Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 01:08 PM

3,331 posts, read 9,207,849 times

Advertisements

I also did not fight that battle with mine. Decided there were other, more important ones to fight for.

If mine complained of being cold, I pointed to the closet to remind her her coat was there.

She is now on her own and last Christmas we were out shopping, she saw a sweater she liked and said she needed one for the office. I bought it for her. Figured if she wanted to wear one, I would see that she had it to wear.

A friend of mine lives in LA and last summer was battling with her daughter who was headed off to college for the first time...to Chicago. Told her to have her pick up a jacket, hat, and gloves and then hope for the best. In Feb, she got a call mentioning how good the outer clothes felt cause it was COLD. By having them available but not forcing the issue, she made it the daughter's choice to actually wear them. Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 01:13 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,215,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
I also did not fight that battle with mine. Decided there were other, more important ones to fight for.

If mine complained of being cold, I pointed to the closet to remind her her coat was there.

She is now on her own and last Christmas we were out shopping, she saw a sweater she liked and said she needed one for the office. I bought it for her. Figured if she wanted to wear one, I would see that she had it to wear.

A friend of mine lives in LA and last summer was battling with her daughter who was headed off to college for the first time...to Chicago. Told her to have her pick up a jacket, hat, and gloves and then hope for the best. In Feb, she got a call mentioning how good the outer clothes felt cause it was COLD. By having them available but not forcing the issue, she made it the daughter's choice to actually wear them. Liz
I'm with you Southern
except I am a hint dropper
"wow, it sure looks cloudy out there....it would really suck to have to walk from the bus stop back home in the pouring rain"
that usually clicks in their mind to grab their umbrellas

Old 05-18-2007, 09:00 AM

453 posts, read 2,102,968 times
1)some people don't get cold easily
2)kids have higher metabolisms...they're probably much warmer
3)jackets are a hassle if you're not going to be outside long. i NEVER wore a jacket to school, because it'd only take 30 seconds to get inside the building and then i'd have the hassle of carrying around a jacket all day

Old 06-04-2007, 12:55 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,444,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
The weather has turned warm here in Northern VA finally, after one of the coldest springs ever. I consider this good news because it will help the kids who would hang out side in 40 to 50 degree weather with no coat on.

Yes, I have noticed that kids now more than ever refuse to dress warm anymore. Why? Is it peer pressure or do their bodies just feel warmer than mine does?
A few years ago at the school bus stop in December, a guy in my class was wearing a t-shirt,shorts and sandals in 10-20 degree weather.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:34 AM

743 posts, read 2,236,458 times
I live in No Va, too Dingler.....I find that I don't need to wear a jacket here in the winter because it usually doens't get cold enough for me to need to. In fact, this past winter (a few months ago) I never even wore gloves!

For me, I'm okay in the 30's and 40's w/ a sweater w/ a turtleneck underneath. When it goes in the 20's, then I grab a jacket.

My husband is the same.....and so our our kids.

I guess we're a "hot-blooded" family

Old 06-10-2007, 06:20 PM

250 posts, read 934,067 times
While I always dress my children up in full gear during the winter; I myself, hate coats, jackets, hats, gloves, etc. Now I live in Michigan and the winters get pretty chilly; typically in the 20's and 30's, and I NEVER wear anything but a heavy sweater. It doesn't really bother me. And the thing is that I loathe cold weather!

Old 06-15-2007, 08:27 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,087,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
The weather has turned warm here in Northern VA finally, after one of the coldest springs ever. I consider this good news because it will help the kids who would hang out side in 40 to 50 degree weather with no coat on.

Yes, I have noticed that kids now more than ever refuse to dress warm anymore. Why? Is it peer pressure or do their bodies just feel warmer than mine does?
Because they want to be "cool" (pun intended!)

Old 10-10-2007, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,538 times
okay so im 15 and let me just tell you. there is no peer pressure out there about wearing or not wearing a coat. its just that kids want to play, bulky things get in our way, we warm up after running around, and we just want to be stubborn. if this is the only thing you can think of to be concerned about your children youre not doing a very good job. if your kid gets cold, theyll put on a jacket. end of story.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:38 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,172,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantababe93 View Post
okay so im 15 and let me just tell you. there is no peer pressure out there about wearing or not wearing a coat. its just that kids want to play, bulky things get in our way, we warm up after running around, and we just want to be stubborn. if this is the only thing you can think of to be concerned about your children youre not doing a very good job. if your kid gets cold, theyll put on a jacket. end of story.
Out of the mouths of babes........

Kinds aren't dumb.....they know when they're cold....usually....if not...they learn....
I remember many a Colorado winter in Shirtsleeves n jeans....didn't know it was cold.....

Old 10-11-2007, 11:06 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,087,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantababe93 View Post
I hear ya! I hate wearing bulky things too. Especially in a car or in a restaurant. It's almost preferable to freeze my ***** off than to wear a bulky coat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting