Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 01:13 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,728,199 times

Advertisements

I know over 50 years ago there were violent cartoons on TV & I never heard anyone worry about it. Kids of all ages watched. We have violent people in the world, probably in nearly every neighborhood. Even violent police officers. What about wars? Many Christians seem to like wars, at least when the other country isn't Christian. Aren't there plenty of violent acts described in the Holy Bible?

I saw on TV a minister saying if you played some rock music record backwards, there is a Satanic message. So on TV they played it backwards & there wasn't even anything that sounded like a word. And if those cartoons are in a foreign language, maybe nothing on there sounds like a word, unless your son is studying a foreign language. Moving pictures of art that "fight" with each other, probably nothing bad will come from it. Best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 04:06 AM

17,602 posts, read 16,739,709 times
There isn't anything you can do about something that he has already seen. But you can do a quick search history on his computer, find and watch the cartoons that he has watched and then watch them for yourself. At least then you would know if you/your husband had to talk with him about anything.

Beyond that - use parental controls and limit computer time. And have him use the computer in a common room of the house, not a private place like his bedroom.

All you have to do is a quick search on your computer and you will see what an eyeful kids can get these days. Like I said, limit his computer time....

Old 12-07-2012, 04:26 AM

584 posts, read 1,942,312 times
i am sorry but a cartoon a tv show or music will not make some one go out and do any thing and if they do get the idea from said it was not the cartoon tv show or music that did it it was their own choice and actions.. if a church group is opposed to them or any groupe saying they cause moral decay or such do not look at those items but what is afraid of such items.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:42 AM

17,602 posts, read 16,739,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
i am sorry but a cartoon a tv show or music will not make some one go out and do any thing and if they do get the idea from said it was not the cartoon tv show or music that did it it was their own choice and actions.. if a church group is opposed to them or any groupe saying they cause moral decay or such do not look at those items but what is afraid of such items.
I've seen x-rated cartoons before and I can see how those cartoons might give kids "ideas" that they might not be quite ready for. You wouldn't think that a cartoon could be graphic - but they can be. And there is a difference between actively seeking out racey material and having it simply pop up in a kiddie cartoon...

I'm really not familiar with the cartoons that the OP is describing. But if they are highly sexual I can't really see a benefit in her son watching them....certainly not at 14. Of course, it would be strange for a cartoon aimed at kids to be "highly sexual" so it's possible that there is some over reaction on the Op's friend part. The only way to be sure, though, is to watch them yourself.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:57 AM

885 posts, read 1,885,882 times
Tell him you love him and that you're worried. Then go sign up for opendns.com

Old 12-07-2012, 05:01 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,323,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
Tell him you love him and that you're worried. Then go sign up for opendns.com

Old 12-07-2012, 06:10 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,187,887 times
You need to find out exactly what he is watching first before you go on full alert.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:23 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,601,951 times
OP you need to ignore what the person at church told you, and watch the shows yourself, make an educated decision. Tell your son you are going to watch a show with him, maybe you'll both enjoy it.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:32 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,912,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
OP you need to ignore what the person at church told you, and watch the shows yourself, make an educated decision. Tell your son you are going to watch a show with him, maybe you'll both enjoy it.
This. It will also give a basis for discussion between the two of you.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:44 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,281,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I agree. Well said.

I would be more worried about other internet activites---social media sites, etc. My daughter got herself into some trouble last year at the age of 12. Our parental controls software got goofed up and stopped working. She was busy setting up email, twitter and FB accounts behind our back. Our computers are all in the same room too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting