Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 10:07 PM

447 posts, read 743,176 times

Advertisements

I have a 6 year old going on 7. I have signed her up for a sport every season except summer time. She tells me she hates sports because there boring. She say she feels like I am forcing her to play sports. She is only in a rec league (not travel) for soccer. I mentioned basketball to her and she about flipped out on me, yet she plays it in the driveway with me all the time.

I explained to her that playing sports and trying new things is important. It is good exercise, builds self esteem, and encourages you to work in a team atmosphere.

As a parent I believe in pushing your kids to try new things. I feel that sometimes a kid does not know what they really want so I try to put them in new situations or to keep trying something so that they can become better at. They don't necessarily have to be the best, but need to understand that if you stick with something you can achieve greater results.

Am I being too pushy here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 10:11 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times
I dont understand the need or desire to push it on them. If she wants to do it, she'll tell you.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:13 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
If I remember correctly, this has been an issue for several years already and the child is only 6.

Yes, you are being too pushy. Take some time to find out what SHE is interested in. Not everyone is super sporty. She might be more interested if she wasn't pushed into so much.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:30 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
yes you are being too pushy. keep pushing her and she will hate everything you want her to do. let her find her own pursuits.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:48 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
Jeez, cut her a break. She's 6. She's probably not done playing with her dolls. Sports just may not be her thing. It's obviously yours. Well cut it out.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:52 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Some people just hate sports. You made her try it, and it is obvious she does not like it, not seeing what you are getting out of it continuing to make her do such things.

I always hated sports, do not watch it either, I find it boring, yet I have been power lifting for over twenty years, along with doing muay thai and competing in jiu jitsu. I would not ever watch any of it, and I do not even like competing in jiu jitsu except I do it just because I am a nice person.

So basically, just because a person does not like sports does not mean they are lazy and do not like exercising; sports and exercise are two different things.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:11 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Are you even letting her choose the sport? Maybe offer more choices. Sports don't have to be only the team sports. Kids need lots of outdoor activity but it can be bicycling, horseback riding, hiking.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:16 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifeman View Post
I have a 6 year old going on 7. I have signed her up for a sport every season except summer time. She tells me she hates sports because there boring. She say she feels like I am forcing her to play sports. She is only in a rec league (not travel) for soccer. I mentioned basketball to her and she about flipped out on me, yet she plays it in the driveway with me all the time.

I explained to her that playing sports and trying new things is important. It is good exercise, builds self esteem, and encourages you to work in a team atmosphere.

As a parent I believe in pushing your kids to try new things. I feel that sometimes a kid does not know what they really want so I try to put them in new situations or to keep trying something so that they can become better at. They don't necessarily have to be the best, but need to understand that if you stick with something you can achieve greater results.

Am I being too pushy here?

Have you asked HER what she might be interested in doing as far as something new?
She might like to go to the local Joann Fabric shop and learn how to sew.
She may like to go to a reading group at the library.
She might be more interested in learning how to bowl.
Something that stimulates her brain instead of her braun.

She is 6 years old and you are being very pushy. If she asks to join something I would allow her to do that but if she decided she didn't like it I would not allow her to quit.
We did that with our children, they could start anything they wanted to but they had to finish the entire season even if they did not like it.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:24 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times
She's 6 and you've signed her up for sports. Unbelievable. We cripple our kids by forcing them into organized crap. The earlier the push for sports the greater the damage. Kids don't know what to do with themselves after that. They don't know how to play on their own, they don't know how to occupy themselves, they don't know how to function in the world without uniforms, coaches and crazy parents busing them around and "cheering" them up.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:33 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,243 times
OP, as someone with a child who is, even as a toddler, leaning towards the sedentary side and doesn't like being physical, I'm totally with you that some sort of physical activity is absolutely crucial. I was a completely unathletic, uncoordinated bookworm all my life, and I can tell you it has affected my childhood very negatively, I couldn't play with kids on the same physical level, I was made fun of, etc. And I WILL absolutely be pushing my child into some organized activity, because neither me or DH can get him to do it. However, as others have mentioned, it doesn't HAVE to be organized team sports. Explain to her that she needs to choose some form of activity that's physical, however it doesn't need to be soccer or basketball. Is she more of a girly girl? How about dance? Maybe she would enjoy that, there are different types; or martial arts, or swimming, or rhytmic gymnastics, or figure skating, or tennis? there are so many different activities out there that provide all the benefits of sports, health, self-esteem, coordination, it doesn't have to involve a ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting