Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 06:52 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,130,055 times

Advertisements

I'm not even going to read it. My son is always hot and people always judge. I don't know why people can't mind their own business. He's not going to freeze to death before your eyes in a parking lot so just keep walking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 08:04 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,975,237 times
I've been going through this with my 5 year old son in the mornings. He wants to wear shorts to school and the high yesterday was 44 and I refused. I made him wear pants. This morning same fight and it's 38 right now. It's PE day so he can wear something other then his uniform. He's wearing track pants. This weekend is supposed to be back in the 70's.

The jacket thing drives me nuts. I bought him a sherpa lined hoodie and he wears it....finally. I wonder if I could find some sherpa lined shorts.....

Old 11-14-2013, 08:17 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,412,275 times
I have given up trying to control my 8 year old's fashion choices. I do only buy appropriate clothing, though.

I have told her that she is in control of what she wears, and I will just tell her what the weather will be like. We live in Texas, so it varies a lot. I do keep an extra sweater in my truck in case she changes her mind and gets cold.

She is old enough to decide what she should wear.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:18 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,204,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalmom99 View Post
I always make them take a sweat shirt or jacket. They usually get out of the car without it on. My teens seem to not put it on in front of me because I was the one that suggested it. I usually see them put on the sweatshirts as I am leaving the parking lot, lol. I read somewhere it is their way of having control over the situation, lol. I remember doing the same thing at that age.
When my son was in high school it was shorts and short sleeve shirt. He did drive his truck to school and whatever. Now in his 2nd year of college I am noticing sweatshirt and long pants Go figure.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:48 AM

606 posts, read 945,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalmom99 View Post
I always make them take a sweat shirt or jacket. They usually get out of the car without it on. My teens seem to not put it on in front of me because I was the one that suggested it. I usually see them put on the sweatshirts as I am leaving the parking lot, lol. I read somewhere it is their way of having control over the situation, lol. I remember doing the same thing at that age.
Yup. Unless it's actually cold enough for her to get frostbite in the time we're planning to be out, I don't think it's a battle worth fighting. I do insist that she at least has weather-appropriate clothing on hand even if she chooses not to wear it.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:11 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,352,675 times
I remember as a kid, my mom forcing me into the scarf, hat, gloves. Me, walking to school with friends. About a 1/2 block away, ripping all the extra stuff off and shoving in backpack

And I have one kid who, without fail, every winter goes up into the attic (where I put the out of season clothes) and drags out tank tops and t shirts, which she wears to school. She does layer, so I guess I can't complain.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:48 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,935,571 times
I also don't argue with my kids over this. My 7yo says that she doesn't like the bulk of a puffy coat in the winter and would rather wear a sweater or layers. My 4yo is a little heater and is not usually cold. I usually bring their coats and keep them in the car as an option in case they want them.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:26 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,940,097 times
I can always count a handful of kids who still either wear shorts to school or aren't even wearing a jacket when I'm headed to work at 7AM every morning... to be honest though.. you can "force" them to leave the house with the coat but it won't stop them from taking it off.

If kids get sick because of it and want to learn the "hard way" then.. well.. that's life. I'm sure every single one of us as kids had some sort of stubborness to something... this is no different.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:33 AM

546 posts, read 1,821,890 times
When my kids were itty bitty I would have joined those in saying, "oh my gosh, what a horrible mom!" I recently posted my rant here about my kids leaving their jackets at school all the time. The other day I asked my 9 year old to grab his coat about 5 times before heading out for school. He didn't listen so I decided to let it go. It was in the 40s but kind of windy. We live in Colorado so the kids go out and play on the playground almost everyday regardless of the cold. He must have been cold because he has grabbed his jacket before leaving everyday since!

It is not uncommon to see girls with shorts, thin little hoodies and Ugg boots when it is 30 degrees out and snowing here. It's just ridiculous. People with shorts and Parkas in January. It's for real. It is the land of the fashion confused here. I'm just too cold to participate in this ridiculousness so I am hoping my kids will figure out. I am going to continue to encourage the coats & jackets but I do think to a certain degree they will realize they are much more comfortable playing outside with warm clothing. Now, if we are going skiing they will not have a choice or they will not go.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:36 AM

546 posts, read 1,821,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I've been going through this with my 5 year old son in the mornings. He wants to wear shorts to school and the high yesterday was 44 and I refused. I made him wear pants. This morning same fight and it's 38 right now. It's PE day so he can wear something other then his uniform. He's wearing track pants. This weekend is supposed to be back in the 70's.

The jacket thing drives me nuts. I bought him a sherpa lined hoodie and he wears it....finally. I wonder if I could find some sherpa lined shorts.....
I have a friend with a boy who will only wear sport shorts. She would love sherpa lined sport shorts for him. I bet they would be a best seller!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting