Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:36 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,741,095 times

Advertisements

The thread on getting kid a preschool graduation present got me wondering other gift giving occasions.. Is it normal to celebrate half birthdays? You know, your kid is turning 5 1/2, do you give them presents? Throw a party?

This is seriously something I never heard of before moving to this country. I met my husband ten years ago while traveling in CA and one night we went to his friends house where a bunch of people were gathered. There was a couple that had been dating a few weeks and the girl kept on wondering on what the guy would give her for her half birthday. She was turning 23. For real. I thought it was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard. Is this just a cultural difference or is it typical to celebrate this kind of thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 10:45 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,449,473 times
I know some people celebrate half birthdays for kids whose whole birthdays are at difficult times of the year (example, Christmas). My wife and I have thought about doing this for two of our children when they get older because both have bdays within a week of Christmas.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:52 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,741,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
I know some people celebrate half birthdays for kids whose whole birthdays are at difficult times of the year (example, Christmas). My wife and I have thought about doing this for two of our children when they get older because both have bdays within a week of Christmas.
Hmm I didn't even think it that way! Interesting and definitely makes sense. Would you then celebrate the normal birthdays as well? I mean, would you have two birthday celebrations every year?

Old 05-10-2010, 11:07 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,934,908 times
It's come up at our kid's school. If a kid has a birthday during the school year, the parents are invited to come to the class and have a class celebration for them, (provided they bring enough for everyone). Those kids who's birthdays happen off the school calendar can choose to celebrate their half-birthday.

I can see both sides, but I only fork out presents for the actual birthday. The school one is just cupcakes.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:12 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,285,713 times
My oldest's b-day is Christmas Day. I gave him the option of half birthday's but he declined. He likes having his birthday in the middle of the school year. When I was looking into hald-birthday party, I would have stated that it is for the party only an no giftssz expected, if someone would like to being a toy, we would make a donation to the local children's hospital.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:36 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,930,238 times
We used to celebrate my half-birthday with my grandma because we didn't see her very much, and she liked to throw me a party. It was just family as it was at her house.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:56 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,667,624 times
Half Birthdays is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard of. Who comes up with this nonsense. Your birthday is you Birthday no matter how non convenient the day is for anyone. This is just sickening. if you are born on Christmas, you should still get a Happy Birthday, along with a merry Christmas.

Ugh !!!

Old 05-10-2010, 01:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,198,006 times
No! I'm lucky if I remember a half birthday, and I might say "hey! You're 5 1/2 today!" The only exception I've heard of is bringing birthday treats to school. If someone has a summer birthday, they might bring them on their half birthday.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:02 PM

2,219 posts, read 3,369,156 times
I don't know anyone who has celebrated a half-birthday. My twins birthday is the day after christmas. We celebrate their birthday on the actual date, just like everyone else. When they were younger and we'd have a party or sleepover, we'd schedule it for another day, either right before school let out for winter break or during the actual break, whatever worked best for us at the time.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:26 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,083,355 times
Sometimes kids do this at at school if they have a summer birthday and want to celebrate with the class at school.

Just think, all those kids in July and August never get to hear "Happy birthday" from teachers or school chums (unless they are friends outside school).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting