Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 02:46 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,987,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Kids always give kids nicknames; be careful what puns and fun you are enabling, like "Milagro the bean field"
A "junior" is supposed to change to "II" when the father passes. I had neighbors who were up to Walter IV ?!
Marston the martian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
Boy--Pedro or Wesley
Girl--Cara

Me, I like "common" names, if I may rant just for a bit, I'm not all big on the recent practice of parents purposely choosing unusual and "unique" names for their children so they "will stand out." All it does is make things more complicated for other people with regards to the unusual spelling & pronunciation when they're trying to make their list of customer names & such as "standardized" as possible. Databases and, frankly, everything really all work better when everything is standardized or "normalized," and unusual names, along with hyphenated names & such, just make things more complicated. You're trying also not to mispronounce the name & offend anybody, yet even as you're sincerely trying your best & mean no ugliness, in the back of your mind you can't help but think "what's so bad about naming your kid John or Lisa?"

I know when you name your child it's a personal thing & making things easier for someone maintaining a database of names at their organization isn't apt to be high on the list of priorities (heck, you figure, that's their job after all), and I know diversity & variety makes life more interesting, but I think it gets carried away sometimes. I don't even care for how, for instance, there are 3 or 4 different ways of spelling "Sherry" (also Sherri, Sherrie, Cherie etc). I also don't care for hyphenated last names or the practice of someone going by their middle name instead of their first name for the same reason.

Don't get me wrong, I know people who do that and I never give them a hard time about it, and if I'm steering this topic off-track and off-topic then forgive me, but on the topical level I've always felt that if you want to go by your middle name you should legally change your name so that your middle name is now your first name, and your last name shouldn't have hyphens cluttering it up. That way there's less confusion with the DMV or any other organization that maintains a large list of persons' name etc, they have one less complication to deal with in terms of knowing that what a person goes by is ALWAYS whatever their first name is, no exceptions, and you don't risk issues of the last names not sorting in the right order. I like things practical & simple that way.

I like to point out the example of former basketball player Dikembe Mutombo. His actual name is Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean-Jacques Wamutombo, he's from the Congo, but for the purposes of his play here in the USA he went by Dikembe Mutombo for PRACTICAL purposes. Exactly.

Frankly, I think "mundanely common" is a GREAT thing when it comes to names. It's easy to deal with, and to me, easy to deal with is way on up there as a priority of mine. I like things EASY when possible. Some things get goofed up when easy is the main priority, but to me, names is not one of those things. Why make something hard for yourself or others either when it's not necessary? We named our kids Helen & Adrian for particular reasons beyond that they're easy, but that they're easy was a huge priority just the same. The name Helen I especially like in terms of it being a very "generic" and "easy" name, Adrian isn't so bad either.

LRH
I bet you like tract homes too!

Just messing - you are free to like tract homes, someone needs to. Keeps me busy.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wow. You assume it comes from the movie? My family has been naming boys Wesley for more than 200 years.

Great name.
Well that makes sense, That is about when the movie is set, maybe 300 years ago. Maybe your family has been copying that name form that story for 200 years.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,256,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Well that makes sense, That is about when the movie is set, maybe 300 years ago. Maybe your family has been copying that name form that story for 200 years.
Nope. William Goldman (a genius) wrote the novel the movie is based on in 1973. He also wrote the screenplay. Which helps illustrate why he's a genius.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:52 AM

15,722 posts, read 9,562,754 times
My wife and I decided early on not to name our kids after anyone. There was also no discussion needed about naming our son as a Junior as I have never been fond of my own name. With her having seven brothers and sister (not to mention nieces and nephews) it was a little hard just to get out of her family. I actually did kinda want to name my son after my sister who had passed two years prior. Her name was Julia Beth, so we could have named him Julian. (Same as John Lennon's son, but that's neither here nor there.) She was concerned with that name and it was true that my sister went by Beth because she did not like her first name, same as me not liking my name.

Each case is different. Some folks like to name their children after someone they know, some do not. Some like to have a Jr. or even a third, some do not. Somehow I know more thirds than I do Jr. and they typically go by Trey or Trent.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:13 AM

88,775 posts, read 85,174,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Nope. William Goldman (a genius) wrote the novel the movie is based on in 1973. He also wrote the screenplay. Which helps illustrate why he's a genius.
That he is! He also wrote a lot of other screenplays, such as Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

But I love The Princess Bridge. SO MANY quotable lines.

Maaaahhhhwwaage is what bwings us heah today

Old 06-14-2013, 11:57 AM

322 posts, read 586,180 times
Well anyways, I proposed to my girlfriend yesterday, and she said yes. So that's that. I am going to be a father and a husband!

Old 06-14-2013, 12:32 PM

190 posts, read 392,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post
Well anyways, I proposed to my girlfriend yesterday, and she said yes. So that's that. I am going to be a father and a husband!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

My vote for names:

Boy: Wesley Marsten....My dad's middle name is Wesley so I'm kind of fond of that name. Or you could do a a combination of the 3 to honor both dad's such as:

Westen Pedro....First name a combo of your and your dad's names and, of course, middle for her dad

Girl: Aliana Cara-Lee....This honors all three of the special women in your and your fiance's lives.
Or Carley Aliana

Either way, once your know the gender of your baby, you and your fiance will have no trouble deciding on a name that will suit your new bundle to a "t". Best wishes on your new life together and for a healthy and happy baby.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missesthebeaches View Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!

My vote for names:

Boy: Wesley Marsten....My dad's middle name is Wesley so I'm kind of fond of that name. Or you could do a a combination of the 3 to honor both dad's such as:

Westen Pedro....First name a combo of your and your dad's names and, of course, middle for her dad

Girl: Aliana Cara-Lee....This honors all three of the special women in your and your fiance's lives.
Or Carley Aliana

Either way, once your know the gender of your baby, you and your fiance will have no trouble deciding on a name that will suit your new bundle to a "t". Best wishes on your new life together and for a healthy and happy baby.
Or

Wesmartlyen

Wesdromar

Carleealiana

Lots of people just mush a bunch of names together now days when they have trouble making decisions between their top choices.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:15 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,405,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post
Congrats! Best of luck on selecting a name and on planning your wedding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting