Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 07:09 PM

841 posts, read 4,839,741 times

Advertisements

Hi,
my first born is starting kindergarten tomorrow and I want to make it a very special day for him.
Do any of you have ideas for how to celebrate such a milestone? Just FYI, he's not riding a school bus, so bus stop ideas unfortunately won't work for this year.
Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 07:48 PM

345 posts, read 1,578,352 times
could you decorate his bike and maybe ride to school??

Old 09-03-2007, 08:09 PM

788 posts, read 4,068,234 times
Perhaps throw him a little party when he returns from school. Have a little cake, a few decorations, and make a big deal about what a big boy he is now, and how proud you are of him. You could hide little school-themed presents and treats around for him to find, like a box of crayons, a ruler, etc.--just some things from the dollar store that will make him feel special.

You're a sweet, thoughtful mommy.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:15 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,907,503 times
Default Nice post

I just wanted to say "that's such a nice post"

I'm in the same boat as you. Plus I LOVED to read NO BUS. But that's a whole different topic (sore spot) for us.
We are taking the day off work to accompany our son to school. If he lets us. We let him know that it was an important day for Mommy & Daddy as well. When we pick him up, we will take our big boy out to lunch and listen to all the details about his first day.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:55 AM

464 posts, read 753,013 times
Hope I'm not to late. I took all three of my kids out to a special lunch on the first day of Kindergarten. They are now 19, 10 and 13 now we celebrate the last day of school since it is always a half day with lunch and the movies. They all look forward to our traditions.

Have a fun day.

T

Old 09-04-2007, 05:02 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
Hi,
my first born is starting kindergarten tomorrow and I want to make it a very special day for him.
Do any of you have ideas for how to celebrate such a milestone? Just FYI, he's not riding a school bus, so bus stop ideas unfortunately won't work for this year.
Thanks everyone!
LOL I started to say: "Have a mimosa". Sorry.....

Old 09-05-2007, 07:57 AM

841 posts, read 4,839,741 times
I actually thought about a mimosa....but would've had to take a nap by 10:00am. So I decided against it! : )
So this is what I did...
I took a few photos of him at the house with his new backpack on. Then while he was at school, I baked a cake. When he got home, we frosted and decorated it together. Then I made spaghetti and meatballs for his dinner and the whole family did a toast to a successful, fun, and happy new school year.
He was SO excited on his first day you guys. He didn't want to come home with me when I picked him up! On the way home he said 'I want to go back to school. Home is so boring". Then when I tucked him in bed last night, he said he wanted to wake up in the morning and go straight to school...no breakfast, no tv, just straight to school. Kindergarten is a major hit.
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for all of your ideas. It's nice to know I can get advice and opinions from other great moms.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:04 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Getting here late, but every year on the first day of school we take a picture of my daughter on the front porch with her backpack in her new school clothes. We started the tradition in pre-school and it's something she looks forward to now.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:23 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Getting here late, but every year on the first day of school we take a picture of my daughter on the front porch with her backpack in her new school clothes. We started the tradition in pre-school and it's something she looks forward to now.
I did as well, until they were able to drive and wouldn't stand still long enough

Old 09-05-2007, 03:46 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,700,878 times
We went out to Baskin Robbins for clown ice cream cones

For first grade he's requested the Play place of Mc Donald's (we never stop there long enough for him to play - so why not?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting