Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 12:00 AM

95 posts, read 172,550 times

Advertisements

There are other things you can do besides organized sports. I have one athlete and one child who hates sports. Other ideas are geocaching and letterboxing. You can go hiking together and discover treasures. What about riding your bikes together to different places each week? Take her to watch some dance or gymnastics classes. What about karate, etc? Forcing activities on kids only makes them hate them. Find something that she wants to do. If not, take a few months off and get active as a family. Is there an indoor pool you can go to and have family time? What about indoor playgrounds with kids groups? How many hours a week would you spend watching her practice and play a game or two? Take that same amount of time and put it into something you can do together. Let her pick some outdoor games. Check your local parks and rec and YMCA, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 12:21 AM

5,593 posts, read 8,485,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
OP, as someone with a child who is, even as a toddler, leaning towards the sedentary side and doesn't like being physical, I'm totally with you that some sort of physical activity is absolutely crucial. I was a completely unathletic, uncoordinated bookworm all my life, and I can tell you it has affected my childhood very negatively, I couldn't play with kids on the same physical level, I was made fun of, etc. And I WILL absolutely be pushing my child into some organized activity, because neither me or DH can get him to do it. However, as others have mentioned, it doesn't HAVE to be organized team sports. Explain to her that she needs to choose some form of activity that's physical, however it doesn't need to be soccer or basketball. Is she more of a girly girl? How about dance? Maybe she would enjoy that, there are different types; or martial arts, or swimming, or rhytmic gymnastics, or figure skating, or tennis? there are so many different activities out there that provide all the benefits of sports, health, self-esteem, coordination, it doesn't have to involve a ball.
I wasn't a bookworm but, like you, I was totally unathletic. I didn't have any problem playing with the other kids, because we didn't play sports, but I did have problems when I got to high school. I went to a private girls' high school and gym class usually consisted of playing some sport -- basketball, softball, even field hockey. I was awful, and usually was the next-to-last person in the schoolyard pick. So degrading. Even later in life, when you'd think you'd never have to worry about that again, sports would rear its ugly head in the work environment -- teambuilding exercises involving throwing a ball (that I couldn't catch), or softball games at the office picnic, etc. However, as uncoordinated an athlete as I am, I'm an excellent dancer, and the jocks used to ask me to teach them the latest line dances -- so that helped with my damaged self-esteem. I'm just curious as to what you mean when you say you couldn't play at the same physical level and what type of activity you think would have helped. My mother did sign me up for ballet, and I think I got thrown out for being uncooperative. Wasn't crazy about it anyway.

I definitely wouldn't push sports on the child if she's not happy about participating. It's ashame kids these days don't get enough physical exercise just playing and riding bikes like we did as children.

Old 10-04-2013, 12:55 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,256,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I wasn't a bookworm but, like you, I was totally unathletic. I didn't have any problem playing with the other kids, because we didn't play sports, but I did have problems when I got to high school. I went to a private girls' high school and gym class usually consisted of playing some sport -- basketball, softball, even field hockey. I was awful, and usually was the next-to-last person in the schoolyard pick. So degrading. Even later in life, when you'd think you'd never have to worry about that again, sports would rear its ugly head in the work environment -- teambuilding exercises involving throwing a ball (that I couldn't catch), or softball games at the office picnic, etc. However, as uncoordinated an athlete as I am, I'm an excellent dancer, and the jocks used to ask me to teach them the latest line dances -- so that helped with my damaged self-esteem. I'm just curious as to what you mean when you say you couldn't play at the same physical level and what type of activity you think would have helped. My mother did sign me up for ballet, and I think I got thrown out for being uncooperative. Wasn't crazy about it anyway.

I definitely wouldn't push sports on the child if she's not happy about participating. It's ashame kids these days don't get enough physical exercise just playing and riding bikes like we did as children.
I meant same as you said, couldn't catch/hit a ball, couldn't throw strong enough, couldn't ride a bike!, couldn't run fast enough, was scared to fall or get hurt, so all the street games with kids just running around, playing tag, soccer, whatever were all just scary to me. Couldn't even skip rope! I think anything that would've built up my coordination and confidence and physical endurance would've helped.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:35 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,252,615 times
I agree that physical activity is important, but I don't think it requires signing a 6 year old up for organized sports teams. I also have a 6 and 8 year old and I know that there is intense pressure as a parent to have our kids in so many activities. I experience that first hand. One of my kids, the 8 year old is very sporty and found a sport he loves and is dedicated to. My 6 year old is the complete opposite. He's not at all interested in organized sports. Although he has enjoyed swimming and a gymnastics tumbling class. Perhaps you should give some other options for active play rather than sports teams....particularly at this young age.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:55 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,312,101 times
If she's tried it and clearly doesn't enjoy organised sports then don't push it (or maybe its the particular sports, ask her if there's any thing that she'd like to try). She should be getting enough exercising just playing like a normal 6 year old, if she isn't then encourage more active outside play. I just think you're likely to do more harm to her activity levels in the long run if you push too much now.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:20 AM

5,313 posts, read 5,312,462 times
Poor kid. Why would you keep forcing a 6 year old to do a recreational activity she clearly has no interest in? Can't think of a quicker way to encourage bad behavior. Instead, why not encourage good behavior by letting her find her own interests?

Old 10-04-2013, 04:51 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,280,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
If I remember correctly, this has been an issue for several years already and the child is only 6.

Yes, you are being too pushy. Take some time to find out what SHE is interested in. Not everyone is super sporty. She might be more interested if she wasn't pushed into so much.
This. Macie's mom strikes again with a spot on post.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:09 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,730,714 times
My parents wanted me to try the grade school football game my last year at that school. I got to play maybe 2 minutes the entire season. They asked me if I wanted to do any more sports and I said no. Sports was never brought up again. Like everybody else has told you, don't push her. Pushing her now will come back haunt you as she gets older.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:18 AM

448 posts, read 749,720 times
Default Hmmm

I appreciate the feedback. Just so you know I am not a tiger dad! I could care less if my child is a professional athlete and I am not looking to fulfill some childhood dream of mind about being one. What I want for my kids is to be somewhat coordinated and to try new things. I've seen a lot of parents put there kid in something and it ends up being the parent that quits because their child wines one day. One day the child likes it, the next day they hate it. If your child hates school do you give up and pull her out of school one day because it's not for her?

Perhaps where I am at fault is not having her engage in the process more. I guess I am one of those parents that doesn't want their child to be so aloof about everything they do. Meaning I don't want them going through life starting and quitting everything. At least see it through.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:44 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,528,139 times
I have to wonder if this is more about what you want than what she wants. That said, I DO feel it is important children be required to try a wide variety of activities when they're young--otherwise how will they ever have the opportunity to discover what it is they're truly passionate about? It's also important that they get plenty of physical activity in. However, it sounds like you're filling her plate with a very sports-heavy load, rather than a variety. What about a dance class? Music lessons on an instrument? Art class? A language class? Girl Scouts? I think doing one, MAYBE two short sports seasons a year could be a great addition to that list, but forcing her to constantly be in a sport when it's clear that's not her thing seems to be going a little too far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting