Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 07:43 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,433,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Not sure where to post this.

How many have had to have their adult child locked up?

My Son was on probation. I was trying to get him to follow his rules and he was with his Brother, wanted to go buy Meth, his brother told him no he was going home, he attacked his Brother, bystanders called the police, they arrested him, his Probation Officer asked if he continue to stay with us? I told her no because this wasn't the first time he had been violent and I could no longer deal with him. So she had no choice but to lock him up, I was the only one that he was able to stay with.

Now him, his other Brother and my Ex Wife is blaming me for this.

brushrunner
His other Brother and your ex-wife should pick up an extra job so they can find a way to accommodate your son.

And by the way, you did not lock him up. Don't allow people to shift blame on you by focusing on what you did. If your son hadn't fought with someone he would no doubt still be living with you. So he did this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 09:33 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,795,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffedCabbage View Post
Tell the ex-wife and the other brother to bail him out and let him live with one of them if they're so concerned. Ever hear the phrase "I've washed my hands?" People mean it when they say that - so, say it, and they'll get it.
That's what I would suggest. It's very easy for these so-concerned ones to voice their opinion, but let them put up or shut up. They are free to provide this guy a free living out of their own pockets. They can bail him out any and every time they like -- what's stopping them?

Old 11-09-2013, 10:01 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,312,027 times
Quote:
...Now him, his other Brother and my Ex Wife is blaming me for this.

Well his other brother and your ex-wife can put him up then!

And this is typical of druggies and criminal types. Nothing is their fault, it is always someone else's fault.

The person responsible for your son going to jail is HIMSELF! If he (and his brother and your ex-wife) does not want him to go to jail, then he can stop doing drugs and stop breaking the law. Simple as that.

As for the brother and ex-wife, if they don't understand these things, best you no longer have anything to do with them (until they see the light).

As for the son, meth use causes permanent brain damage. Best to not have anything to do with him either - distance yourself from his problems or he will drag you down too.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:22 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,950,129 times
1. You did not lock him up

2. Unless the other brother and/or your ex-wife are willing to offer him a home then they have nothing to say in the matter.

3. It is clear that your son is not ready to kick his addiction. Taking him into your home is not going to solve the problem but will end up being a huge problem for you. There has to be a quid pro quo. Your son has to be willing to take substantive steps to rehabilitate himself and, in return for this, his family can step up and help.

I think I would have done the same thing had I been in your shoes.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:53 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,313,097 times
Quote:

brushrunner
Tell them it's their fault...why won't THEY take him in..it wasn't your fault some bystander called the cops. You shouldn't have to deal with his violence just cause no one else will.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:04 PM

12,979 posts, read 9,694,393 times
sounds like he is in the right place so don't lose any sleep over it.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:05 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,034,777 times
Sometimes you need to let them hit absolute rock bottom.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:20 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,564,943 times
There's nothing more heartbreaking than having to call the police to come and get your son. Been there, done that over alcohol, not meth or other drugs. When he was still a teen, he was on a court order not to drink and he came home totally wasted. It was so sad watching him leaving in handcuffs, but he was so drunk that he couldn't even get his own shoes on, we had to help him.

Jail time didn't do him any good unfortunatly, (he still drinks heavily), but it gave us peace of mind knowing he wasn't out there drinking himself into oblivion for that short time.

He was very angry at us for a short time, but got over it soon enough. Every single day of my life, I wish he'd see the light and quit drinking. Addiction in families is so very difficult to go through It hurts so much knowing that there is a good person in there if they'd only give themselves the chance to sober up.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:51 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,931,841 times
Quote:
Not sure where to post this.

How many have had to have their adult child locked up?

My Son was on probation. I was trying to get him to follow his rules and he was with his Brother, wanted to go buy Meth, his brother told him no he was going home, he attacked his Brother, bystanders called the police, they arrested him, his Probation Officer asked if he continue to stay with us? I told her no because this wasn't the first time he had been violent and I could no longer deal with him. So she had no choice but to lock him up, I was the only one that he was able to stay with.

brushrunner
Tell the brother it's his fault. If only he went with him to buy the meth, none of this would have happened. Then give your ex-wife the probation officer's phone number.

Since she knows better than you, they can work it out.

I know it's so awful picturing that baby/little kid but really, NOBODY thinks just putting a roof over an addict's head is any kind of solution at all. If he can't get into a very long term rehab, it's a major, major problem.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,191,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Sometimes you need to let them hit absolute rock bottom.
He did. Or at least he should have. They went searching for him and found him homeless in a park. Prior to that, he was starving and living in his brother's backyard because his brother wouldn't let him in his house. The OP thought he might have a chance at becoming stable if someone was ensuring he took his medication. That's why they took him into their home. I believe he's like 39 years old---mentally ill, drug addicted, etc. The other siblings don't sound much better. The OP's wife, the step mother of these people, is a saint because she is the one who wanted to find him and bring him into their home. It's sad it turned out the way it did, but the addiction was never addressed and everyone warned him that it wouldn't likely work out as long as he was addicted. Who knows, he might not even be mentally ill if he got off the drugs. Maybe some people never hit rock bottom and eventually die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting