolish, all while it is amply evident that the children do not learn any lesson from this practice, even if things become uncomfortable to them. They just develop like weeds and get used to shivering and having snot around their nose at all times.

Sloppy, always dressed like slobs, too lazy to put themselves together simply because the mother never bothered to instill good habits. I see it in young adults all the time too - that's because nobody ever bothered to expect them to dress appropriately for the occasion, for the weather, for whatever.

The part about "making their own decisions" is just a giant pile of rubbish.

Do right by your kid and make the decisions for them when they are young and in need of guidance and establishing good habits. You owe them them that much.

Then again, the reality is it is much easier to let them go outside in a t-shirt in freezing temps than fuss over teaching them how to dress for really cold weather. That can freaking take half an hour with a child and who has half an hour nowadays ?

This is not about being judged by "judgy mothers". Why would you even care?
You should,however, care that your kid shivers his pants off and that he will never learn how to dress and appear presentable.
I've seen many losing jobs over the simple fact that they dress like crap at the interview - and in general.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:08 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,247,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
She lost me less than half way through her article.
Typical tantrum of "modern day" mom ("my way is perfectly fine, thank you very much, even if it's obvious it is not in the best interest of the child"). After all, it is convenient to think they raise "independent, strong-minded" children if they allow them to make their own decisions, be they foolish, all while it is amply evident that the children do not learn any lesson from this practice, even if things become uncomfortable to them. They just develop like weeds and get used to shivering and having snot around their nose at all times.

Sloppy, always dressed like slobs, too lazy to put themselves together simply because the mother never bothered to instill good habits. I see it in young adults all the time too - that's because nobody ever bothered to expect them to dress appropriately for the occasion, for the weather, for whatever.

The part about "making their own decisions" is just a giant pile of rubbish.

Do right by your kid and make the decisions for them when they are young and in need of guidance and establishing good habits. You owe them them that much.

Then again, the reality is it is much easier to let them go outside in a t-shirt in freezing temps than fuss over teaching them how to dress for really cold weather. That can freaking take half an hour with a child and who has half an hour nowadays ?

This is not about being judged by "judgy mothers". Why would you even care?
You should,however, care that your kid shivers his pants off and that he will never learn how to dress and appear presentable.
I've seen many losing jobs over the simple fact that they dress like crap at the interview - and in general.

Some people must have particularly dim witted children if they cannot figure out that a jacket keeps them warm. Or maybe they have been molded that way because Mom always tells them what to do.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:10 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,470,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Some people must have particularly dim witted children if they cannot figure out that a jacket keeps them warm. Or maybe they have been molded that way because Mom always tells them what to do.
Or not.

Children who fail to go get a jacket when they shiver - don't fail to do that because of "lack of wit".
Nice catty try though.

They do it because of being a child - natural laziness and inertia.
They just want to run and play, not fuss over how to layer clothes for maximum comfort during winter. That's YOUR job!

You see them everywhere: shoulders rounded forward, shivering, and continuing to play with snot around their nose DESPITE conspicuous discomfort.
If all of these children feel "perfectly fine, thank you very much", than why do they round their shoulders forwarded and shiver? That's hardly a sign of feeling comfortable.

And if all of these children have the sparkly wit you suggest they do (which mine, apparently, haven't had the luck to inherit ), and if they don't need mom to grab the jacket for them, why the heck don't they go and grab the jacket on their own, as you just suggested? 'Cause they clearly don't.

So let's recap:
"signs of major discomfort" + "NOT grab jacket on their own" = SPARKLY WIT?

No, it just = "being a kid and needing mom to make some sensible decisions for him".

You can spin it all you want...but yes, that is largely careless, complacent parenting and just because it is very common nowadays doesn't make it OK.

Again, the sharp tongue of a "judgy mommy" shouldn't be your source of concern. Your child's shivering should.
So next time, rely less on your child's "natural brilliance" and throw that jacket on her when you see her shivering her eyes out.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:25 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,287,141 times
Quote:
Or not.

Children who fail to go get a jacket when they shiver - don't fail to do that because of "lack of wit".
Nice catty try though.

They just want to run and play, not fuss over how to layer clothes for maximum comfort during winter. That's YOUR job!

You see them everywhere: shoulders rounded forward, shivering, and continuing to play with snot around their nose DESPITE conspicuous discomfort.
If all of these children feel "perfectly fine, thank you very much", than why do they round their shoulders forwarded and shiver? That's hardly a sign of feeling comfortable.

And if all of these children have the sparkly wit you suggest they do (which mine, apparently, haven't had the luck to inherit ), and if they don't need mom to grab the jacket for them, why the heck don't they go and grab the jacket on their own, as you just suggested? 'Cause they clearly don't.

So let's recap:
"signs of major discomfort" + "NOT grab jacket on their own" = SPARKLY WIT?

No, it just = "being a kid and needing mom to make some sensible decisions for him".

You can spin it all you want...but yes, that is largely careless, complacent parenting and just because it is very common nowadays doesn't make it OK.

Again, the sharp tongue of a "judgy mommy" shouldn't be your source of concern. Your child's shivering should.
So next time, rely less on your child's "natural brilliance" and throw that jacket on her when you see her shivering her eyes out.
Well some won't grab their jacket because they consider it "uncool" to wear a jacket (I was like that for a while, no idea why though as everyone else wore jackets) but any kid that can't figure out that a jacket will make them more comfortable in cold weather is a pretty stupid kid. Well very young children (toddlers and preschoolers) might not be able to make that connection but any school age kid ought to be able to figure that out.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Or not.

Nice catty try though.

A species whose young is lazy by their very nature does not survive very long though I can imagine slipping into lazy apathy if someone did ones thinking for one.

Quote:
Huh. I thought my job was to raise and teach them to think for themselves. Their comfort is their problem to the degree that they have the capacity to manage it. It is called scaffolding. It builds character. And brain cells.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Well some won't grab their jacket because they consider it "uncool" to wear a jacket (I was like that for a while, no idea why though as everyone else wore jackets) but any kid that can't figure out that a jacket will make them more comfortable in cold weather is a pretty stupid kid. Well very young children (toddlers and preschoolers) might not be able to make that connection but any school age kid ought to be able to figure that out.
I remember my son coming home and telling me that that was exactly why he had not worn a jacket. I just looked at him. The next day he wore his jacket.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:33 PM

Tongue in cheek aside, I think a lot of people do view their job as doing FOR their kids as this poster to whom we respond feels. I think it is too bad since no one, child or adult, is going to step up to what someone else is doing for them unless they are extraordinary. And I guess I think it is sad and depressing that poster winds up thinking that her kids are too lazy to put on so much as a coat.

Last edited by Jaded; 12-05-2013 at 01:43 AM.. Reason: removed deleted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting