Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 04:26 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,395,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Those links are representing the same "study", which is a paper commissioned by a foundation created to promote youth sports.

The paper clearly says that there needs to be more research done, the results are uneven, that they can't say that playing sports effects all populations the same (for instance girls see more positives than boys), only that there seems to be a "positive effect" in the most general sense, and NO WHERE does it say "the best" students play sports.

The poster I was responding too was asserting that it is always justified to push kids into playing sports in high school because it is a virtual guarantee they will be surrounded by the highest academic achievers and impress competitive colleges. That paper doesn't even come CLOSE to proving anything like that. Its a loose summary of several actual studies that have shown vague linkages between sports and academic achievement and the conclusions drawn are very, very limited.

The "best" students are still likely to be found in science, math, and engineering clubs or other academically oriented organizations. But even that isn't a law written in stone.

Oh it couldn't possibly be biased then !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 09:41 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,307,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I went to a private school in a well off area and the athletes were never the top students.
Well there you go, n=1, point proven.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:47 PM

703 posts, read 878,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Well there you go, n=1, point proven.
a point proven because some user typed up something? lol, if that's proof, then I do not want any of your statistics. also, note that private schools run off of a completely different dynamic than public school. facts to prove if needed.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:39 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,307,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewimaech235 View Post
a point proven because some user typed up something? lol, if that's proof, then I do not want any of your statistics. also, note that private schools run off of a completely different dynamic than public school. facts to prove if needed.
I'm sorry, did you need this...:roll eyes:...to understand the context of my post????

You are pretty quick on the uptake

(also sarcastic in case you didn't get that one either)

Old 07-09-2014, 07:56 AM

18,597 posts, read 31,947,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Some people just hate sports. You made her try it, and it is obvious she does not like it, not seeing what you are getting out of it continuing to make her do such things.

I always hated sports, do not watch it either, I find it boring, yet I have been power lifting for over twenty years, along with doing muay thai and competing in jiu jitsu. I would not ever watch any of it, and I do not even like competing in jiu jitsu except I do it just because I am a nice person.

So basically, just because a person does not like sports does not mean they are lazy and do not like exercising; sports and exercise are two different things.
.........and i am one of them.

I see absolutely nothing fun about hitting a ball and running, I see no point to it, I see no reason to sit and watch a group of men on TV hit a ball and run, and people scream like maniacs, over a little ball.

Oh yeah man, gotta watch the "game" tonight.... um, don't think so.....

I have 3 boys, I never forced sports on the or anything for that matter, if they were interested in something they told me. One of my sons is an avid soccer player......so there you go.

I am though into weight lifting, would that be considered a sport????, not that I do it as much as I used to. oh the aches and pains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting