Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 12:49 PM

786 posts, read 4,734,961 times

Advertisements

The weather has turned warm here in Northern VA finally, after one of the coldest springs ever. I consider this good news because it will help the kids who would hang out side in 40 to 50 degree weather with no coat on.

Yes, I have noticed that kids now more than ever refuse to dress warm anymore. Why? Is it peer pressure or do their bodies just feel warmer than mine does?

Last edited by Dingler; 05-08-2007 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 02:34 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,912,233 times
I tyhink the question is why wont you be a parent and make them where clothes outside when it cold? YOU are the Parent

Old 05-08-2007, 05:58 PM

548 posts, read 2,649,106 times
My kids want their coats and hat and gloves when they are cold. They run around a lot more than I do, and their metabolism is clearly higher than mine. I don't ever tell my kids to dress warmer or colder than their bodies tell them. They never fail to tell me if they need a warmer coat or if they are too hot. They are perfectly healthy kids, and they know what their body is telling them. They also know when they are full, and don't feel the need to finish every scrap of food on their plate (too bad so many adults can't stop when full!).

I am a big believer that it's a skill kids are born with--and letting them keep that skill rather than telling them they need a hat b/c I am cold, not them, will serve them well through life.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:18 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,820,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
I tyhink the question is why wont you be a parent and make them where clothes outside when it cold? YOU are the Parent
Well this statement isn't very fair. Just because you send them out with warm clothes doesn't mean they keep them on when they are out of your site.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:51 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,212,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
The weather has turned warm here in Northern VA finally, after one of the coldest springs ever. I consider this good news because it will help the kids who would hang out side in 40 to 50 degree weather with no coat on.

Yes, I have noticed that kids now more than ever refuse to dress warm anymore. Why? Is it peer pressure or do their bodies just feel warmer than mine does?
yes it is peer pressure and yes it is metabolisn
but be sure of this
pick your battles wisely with your children
don't worry about the jacket
when they get cold enough they will come in or put something on
I am not sure of any reported cases of a child freezing to death to be like their friends

Old 05-09-2007, 09:41 AM

550 posts, read 2,826,622 times
Quote:
I am not sure of any reported cases of a child freezing to death to be like their friends

My 2 older boys decide if they are going to wear jackets. I do make sure my 9 year old has one in his backpack when he leaves. I use to make them wear them every day but found they were not coming home and would eventually get lost at school. At one point my 9 year old had 5 jackets at school that he kept "forgetting" to bring home. That was the same situation with my older son. It was costing me way too much money!
I just be sure to put in my two sense every day about what I think they should wear.
I also remember as a kid/teenager taking my jacket off when I left the house. I don't remember ever being too cold.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:33 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,342,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post

And there comes a point where you pick your battles with your kids. This is one battle I won't fight with my kids. If they say they are fine with what they are wearing, they are in their body not me. They know if they are hot, cold whatever. If they complain that they are cold in the house I tell them to put on a sweatshirt or whatever but other then that, they can wear what they want.

DS14 wore a winter coat to school about 3 times this year, in Minnesota. His locker was so far away from all of his classes he didn't want to bother going there to put his coat away. I told him I didn't want to hear him whine when his fingers froze off in our sub zero temps and off he went.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:32 PM

22 posts, read 36,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post

SAMER REASON " WHY WONT KIDS WASH THERE HANDS WHEN THERE DIRTY LOL

Old 05-15-2007, 09:15 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,402,284 times
I found that children do not like to feel like stuff sausages. Too many parents choose outergarments that are very bulky instead of going for quality clothing that is temperature tested. I only purchased coats from Eddie Bauer or Lands End because they are lightweight and temperature tested. You can bundle up your child in a lightweight outfit that gives them the affordability to move around more easily. The same goes with hats, gloves and clothing. Purchase undergarments that are light but warm and you'll be amazed that the children will wear them.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:29 PM

113 posts, read 770,869 times
I've had this on/off battle with my 15 year-old son. One year, I thought I'd make a compromise and bought him a down vest. This way, he wouldn't feel like a sausage and he could continue wearing the sweatshirts he preferred over a winter jacket. Although he may not have been as warm as he had been if he wore a full jacket, it's better than nothing! And it's no longer a battle between him and me.

The thing is, even though the weather is warming up, he continues to wear his sweatshirts. So I don't think it's about the temperature at all, I think he just loves his sweatshirts!

And lastly, I was guilty of this, too, when I was a teenager. My mother would make sure I put on a sweater, jacket, hat, and gloves before letting me go to school. It made me so furious to be policed, but once I got out in the cold, I realized-- hey, I'm warm and this feels good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting