Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 03:20 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,239,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Maybe. Maybe not.

We finished grad school in 2001. And I just checked, my school still has married housing, still cheaper than typical dorming, still has cheap day care. What are we thinking is no longer a reality since 2001?
What school?

Also, in many places grad schools offer different options than undergrad due to the differences in students they attract and yes, it is very different now than even 10 years ago

in 2001 the tech bubble was still inflating, if you had a spring/summer graduation then 9/11 hadn't happened yet, war with Iraq wasn't much of a thought although there was some international concern going on, the great recession was still years away

The time we were in college was near the historical high point for student working - it is different now

Quote:
[LEFT]The recent drop in student work hours seems more clearly attributable to the decline in available jobs, she writes, not decisions on the part of students. The declines were so substantial, she writes, that the rate of students working and average hours per week were near 30-year lows. Further, for the first time ever, 18-22 year olds were more likely to be in college and not working than working and not going to college.

Read more: Study explores increases and declines in student work hours | Inside Higher Ed
Inside Higher Ed
[/LEFT]

Old 09-06-2013, 03:30 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,043,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I said that they are already pregnant in response to your statement about this not being a good time to start a family. The OP said they were planning on having a family, just not this soon. That in no way indicates they don't want to be parents now that they are pregnant. Most pregnancies in the US are unplanned. Unplanned, and wanted.
But we don't know that. Just because there are unplanned pregnancies that end up wanted, doesn't mean this one is. I never said this wasn't a good time to start a family, that was what the OP said in the post I was responding to. I was just saying that there are other options if they are not wanting to start a family this soon.

If they wanted the baby, and were ready to have a family then I don't really see what the problem is. OP says they have jobs, are able to support the baby if they have it, and are going to finish school. Sounds great, so why is there still a problem after finding out the insurance question?

Old 09-06-2013, 03:31 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,204,032 times
There is an awful lot of unsolicited advice and opinions being thrown out here. The op asked about health insurance. The op did not ask about abortion, college, work, or anything else. There are several options that could still end with these parents finishing school and having successful careers.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:33 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,251,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, good grief! Anyone can have an unplanned pregnancy, and many do, including many college educated people.
I'm disappointed that's all you've got from my post.

My post is supposed to illustrate that THE BABY MIGHT NOT BE PERFECT.

Everyone wants a cute little baby but many, many babies are born imperfect, need lots of extra care, etc.

And no, not everyone can have an unplanned pregnancy. Moderator Cut. A lot of folks make mistakes and get the morning after pill, or go to get an abortion.

Unplanned Pregnancy does not have to equal Unplanned Parenthood...at least where I live.

Last edited by Jaded; 09-07-2013 at 01:33 AM.. Reason: Flaming

Old 09-06-2013, 04:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

Everyone wants a cute little baby but many, many babies are born imperfect, need lots of extra care, etc.

And no, not everyone can have an unplanned pregnancy. A lot of folks make mistakes and get the morning after pill, or go to get an abortion.

Unplanned Pregnancy does not have to equal Unplanned Parenthood...at least where I live.
There are a lot of unplanned pregnancies out there.
CDC: Nearly 40 percent of US Births Are Unintended - ABC News

Apparently, this couple, or at least the mom, have decided they want to continue the pregnancy.

Last edited by Jaded; 09-07-2013 at 01:33 AM..

Old 09-06-2013, 04:33 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,043,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
There is an awful lot of unsolicited advice and opinions being thrown out here. The op asked about health insurance. The op did not ask about abortion, college, work, or anything else. There are several options that could still end with these parents finishing school and having successful careers.
Google is a great tool for those people who just have one simple question. By posting on a public forum, its not a shock that there is going to be discussions about all of the OP's posts, and not just the first question she asks.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:02 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,755,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

And no, not everyone can have an unplanned pregnancy. A lot of folks make mistakes and get the morning after pill, or go to get an abortion.

Re the bold: What? Anyone sexually active can have an unplanned pregnancy. No birth control method, including tubal ligation is perfect.

Re the underlined: Abortion stops an unplanned pregnancy from progressing but it doesn't mean there was no pregnancy.

Last edited by Jaded; 09-07-2013 at 01:34 AM..

Old 09-06-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
What school?

Also, in many places grad schools offer different options than undergrad due to the differences in students they attract and yes, it is very different now than even 10 years ago

in 2001 the tech bubble was still inflating, if you had a spring/summer graduation then 9/11 hadn't happened yet, war with Iraq wasn't much of a thought although there was some international concern going on, the great recession was still years away

The time we were in college was near the historical high point for student working - it is different now
Rutgers university still offers married housing for undergrads.

Same discount
Child Care and Development Centers | Rutgers University Human Resources

Uhm, my daughter and sister are both there NOW. They both work on campus. Apparently the majority of students work.
Most College Students Work Part-Time Jobs, But Few Pay Their Way Through School: Poll

Some 80% of college students work, averaging about 20 hours a week. Exactly, like I did.

Apparently, the number of students NOT working has actually declined

Understanding the Working College Student | AAUP

Any actual proof that there was some precipitous decline in student employment?

Old 09-06-2013, 05:47 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,239,344 times
Not for nothing, but I provided a link that showed just that

The 80% number you just referenced was for part time undergraduate students - which really isn't saying much ..... there is an increase in part time undergraduate students - all those people taking online courses at for profit universities going for some spare time degree are part time undergraduate students ....... the makeup of part time undergraduate students has shifted in the past decade dramatically - not to mention the economic situation, loose student loan policies and shift in the workforce ideal you have more people efforting to be students in general

The second link was a survey of a little over 1,000 high school seniors and college students - again, not much of a deep dive there and I have no idea why you would include HS seniors at all

Again, from my link

Quote:
[LEFT]The last 40 years have seen dramatic changes in the hours worked at jobs by full-time undergraduates -- with notable increases until 2000, and then a period of relative stability until a sharp drop in 2009, according to research (abstract available here) released Monday by the National Bureau of Economic Research.

Read more: Study explores increases and declines in student work hours | Inside Higher Ed
Inside Higher Ed
[/LEFT]

Although, I'm sure a survey conducted in part by Seventeen magazine lines up favorably to data analyzed by the National Bureau of Economic Research

Those discounts for groups associated with Rutgers for child care aren't all that great .... my wife gets the same for simply being a teacher ....... the most generous was 20% which is nice, the most common was 10% with some coming in at 5%

The best that actually takes under 2s is CCLC @ Piscataway - basically a sister organization of KinderCare ... like many they don't like to publish their rates, but I know KinderCare is typically over $800/mo - so even on that low end and a 20% discount that would be a best case of $640 a month .... yes, discounted but still not cheap and easy for a student to afford

Goddard is on there as well as an option - discount is similar to what they offer teachers out here - the people I know who use Goddard pay over $900/mo with the discount

I have no idea of the regular tuition for Rainbow Academy - but their infant/toddler discount is only 5% and I'm guessing it's in line with most daycare centers where you're not going to be able to step in for under $800/month - that is an assumption though

Not to mention at all of those places you still need to have some flexibility - kids get sick and daycare centers will send you kid home fairly quickly or refuse to take them in ..... another thing to note is you pay for the month - if you use them or not your cost is that .... so if you kid gets sick for a couple of days, they wont watch them but you will get charged for it - things like that can cause stress to a budget

Finally - even if 100% of college students worked averaging 30 hours a week (which they don't) not even close to 100% of college kids are trying to raise a baby while keeping after their studies ..... those students that are working now are doing so and still falling behind and going into large amounts of debt and that's just keeping up with single college student life - not raising a baby life

Old 09-06-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Not for nothing, but I provided a link that showed just that

The 80% number you just referenced was for part time undergraduate students - which really isn't saying much ..... there is an increase in part time undergraduate students - all those people taking online courses at for profit universities going for some spare time degree are part time undergraduate students ....... the makeup of part time undergraduate students has shifted in the past decade dramatically - not to mention the economic situation, loose student loan policies and shift in the workforce ideal you have more people efforting to be students in general

The second link was a survey of a little over 1,000 high school seniors and college students - again, not much of a deep dive there and I have no idea why you would include HS seniors at all

Again, from my link

[/LEFT]

Although, I'm sure a survey conducted in part by Seventeen magazine lines up favorably to data analyzed by the National Bureau of Economic Research

Those discounts for groups associated with Rutgers for child care aren't all that great .... my wife gets the same for simply being a teacher ....... the most generous was 20% which is nice, the most common was 10% with some coming in at 5%

The best that actually takes under 2s is CCLC @ Piscataway - basically a sister organization of KinderCare ... like many they don't like to publish their rates, but I know KinderCare is typically over $800/mo - so even on that low end and a 20% discount that would be a best case of $640 a month .... yes, discounted but still not cheap and easy for a student to afford

Goddard is on there as well as an option - discount is similar to what they offer teachers out here - the people I know who use Goddard pay over $900/mo with the discount

I have no idea of the regular tuition for Rainbow Academy - but their infant/toddler discount is only 5% and I'm guessing it's in line with most daycare centers where you're not going to be able to step in for under $800/month - that is an assumption though

Not to mention at all of those places you still need to have some flexibility - kids get sick and daycare centers will send you kid home fairly quickly or refuse to take them in ..... another thing to note is you pay for the month - if you use them or not your cost is that .... so if you kid gets sick for a couple of days, they wont watch them but you will get charged for it - things like that can cause stress to a budget

Finally - even if 100% of college students worked averaging 30 hours a week (which they don't) not even close to 100% of college kids are trying to raise a baby while keeping after their studies ..... those students that are working now are doing so and still falling behind and going into large amounts of debt and that's just keeping up with single college student life - not raising a baby life
You seem to cherry pick. One of the sources was from a journal article. BTW if you want your links to appear, I suggest you read how to correctly post them. Yours disappear in quoted replies.

I stated one of the biggest benefits was the fact dad and I could pick non-conflicting schedules. You ignored that. An option to consider for the young couple in the OP.

I stated that my daughter only needed to go for some 12-15 hours a week once she was a year old. If you are unaware that is well below full time rates. Again, something the couple may not even need.

As for debt. We took on a decent amount of debt. Debt that allowed us to live comfortably, get our educations, get decent jobs we love, and that we paid off completely in 10 years. It was a choice we made. Just because it isn't the one you would have made does not make it the wrong choice for us, and the couple in the OP are the only ones who can decide if it is the right one for them.

Finally, you can argue all you like about the specifics but it is entirely possible for these parents to be successful, your doomsday scenarios are not particularly helpful or even meaningful to anything I have stated. I know its possible, I did it. I have a nice upper middle class lifestyle, in a nice town, with happy, healthy, well-adjusted kids in college.

Pretending that hard is the same thing as impossible is just that, pretending. But they are already pregnant, and the best thing for their family is to get their educations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.