Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 02:35 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,508,084 times

Advertisements

irish--I'm curious about your MC. Has he or she asked the two of you to establish goals for your therapy? A good therapist will do so. A good therapist doesn't want to see you forever. He or she wants to help you manage your own life and marriage and be done with it.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:13 PM

818 posts, read 861,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet*Tea View Post
Well do you tell your therapist it doesn't work?
Yeah and she promises to do better and the therapist tells me it takes time and no, no divorce lawyer.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:16 PM

Why is it that she does things that she knows will make me feel bad? I'll answer my own question. If I feel bad then I cave and give into her and help her revert back to her spoiled rotten years her dad put up with. I kind of blame her parents, had they not spoiled her than maybe I wouldn't be dealing with it. But in hindsight I helped create this mess.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:17 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,419,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
Yeah and she promises to do better and the therapist tells me it takes time and no, no divorce lawyer.
Your therapist is right. Your wife's behavior won't change anytime soon. Even if you don't cave in, she'll keep trying until you set a new pattern. This may take years. And let's just forget about the divorce lawyer. I think even now you realize that you're never going to see one, and never wanted to. You actually hinted to that earlier by mentioning your pre-nup.

Quote:
Why is it that she does things that she knows will make me feel bad? I'll answer my own question. If I feel bad then I cave and give into her and help her revert back to her spoiled rotten years her dad put up with. I kind of blame her parents, had they not spoiled her than maybe I wouldn't be dealing with it. But in hindsight I helped create this mess.
Umm, irishfan77, this has nothing to do with her parents. You married her. You have a child with her. You are both adults and parents. It's a bit late in the game to blame her parents. And if you are going to blame them, then you should be fair and also blame your parents for your role in this situation for more than 18 years. I don't know if you helped create it so much as you were drawn to it (her) - which your parents disapproved of - and have become quite addicted to it.

So your wife is spoiled. This is part of who she is, her personality. You knew this going into the marriage. But, has your therapist discussed the co-dependency going on in your marriage and household? This truly is the root of most of the issues in your marriage and your son's delayed maturity, IMO. The three of you are, IMHO, dependent upon one another for your own individual wants and needs, in an unhealthy way.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:13 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,555,755 times
right on jaded. I wish he could see some of the things we have been telling him.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post

So your wife is spoiled. This is part of who she is, her personality. You knew this going into the marriage. (
I had no idea it was going to be like this when we got married. I thought this was just the way she was with her parents

Old 08-03-2013, 11:41 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,630,357 times
Quote:
I had no idea it was going to be like this when we got married. I thought this was just the way she was with her parents
Well at some point, during the 19 years you've been married, it hasn't occurred to you this isn't normal? I can't wrap my head around that.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:59 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,421,545 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Well at some point, during the 19 years you've been married, it hasn't occurred to you this isn't normal? I can't wrap my head around that.
I was thinking the same things.
There are some things that my spouse does that I ignored/minimized for quite some time.
But 19 years, is really a long time to be blind to her manipulating and childish behaviors.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:29 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,529,322 times
Quote:
EVERYBODY thinks this about their spouse's negative qualities.

That's why I always say that nothing magic happens to change you or your spouse when you say your vows. You are the very same people the day after you marry that you were the day BEFORE you married.

Not only did you have a less-than-deal start as teen parents, but your relationship also had the unfortunate SIX YEARS of stagnation while you were at school.

So she apparently was living at home with her parents and her new little baby toy, re-establishing the same spoiled behavior that set in motion in her childhood. Then once you graduate, it's like, "OK let's be a married couple raising a child now!"

And you've tried that all these years. But as you can see, it has not worked as well as you had hoped.

That's how it looks from my armchair, anyway.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:09 AM

6,812 posts, read 7,027,537 times
Didn't OP say she was living on her own in an apartment when he was at school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting