Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 10:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,767,958 times

Advertisements

Kind of a hard one -- the kids of course will know about the suicides, parents won't.

The only thing I can see is to keep communication open with your kid and be attuned to what's going on with them. Cluster or no cluster, you wouldn't want your child to be a sole or first suicide of a cluster, you have to do what you can do to prevent your child from despair.

Even more important, make sure they know you love them, that problems are just temporary, that high school is just temporary and that you don't care if they're not popular at school, the family dog doesn't care if they're not popular at school. Make sure they know joy. Make sure your home is a sanctuary for them, you can't make them popular at school but you can make sure the home is happy and safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 06:04 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,207,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
That is hardly what I said. I don't think under any circumstances that private information should be passed on by the school. But I do think the schools need to make parents partners in dealing with this. And, the school already acknowledges discussion among the student body by providing crisis counselors, despite the suicides not taking place on school property. The school should be sending notification home that it happened, no names necessary, and encouraging parents to talk to their children.

All too often parents state they had no idea their child was suicidal. To close your eyes to a cluster of the same is foolish. My sons are a few years out of high school now, and there were no suicides when they attended. I wouldn't have thought to broach the subject without prior warning signs.

I just disagree with this. No one is suggesting closing eyes. Quite the opposite. PARENTS should keep their eyes open. AFAIC we expect too much from our schools that is completely unrelated to education. So much so that we are failing in education.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:59 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,759,388 times
Quote:
That is hardly what I said. I don't think under any circumstances that private information should be passed on by the school. But I do think the schools need to make parents partners in dealing with this. And, the school already acknowledges discussion among the student body by providing crisis counselors, despite the suicides not taking place on school property. The school should be sending notification home that it happened, no names necessary, and encouraging parents to talk to their children.
Allowing children an opportunity to talk about grief, regardless of the cause of death (and in every district I have worked in we have brought in grief counselors whenever a student dies), is not the same things as obligating the school to violate privacy and the wishes of the family just because your kids don't talk to you.

Quote:
All too often parents state they had no idea their child was suicidal. To close your eyes to a cluster of the same is foolish. My sons are a few years out of high school now, and there were no suicides when they attended. I wouldn't have thought to broach the subject without prior warning signs.
Suicide is the second leading cause of death among high school aged teens. If you wait until there is a suicide in the school to talk to your children then you have already waited too late.

It is not the schools job to teach you how to be a good parent when it comes to communicating with your children about events that happen outside of school to other people.

Where exactly does your personal responsibility go?

Old 06-10-2013, 09:23 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,582,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Allowing children an opportunity to talk about grief, regardless of the cause of death (and in every district I have worked in we have brought in grief counselors whenever a student dies), is not the same things as obligating the school to violate privacy and the wishes of the family just because your kids don't talk to you.

Suicide is the second leading cause of death among high school aged teens. If you wait until there is a suicide in the school to talk to your children then you have already waited too late.

It is not the schools job to teach you how to be a good parent when it comes to communicating with your children about events that happen outside of school to other people.

Where exactly does your personal responsibility go?
Privacy would extend to the exact details of the death. None of the school suicide prevention programs that I am aware of suggest those details are necessary, but neither do they suggest supressing dissemination of information due to privacy concerns.

Here is a widely used resource as an example:

After a Suicide: A Toolkit for Schools

Old 06-10-2013, 09:58 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,759,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Privacy would extend to the exact details of the death. None of the school suicide prevention programs that I am aware of suggest those details are necessary, but neither do they suggest supressing dissemination of information due to privacy concerns.

Here is a widely used resource as an example:

After a Suicide: A Toolkit for Schools
Maybe in your state. In mine if the family does not wish for us to disseminate that information, we cannot.

Its true for all information on minors, it is fundamentally private.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:25 PM

13,982 posts, read 25,985,357 times
And, today there was yet another suicide by a student. #5. Now, of course, school is out for the year, so if the family doesn't want publicity (completely understandable), the students will learn about it on social media or via text, and the parents will probably remain in the dark.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:40 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,196,815 times
Quote:
And, today there was yet another suicide by a student. #5. Now, of course, school is out for the year, so if the family doesn't want publicity (completely understandable), the students will learn about it on social media or via text, and the parents will probably remain in the dark.
I am so sorry that there was another death in your community.

Perhaps some parents who feel strongly about this issue need to get involved. There has to some way to get in contact with other parents in that school. There must be parent sports booster clubs & parents of band students, PTA members, or local church groups or whatever. Parents need to start using their connections and social media to alert other parents.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:09 PM

13,982 posts, read 25,985,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I am so sorry that there was another death in your community.

Perhaps some parents who feel strongly about this issue need to get involved. There has to some way to get in contact with other parents in that school. There must be parent sports booster clubs & parents of band students, PTA members, or local church groups or whatever. Parents need to start using their connections and social media to alert other parents.
I wonder though, if there is really a means of reaching every single parent in a school of 2100 kids. I don't know who all the suicides are, but I'm pretty sure they aren't heavily involved in school activities. The most effective way would be a robo call from the school office. They have contact information for every student. It should be followed up by opening the school for a meeting. This is really a horrible situation.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:01 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,092,764 times
Quote:
I wonder though, if there is really a means of reaching every single parent in a school of 2100 kids. I don't know who all the suicides are, but I'm pretty sure they aren't heavily involved in school activities. The most effective way would be a robo call from the school office. They have contact information for every student. It should be followed up by opening the school for a meeting. This is really a horrible situation.
I agree. If five students got meningitis, the school would notify parents, and suicide is more serious than that.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:54 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,207,366 times
Quote:
It seems interesting to me that opportunities NOT to remain in the dark have been presented to you, but you choose to ignore them. I wonder why that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting