Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 08:55 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,551,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post
They are due in February 2014. I forgot the date, I think it might have been the 17th.

So we like Celeste Paulina. What about this name?

Celina Perla Rolle

I like those two names since they sound pretty and are similarly sounding, since they are identical twins.
I would suggest no cutesy similar sounding names with twins, especially identical twins. I work in pediatricians' office, and I can tell you, it gets confusing. We currently have (among others) a Ryan and Rylan. Now who are we talking about? Who knows? Prescription for wrong kid got called in once, by the doctor, not the nurses!

I remember a set of boy-girl twins from my childhood, Ronnie and Bonnie. That wasn't as confusing, obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 09:37 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,442,890 times
Since they are identical twins, how about Cara and Mila? Or Aliana and Mila? Or Aliana and Tatiana?

Old 07-15-2013, 09:55 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,528,463 times
Quote:
What about these names?

Marianela Aliana Rolle
Celeste Paulina Rolle
I think all four of those names are beautiful by themselves, but I wonder if in combination they might be a mouthful to pronounce. Sometimes a longer name paired with a shorter name works out easier on the tongue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I would suggest no cutesy similar sounding names with twins, especially identical twins. I work in pediatricians' office, and I can tell you, it gets confusing. We currently have (among others) a Ryan and Rylan. Now who are we talking about? Who knows? Prescription for wrong kid got called in once, by the doctor, not the nurses!

I remember a set of boy-girl twins from my childhood, Ronnie and Bonnie. That wasn't as confusing, obviously.
Yes, the same issue comes up in school too. I might avoid naming twins anything too "matchy" also because it may be a source of teasing when they're older.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:57 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,528,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Since they are identical twins, how about Cara and Mila? Or Aliana and Mila? Or Aliana and Tatiana?
These are really pretty, especially Cara and Mila, or Aliana and Mila. Enough similar that they work together but not so much that they seem matchy.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:54 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,622,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post

As someone who is an identical twin, let me just say how happy I am that our parents did NOT give us "matchy" names. Our names even have a different number of syllables.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:28 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,881,661 times
Quote:
They are due in February 2014. I forgot the date, I think it might have been the 17th.

So we like Celeste Paulina. What about this name?

Celina Perla Rolle

I like those two names since they sound pretty and are similarly sounding, since they are identical twins.
Twins are still individual people. The best thing you can do for them now is to start thinking of them as two individual and separate people.

If you would name all your kids matching names than go ahead, but twins already get lumped together as a matched set all the time. No reason to encourage it by making their names basically interchangeable too.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:36 PM

1,910 posts, read 2,558,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Twins are still individual people. The best thing you can do for them now is to start thinking of them as two individual and separate people.

If you would name all your kids matching names than go ahead, but twins already get lumped together as a matched set all the time. No reason to encourage it by making their names basically interchangeable too.

I totally agree with this.

My brothers hate being called "the twins", but it happens. They have similar names, but they are not matching.
My other twin brothers had matching names - even had the same middle name. However, one twin died as an infant, so there was never an issue with the names. (I'm just glad they were not a boy and girl because my mom was seriously going to name them Jack and Jill.)

Upon looking at those two names again, I think I like these:

Celeste Pauline
Celina Purl (or however one wants to spell it )

too many As going on in the middle there.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:41 PM

30,706 posts, read 80,407,478 times
Quote:
OMG!!!!!!!!!! HOLY COW!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! I'M RUNNING OUT OF THINGS TO SCREAM OUT OVER THE INTERNET! I just got back home from the OB/GYN AND SHE SAID WE'RE HAVING TWIN GIRLS! THEY'RE MONOZYGOTIC! I'M SO HYPED UP! JOIN IN MY ECSTASY! WOO!
Congrats. We have those. They are fun. It is harder in the first months, but actually easier after that. They engage each other, so you do not have to engage them all the time. Ours are presently 21 and they are best friends - well more than that. It is really cool. They developed their own language before learning to speak English. They taught us their language before they learned ours. Lots of really neat things about twins.

A bit of info, Recommend NOT joining the mothers of twins club. It is a snotty organization. Keep them in class together for as long as possible. Do not line up your kids or do anything in birth order. Whichever twin is second will likely become hyper competitive. Try not to make the second born one feel "second" in any way.

There is a fun twin convention in twinsburg Ohio each year. Something like 2800 sets of twins of all ages attend. it is really worthwhile. Our girls really have a blast at it. twins of ll ages love it. You should go this year if you can, you will win the trophy for "youngest twins" It is the first weekend in August. It is neat to hang out with people who can totally relate to the whole twin thing. They spend their whole lives begin different. It is nice for them to be in a situation where they are normal and everyone understands their issues. Even before they are born, you will learn a lot if you go there. There are a lot of different universities and scientist who go to collect information and present studies about twins.

It is really exciting. We learned we had twins when we went in for "genetic Counseling." Where they discussed with us donating parts from our defective baby that was sure to die shortly after birth. Their heartbeats were in synch and they were on top of each other so the sonargram showed only one, bUt the alpha beta or something test came back really high so they thought our baby had no brain or a big hole in the spine. Thus, they told us we should consider donating the baby for parts as soon as it was born. They then did a super focused ultrasound to find out where the hols in the spine/brain was and how bad it was. I could not go in. hey had my wife in and the ultrasound lady suddenly said gravely, "We better get your husband in here right now." I wen tin, my wife was crying and I said "what is going on?" The lady said "Well we have two heads!" After the "counseling" we just had, I was thinking national enquirer reports two headed baby in Newport Beach Ca. Then thinking maybe is was siamese type twins, I sad "well are there at least two bodies?" She said - Of course there are, it is twins!. We were so happy.

I remember seeing people at the mall and at the beach with twins before we were married and telling them, "Oh we would love to have twins!" They consistently said "No you don't!" We though they were horrible. Then after our were born people would come up to us and say "We want twins" and we woudl say "no you don't" The first weeks are hellish. You have to learn to force them onto a schedule or you will either die or wish you were dead. However later it is much easier than singles (we had three single babies after the twins).

I did not want ot find out the sex. Ultimately, my wife decided to find out and not tell me so I could be surprised. Then I came home and found the baby room painted pink. No surprise anymore.

My wife got so big, she could not dive. With the seat back far enough for her belly, she could nto reach the pedals on her car. People woudl come up to us and touch her and ask questions. One guy driving by slammed on his brakes and said he had just gotten his girlfriend pregnant and wanted to know if she woudl get that big. IN Home depot I heard a gal tell her boyfriend 'Do not worry honey, no matter what happens I will never get THAT big!" Every where we went people wanted to touch her belly. Some women stood around her and talked about here and how big she was as if she was not there. It was weird.

The twins were big (7 and 7.12). It was so cool having twins. Everyone assumed a young couple with twins first up needed lots of help. The Dr., relatives, people from church . . . all kinds of people gave us stuff, money, formula, diapers, you name it. We had no expenses - zero until they were past elementary school.

Having twins is different. Not wildly different, but different. Try not to get caught up in the whole "We were selected by God to have the privilege of twins" That attitude is very common believe it or not (Which is why we stayed away form the clubs). They also had some sort of competition thing between people with twins resulting from fertilization techniques and procedures and "real twins" (identical). It is a bunch of BS. You are not special, you just had two babies at once. It is both cool and hard, but it does not make you better or special. Never lose sight of that. Otherwise you may get caught up in the whole "we are better BS"

The names people suggested to us were weird. Samantha and Calantha, Jane and Jayne. Fric and Frac. all kinds of crazy things. Remember they will need and crave their own individual identity even more than other children. They will be referred to as 'the twins" they will share bedrooms, invitations, friends. . . I suggest you give them very individual names so they have some separate identity. Their names will be very important. It is one of the few things they will ever have to themselves.

Remember you do not have to name them right away. You can wait, watch their personalities and choose alter. You will also discover they have different personalities even in the womb. For example, when they got up on my wife's lungs (which hurts) she woudl push them down. One woudl simply roll out of the way complacently. The other would kick and punch back when she was pushed to a more comfortable location. They remained like that ever since. One laid back, easy going and complacent, the other feisty, driven and hyper. If you pay attention to which one is where, you will get some idea of their personalities before they are born.

Have fun, and congratulations. Get as much sleep as you can in the next nine months. You will not get any for four or five months after they are born.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:02 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,881,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Congrats. We have those. They are fun. It is harder in the first months, but actually easier after that. They engage each other, so you do not have to engage them all the time. Ours are presently 21 and they are best friends - well more than that. It is really cool. They developed their own language before learning to speak English. They taught us their language before they learned ours. Lots of really neat things about twins.

A bit of info, Recommend NOT joining the mothers of twins club. It is a snotty organization. Keep them in class together for as long as possible. Do not line up your kids or do anything in birth order. Whichever twin is second will likely become hyper competitive. Try not to make the second born one feel "second" in any way.

There is a fun twin convention in twinsburg Ohio each year. Something like 2800 sets of twins of all ages attend. it is really worthwhile. Our girls really have a blast at it. twins of ll ages love it. You should go this year if you can, you will win the trophy for "youngest twins" It is the first weekend in August. It is neat to hang out with people who can totally relate to the whole twin thing. They spend their whole lives begin different. It is nice for them to be in a situation where they are normal and everyone understands their issues. Even before they are born, you will learn a lot if you go there. There are a lot of different universities and scientist who go to collect information and present studies about twins.

It is really exciting. We learned we had twins when we went in for "genetic Counseling." Where they discussed with us donating parts from our defective baby that was sure to die shortly after birth. Their heartbeats were in synch and they were on top of each other so the sonargram showed only one, bUt the alpha beta or something test came back really high so they thought our baby had no brain or a big hole in the spine. Thus, they told us we should consider donating the baby for parts as soon as it was born. They then did a super focused ultrasound to find out where the hols in the spine/brain was and how bad it was. I could not go in. hey had my wife in and the ultrasound lady suddenly said gravely, "We better get your husband in here right now." I wen tin, my wife was crying and I said "what is going on?" The lady said "Well we have two heads!" After the "counseling" we just had, I was thinking national enquirer reports two headed baby in Newport Beach Ca. Then thinking maybe is was siamese type twins, I sad "well are there at least two bodies?" She said - Of course there are, it is twins!. We were so happy.

I remember seeing people at the mall and at the beach with twins before we were married and telling them, "Oh we would love to have twins!" They consistently said "No you don't!" We though they were horrible. Then after our were born people would come up to us and say "We want twins" and we woudl say "no you don't" The first weeks are hellish. You have to learn to force them onto a schedule or you will either die or wish you were dead. However later it is much easier than singles (we had three single babies after the twins).

I did not want ot find out the sex. Ultimately, my wife decided to find out and not tell me so I could be surprised. Then I came home and found the baby room painted pink. No surprise anymore.

My wife got so big, she could not dive. With the seat back far enough for her belly, she could nto reach the pedals on her car. People woudl come up to us and touch her and ask questions. One guy driving by slammed on his brakes and said he had just gotten his girlfriend pregnant and wanted to know if she woudl get that big. IN Home depot I heard a gal tell her boyfriend 'Do not worry honey, no matter what happens I will never get THAT big!" Every where we went people wanted to touch her belly. Some women stood around her and talked about here and how big she was as if she was not there. It was weird.

The twins were big (7 and 7.12). It was so cool having twins. Everyone assumed a young couple with twins first up needed lots of help. The Dr., relatives, people from church . . . all kinds of people gave us stuff, money, formula, diapers, you name it. We had no expenses - zero until they were past elementary school.

Having twins is different. Not wildly different, but different. Try not to get caught up in the whole "We were selected by God to have the privilege of twins" That attitude is very common believe it or not (Which is why we stayed away form the clubs). They also had some sort of competition thing between people with twins resulting from fertilization techniques and procedures and "real twins" (identical). It is a bunch of BS. You are not special, you just had two babies at once. It is both cool and hard, but it does not make you better or special. Never lose sight of that. Otherwise you may get caught up in the whole "we are better BS"

The names people suggested to us were weird. Samantha and Calantha, Jane and Jayne. Fric and Frac. all kinds of crazy things. Remember they will need and crave their own individual identity even more than other children. They will be referred to as 'the twins" they will share bedrooms, invitations, friends. . . I suggest you give them very individual names so they have some separate identity. Their names will be very important. It is one of the few things they will ever have to themselves.

Remember you do not have to name them right away. You can wait, watch their personalities and choose alter. You will also discover they have different personalities even in the womb. For example, when they got up on my wife's lungs (which hurts) she woudl push them down. One woudl simply roll out of the way complacently. The other would kick and punch back when she was pushed to a more comfortable location. They remained like that ever since. One laid back, easy going and complacent, the other feisty, driven and hyper. If you pay attention to which one is where, you will get some idea of their personalities before they are born.

Have fun, and congratulations. Get as much sleep as you can in the next nine months. You will not get any for four or five months after they are born.
This is a really great post.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:40 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,622,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post

Yes, please always remember the individuality. That was one of the most frustrating parts of growing up an identical twin. Some people refuse to believe you should have different favorite colors, interests, or even friends. I remember not being invited to a good friend's party in early elementary school because they thought my sister would have to be invited too since they could only have a limited number of kids. I also remember being given a birthday present of one wall poster for both of us when we finally had separate rooms.... Being skipped for questions/opinions because "obviously yours is the same". We despised being called "the twins". We despised constantly being asked if we could read each other's minds or if we acted as each other's mirrors when trying on clothes... My parents were amazing growing up and really honored our individuality, but not every one else does this.

The constant comparison led us to not even apply a single common college, and we went to universities a 1000 apart from each other. We still talked 24/7 then and still do today, but at least we could explore our separate interests. I speak to my sister almost on the hour though we are both married living separate lives. She is a scientist living in a more suburban area while I work in finance and live in NYC.

We had a couple pairs of other twins that we were friends with growing up, one pair identical and one pair fraternal. I always felt bad for the identical pair that was forced to dress exactly the same and had matching, rhyming names.

And when I'm asked, what's it like to have a twin, my response is pretty simple. I can't say I know what it's like to not have a twin, but I can't imagine not having been born with my best friend and shared soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting