Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 12:21 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,528,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
The reason some have suggested using "real books" is because, let's face it, that iPad is going to end up becoming a video game machine more than a reading supplement. Trust me, it will. Just as my wife kept buying all of these "learn to read" DVDs for our 2 kids and I kept telling her "watch, they're going to nag you to death & whine for it to be playing Dora & Thomas the Train 95% of the time"--bingo! I've had to really lay it down with them to fix that. It's a battle I'm more than capable of winning and do, but a battle that always pops up nonetheless.

Besides, I have hardly found the previous posts self-righteous at all. If you want self-righteous, it would sound like this "I don't know why parents nowadays want to spoil their kids and get them addicted to those stupid i-This and i-That gizmos? What's going on with these freaks? Do they really think Apple invented reading supplements? Have they never heard of, gee, I don't know, FLASH cards? What have the libraries been getting by with for all of these years before almight Apple came along & saved us from our wretched, poor existence? Where would Einstein be if his parents had sat around on their fat lazy hind-ends going 'uh, duh, like, I can't teach you to read son, Apple hasn't invented the iPad yet.' "

Now THAT is self-righteous & condescending.

LRH
My question was pretty specific and focused just on apps. It was not a general question about teaching a child to read. The first few answers weren't answers but were just posters opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 12:52 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,473,271 times
OP: forgot to type my recommendation. reading rainbow. i don't think it's free, but it is very good. My daughter loves it.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:30 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
OP: forgot to type my recommendation. reading rainbow. i don't think it's free, but it is very good. My daughter loves it.
the app is free
Reading Rainbow

Also, Starfall.com is a good website for reading. Starfall's Learn to Read with phonics
They have an iPad app too, but reviews say it isn't worth the price because it only seems to be the ABC app. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/star...395623983?mt=8

Old 05-22-2013, 08:39 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,528,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
the app is free
Reading Rainbow

Also, Starfall.com is a good website for reading. Starfall's Learn to Read with phonics
They have an iPad app too, but reviews say it isn't worth the price because it only seems to be the ABC app. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/star...395623983?mt=8
Thanks.

We have tried Starfall but haven't spent much time there.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:06 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,054,232 times
We have ABCMouse.com for our 2 year old. They have an iPad app that goes with it. I believe we paid $50 for the year. Check it out to see how far up it goes. It's a good mix of reading, music, puzzles and coloring.

Here is a list of highly rated (by whom I don't know) apps for kids in 2012
The 12 Best Children

Old 05-23-2013, 04:30 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Looking for app suggestions for my child who is just finishing up kindergarten. Any thoughts on helping him keep up with his "reading" over the summer. Right now he is working on sight words and sounding out words.
Not reading. . .maybe to young? Endless alaphabet (ABC) is amazing. A world flashes, and falls apart. You assemble the word back together. Then you get a cool act out (with monsters) of that word. It might fit the bell. . because you assemble/spell out the word. It does the phonetic and then it says it/defines it

It may be too young?

Here are some links. I know right away I need to get the "PRESS HERE" App. . .which is a favorite book of my toddler.

The ipad is a great educational tool (better than another good tool, Television) but just like any tool it can be used for good and not so good. I would set rules (okay you can play only these games in this folder. If you play movies/etc I'll take it away. . and won't let you play).

Balance in all things

but the value in the ipad over a regular book is engagement. . .it will keep them reading longer. There is something to be said for that.

Of course, I also bought my toddler an nexus 7 (he pretty much rejected, dads "IPAD" is all that matters *sigh. . )

Best Apps For Kids 2012

The best iPad apps for toddlers

BTW: ignore the haters. they troll they troll with their "in my day, we only played by the light of the sun and with sticks and stones"

Old 07-18-2013, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,207 times
Hi,
I`m not sure whether it is still relevant) but my son has begun learning to read recently and he likes to play I Know My World app on the iPad. It is one of those educational flashcard apps with letters and pictures of different objects and a voice-over naming them. It turned out to be pretty helpful for us

Old 07-19-2013, 11:31 AM

563 posts, read 1,498,872 times
There is an app called "Apps gone free" and it updates every morning with a new list of apps that are free. Games, productivity, etc. But I have seen and gotten many books for free. One time I even got a Mercer Mayer book, Me & mom, which was a GREAT app because it would read to you, let you read, and would let you record 4 or 5 different voices reading the book too! So you can record mom reading it, dad, grandma, grandpa.

Reading rainbow - we have it, but don't subscribe. I think it's expensive. 10/month? I don't want to subscribe to that. We don't let my daughter have the ipad often enough. But you can make 5 different profiles and each get one free book.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:30 PM

606 posts, read 943,927 times
Look at Storypatch. It's an app that lets kids write books that can be illustrated with either clip art or your own photos. It includes some Mad-Libs type templates that can be edited at will, or kids can write stories completely from scratch.

We got it for my daughter when she was going into kindergarten and she seemed to enjoy it. We wrote some stories together about things that had happened in pictures we'd taken, and she wrote some on her own.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:14 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,417 times
Another vote for Endless ABC (also called Endless Alphabet) it is excellent, my 22 mo. old knows all his letters and the sounds they make from this app alone. ABC Animals is also good, but I don't think it works on the IPAD. I know Endless Alphabet does, its cute, fun, educational, and free!

I've never seen so many unhelpful replies, does everything have to be some debate on parenting choices filled with drama and arguing?! The OP asked for helpful IPAD apps, not parenting advice on allowing their child to use an IPAD as another tool in teaching her child to read. Clearly they've made that choice already, no need to berate over IPAD vs. the library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting