Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 11:13 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,412,483 times

Advertisements

I never, 'forced', my kids to go to bed. But, they had time in their room, to organize their plans for the next day, pick out their clothes for school, make sure their backpack was packed, read a book, whatever they wanted to do, in their room. Downtime for them. I found this reduced my stress in the morning. They were not, locked in, they could do stuff, but it was quiet time. No computer, no TV. And also, opportunity to organize their room and stuff. I expected an organized room on Saturday morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 02:51 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,263,948 times
Thats not really what I think of 'bedtime' as. When I was a kid 'bedtime' meant being in my bed, lights out, no more reading or anything. Hated it as I had insomnia so would just lie awake for hours bored, thats probably why I'm reluctant to enforce bedtime (in my view of it) but time in the room reading and tidying up sounds good.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,938,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I've known too many folks who let their kids fall asleep on the floor in front of the TV and then they carry them to bed. How sad for everybody concerned. We let our girls stay up till 9 this summer (they are 11) but most of the time they put themselves to bed around 8:30. they have pretty full days so they are tired. but when they were little it was 7 year round and they never much balked.
While I would never advocate letting kids fall asleep on the floor in front of the TV, one of my kids always fought going to bed, even when she was exhausted. Sometimes it's a matter of luck, which you seem to have with these girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
5-5:30am for both. 6am on the days my husband doesn't work (we live in a small house and he always wakes them getting ready for work).
I think I'd put them to bed a little later, myself! I get having the whole evening kid-free, but I appreciate a little more shut-eye in the morning, too. That's just me, I guess.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:58 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,180,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
While I would never advocate letting kids fall asleep on the floor in front of the TV, one of my kids always fought going to bed, even when she was exhausted. Sometimes it's a matter of luck, which you seem to have with these girls.

I think I'd put them to bed a little later, myself! I get having the whole evening kid-free, but I appreciate a little more shut-eye in the morning, too. That's just me, I guess.
If you look at arliss's OP where she mentions 5 to 5:30 she is talking about when they get up. she was asked that question in the previous post. I had prepared some snarky response to putting a kid to bed at 5-5:30 when I took the time to look back and see she had a.m. and not p.m. Makes a big difference doesn't it? I don't think even infants go to bed at 5- 5:30 p.m.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:18 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,239,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We're up at that time anyways, so it works for us.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:20 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,263,948 times
I don't think I could cope getting up that early! I thought it was bad enough getting up at half 8 today, usually we don't wake up til 10!

Old 07-13-2013, 07:22 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,061,703 times
We got both our kids on a schedule from 2-3 months old. My oldest is 9 and his bedtime is 8 with some exceptions especially in summertime. We know we can't force him to fall asleep but he's in his room at that time. Our youngest is 2 and she's in bed at 7.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:26 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,740,545 times
We have loose guidelines, but the kids never had an actual "set" bedtime. We would do the whole bedtime routine when they were little, complete with stories and songs. My son would often fall asleep afterwards (and at 12, is almost always asleep by 10 even without an enforced bedtime), but my daughter has NEVER been a good sleeper, not even when she was an infant. Now at 10, she has to be in her room by 9:00, but there are many nights that she's still awake in there at 11 or even midnight. She might be reading, drawing, just laying in the dark. My husband says that he was just like that as a kid, couldn't fall asleep well and would just be awake long after his parents went to bed. She seems to be well-rested, though, and typically still gets 8 hours of sleep (though I feel like a 10-year-old should be getting more than that). She's also not as strong of a student as my son, though, so I wonder if it's a matter of causation or correlation or coincidence...

Old 07-13-2013, 07:28 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,931,228 times
My son always had a bed time. I know he needs sleep to function correctly. I worked at a school with waaaaay too many grouchy kids who clearly ruled the roost at home.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:02 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,785,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I cannot believe families that have no set bed time for kids, and no bed time routine. The kids run around doing whatever, until they drop, in front of the TV. No story time, bath time, crazy.
I didn't have set bed times. That doesn't mean kids ran around doing whatever. Sometimes it's about kids cuddling with parents watching a movie on the tv, sometimes a bed time story, even in their bed but they weren't tired so got back up to sit quietly. Or talking about this and that.

If they weren't tired, I wasn't going to force them to lay in their beds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting