Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 06:29 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,088,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Funny how people who know nothing want to judge. These kids have been together since 8th grade (6 years) engaged for 2. They both started working at 14. They certainly are planning a future together . Just not this soon. I would not worry too much about them living on your tax dollars.
When you said in the OP that the kids aren't able to purchase their own insurance, you didn't say why which makes it sound like they cannot afford it. Perhaps before everyone started assuming they'd go on welfare and Medicaid you could have just said how they're planning to pay for the maternity care and child's insurance.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:49 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,239,344 times
exactly

if they are college students then all the talk about starting work at 14 is kind of meaningless - if they are college students then they aren't in their career and you stated yourself that they aren't able to currently purchase their own insurance

so if they work it's a job that doesn't provide insurance

your insurance will not cover the baby

so either the baby will go uninsured, go on a gov't program or they will buy private insurance for the baby on the open market ..... 2 of those options are a public drain and you made it sound like the 3rd wasn't feasible ..... if it is, then great

either way though I'd maybe go easy on how great and dedicated these kids are to each other when they apparently had enough sense to get into college, but not enough brains to understand why they were there

i sincerely hope they finish school, get their career started, deal with the financial stress of starting out in the world, deal with all the stresses of being a parent and come out wiser on the other side ....... it's the best outcome for everyone - it's unfortunately fairly rare

Old 09-05-2013, 11:47 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,544,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Get married. Do what's right. It isn't right to have a baby out of wedlock.
It amazes me that the people who push marriage when someone is pregnant are the same people that have a problem with sex outside wedlock. Two wrongs don't make a right.

The only decision guiding marriage should be love and the willingness to make a forever commitment to each other.

Regardless of marriage, these adults need to make a forever commitment to the child.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:17 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,960,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
^^^ And THIS Is what I don't get. It's THE most life-changing thing you can do, and is VERY easy to prevent, yet people take it so lightly (and then expect other people, i.e. taxpayers, to fork over their hard-earned money to support the kid that they can't support and never should have had). Makes me crazy.

/end rant

OP, I hope it works out, but I don't have high hopes giving what stupid choices they have already made.
This! There ought to be a law whereby if a woman is pregnant, a judge can make a ruling as to whether the baby can be carried to full term, in cases of teen pregnancies, too many baby daddies etc, some pregnancies should be terminated. Some people reproduce at the expense of taxpayers money.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,204,032 times
In the long run, putting the baby on medicaid now so they can finish college and start careers, will end up costing tax payers less. If one of them, most likely mom, quits school now, and they get married, and maybe end up divorced, the taxpayers will end up paying for long term medicaid, subsidized day care, food stamps...

Old 09-05-2013, 02:24 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,236,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
This! There ought to be a law whereby if a woman is pregnant, a judge can make a ruling as to whether the baby can be carried to full term, in cases of teen pregnancies, too many baby daddies etc, some pregnancies should be terminated. Some people reproduce at the expense of taxpayers money.
Uh huh. I'd rather support a bum with my tax money than live in a society where a legal court can forcibly abort fetuses because the mother is under 18 or she's had too many kids or whatever. I can think of a few societies which forced termination on people deemed unworthy, do we really want to go there?

Old 09-05-2013, 02:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,204,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Uh huh. I'd rather support a bum with my tax money than live in a society where a legal court can forcibly abort fetuses because the mother is under 18 or she's had too many kids or whatever. I can think of a few societies which forced termination on people deemed unworthy, do we really want to go there?
Interesting how the conservative mind works isn't it?

Old 09-05-2013, 03:11 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,251,161 times
Does the health insurance cover abortion?

Old 09-05-2013, 03:13 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,251,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
They used to do that, in ancient Roman times.

Ever heard of a "cesarian"?

Men used to think they could dictate a woman's fertility, it's nothing new.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:35 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,239,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
They used to do that, in ancient Roman times.

Ever heard of a "cesarian"?

Men used to think they could dictate a woman's fertility, it's nothing new.

I have heard of a "cesarian" - especially since it was the surgical method my wife used to deliver both of my kids

In Roman Times a cesarian was really only used as a long shot effort only if the mother was already dead or sure to die.

It wasn't a procedure that would dictate who could have children at any time .... it was essentially a death sentence for most women until the past couple hundred years when medical technology sufficiently advanced
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.