Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 05:08 AM

16,824 posts, read 17,816,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I agree. If five students got meningitis, the school would notify parents, and suicide is more serious than that.
Reality check just for a small moment meningitis, both bacterial and viral, ARE CONTAGIOUS DISEASES.

Suicide is not a disease, and is not spread through contact in the classroom.

Meningitis = contagious at school

Suicide = not contagious at school

See the difference?

Seriously, talk to your children about this frequently and stop expecting the school to violate someone's constitutional rights so you don't have to talk to your kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 06:53 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,947,703 times
Suicide among young people is so hard to understand........what can be so bad at that young age as to make them want to end their life ?

That is the age most of us were thinking about things like getting a date for Friday night, or the Prom, a party that was upcoming, getting our first car, and generally just having fun and enjoying life. What has changed so dramatically that kids now see death as preferable to life ? This should be the happiest time of their life, I know it was for me and probably most of you too. Very sad and very confusing.

Don

Old 06-11-2013, 06:55 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,244,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Suicide among young people is so hard to understand........what can be so bad at that young age as to make them want to end their life ?

That is the age most of us were thinking about things like getting a date for Friday night, or the Prom, a party that was upcoming, getting our first car, and generally just having fun and enjoying life. What has changed so dramatically that kids now see death as preferable to life ? This should be the happiest time of their life, I know it was for me and probably most of you too. Very sad and very confusing.

Don
God, no. High school was awful.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:12 AM

12,979 posts, read 14,612,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It seems interesting to me that opportunities NOT to remain in the dark have been presented to you, but you choose to ignore them. I wonder why that is.
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Reality check just for a small moment meningitis, both bacterial and viral, ARE CONTAGIOUS DISEASES.

Suicide is not a disease, and is not spread through contact in the classroom.

Meningitis = contagious at school

Suicide = not contagious at school

See the difference?

Seriously, talk to your children about this frequently and stop expecting the school to violate someone's constitutional rights so you don't have to talk to your kids.
Whether or not suicide clusters should be referred to as a Contagion are strongly debated within the mental health community.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Huh?

The poster to whom I replied, not you, was bemoaning how in the dark the poor beleaguered parents were going to be since they don't have school to nanny for them. In this thread, ideas were presented about how to remain informed about what is going on in your child's life and in their social media so that family's privacy can be respected and schools' primary objective can remain the focus. It seems pretty simple.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:28 AM

13,982 posts, read 26,061,333 times
Moderator Cut

So far the suggestions have been to talk to your kids, and be aware of their activities on social websites. If a parent has NO IDEA there have been 5 recent suicides, and has no reason to think their child would take that path, how many realistically would bring up the subject on an ongoing basis? Most parents I know are "friends" with their kids on FB, as am I. But, not to the point of "friends of friends". We can see what our own kids post, while still being in the dark about other information going out.

I don't even have a child at the high school. But, I am absolutely crushed by the recent events, and yes, I think the school has a moral obligation to share the information with the parents. There is no need to name names.

How perfect things must be in your world to scoff at such a tragic issue and blame the parents who didn't see it coming.

Last edited by Jaded; 06-11-2013 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: Removed deleted post/quote

Old 06-11-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
So far the suggestions have been to talk to your kids, and be aware of their activities on social websites. If a parent has NO IDEA there have been 5 recent suicides, and has no reason to think their child would take that path, how many realistically would bring up the subject on an ongoing basis?
Well that is a really interesting conversational transition about responsibility, and one of the reasons I object to the growing trend to make schools more and more responsible for kids well being across all life areas. It creates a mental and emotional safe haven for parents to abdicate that responsibility IMO.

Quote:
Most parents I know are "friends" with their kids on FB, as am I. But, not to the point of "friends of friends". We can see what our own kids post, while still being in the dark about other information going out.
That is bad. I hope you choose to rectify that. Suicide is not the only issue affected by burgeoning social media development. From sexting to bullying to... OY.

Quote:
I don't even have a child at the high school. But, I am absolutely crushed by the recent events, and yes, I think the school has a moral obligation to share the information with the parents. There is no need to name names.

How perfect things must be in your world to scoff at such a tragic issue and blame the parents who didn't see it coming.
Who is scoffing? Not I. I am not blaming either. I am stating that in my opinion, the family's rights trump the rest of the parents' right to keep their head in the sand until such time as some authority notifies them of a risk. Being aware is our JOB.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:56 AM

13,982 posts, read 26,061,333 times
Quote:
Well that is a really interesting conversational transition about responsibility, and one of the reasons I object to the growing trend to make schools more and more responsible for kids well being across all life areas. It creates a mental and emotional safe haven for parents to abdicate that responsibility IMO.
At this point, the only verifiable connection between the student suicides, is the school that they attended. They weren't friends, they weren't all in the same grade, and there were both boys and girls. The school is the common link. For that alone, the school bears some responsibility to help put a stop to it.

Nobody is suggesting that parental involvement isn't key. But, if nobody tells you there is an e coli outbreak with fresh spinach, chances are you'll keep serving it until you read otherwise, quite unaware of the risk. Parents need to be alerted to this risk.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:10 AM

89,031 posts, read 85,578,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Don
That was not everyone's experience. It was not mine. There were no dates, no prom, no fun. There was ridicule and shame and the awful realization that I was unacceptable and that there was no place for me in that world.

Quote:
God, no. High school was awful.
I wanted to die. I was too afraid to commit suicide, but I didn't want to wake up in the morning, either. It was the longest, loneliest four years of my life.

Fortunately, life did improve when I got away from that world. When I hear of teen suicides, that's what I wish I could tell them. That there's more, even though they can't see it right now.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-11-2013 at 10:28 AM..

Old 06-11-2013, 10:35 AM

16,824 posts, read 17,816,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
At this point, the only verifiable connection between the student suicides, is the school that they attended. They weren't friends, they weren't all in the same grade, and there were both boys and girls. The school is the common link. For that alone, the school bears some responsibility to help put a stop to it.

Nobody is suggesting that parental involvement isn't key. But, if nobody tells you there is an e coli outbreak with fresh spinach, chances are you'll keep serving it until you read otherwise, quite unaware of the risk. Parents need to be alerted to this risk.
Then you should make a constitutional amendment that allows violation of privacy of minors so some parents don't have to make the effort to talk to their kids.

Easy Peasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting