Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 11:56 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times

Advertisements

Kids get hurt riding bikes, but no one says not to get them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 09:28 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times
Default Insurance companies send

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellar View Post
When my kids go to the doctor, the office uses forms that have codes for various problems. So if my kid breaks her arm on the neighbor's trampoline, the doctor circles broken bone, code whatever. In addition, they may write a very short report with more details based on what I say. I am not even sure if the insurance company gets that report. The code seems to be the most important thing for insurance. Therefore unless I make a big deal about it happening on my neighbor's trampoline, I highly doubt my insurance company would be coming back to me to get information about my neighbor. Seriously--insurance companies deal with thousands of claims all the time. I've never heard of them taking the time to go back to a person to get location details on such simple cases.

The times such stories make the news is when the injured party goes after someone--a restaurant, a park operator or whoever. It just isn't the same as car insurance. Unless you have mean neighbors, I would not worry too much about getting sued etc. Frankly, the neighborhood kids could get hurt tripping over a rock in your yard. Sometimes you just have to hope that the goodness of your neighbors will prevail.
inquiry letters if they flag a code that could be some kind of injury from a car accident or on the job accident. I have received several of them over the years. They require you to fill out a form, explaining in detail what happened, where and when. They also want to know if you have any other matching insurance. They claim will not be paid until the form is returned. That is how they find out. They will do it for a broken arm also.

As for injury in your front yard, there is homeowners insurance. Unless someone is trespassing, or you have an "attractive nuisance", which would include a trampoline that is not in a locked fenced area, you are libel for injuries sustained on your property.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:33 AM

404 posts, read 904,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Though I'm a proponent of trampolines as well, I find it hard to believe that you all did these sorts of things on your trampoline and "no one ever got hurt". Seriously? Not even a small scratch?

Did you use a safety net or anything?
Yes we had a safety net. Of course there were bumps and bruises, but nothing serious. No broken bones or anything. Overall I'd say it was definitely worth it. Out of all the things we got for outdoor activities, trampoline was by far the best until we got into snowboarding

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note

Old 07-09-2012, 10:38 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Though I'm a proponent of trampolines as well, I find it hard to believe that you all did these sorts of things on your trampoline and "no one ever got hurt". Seriously? Not even a small scratch?

Did you use a safety net or anything?
Do you really find it hard to believe that people can do something that carries the risk of getting serious hurt and them not get seriously hurt?

It's not that hard to not be stupid and get hurt.

I ski, I have been completely blindsided by a snowboarder from behind before, I've only ever had aches and bruises and if someone can't handle a few aches and bruises they should stay home. People get seriously hurt because of lack of skill, carelessness or recklessness, if you take precaution and are safe about things, don't do things out of your skill range or when you do try something new you are careful you pretty much eliminate all risks.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:53 AM

404 posts, read 904,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
if someone can't handle a few aches and bruises they should stay home. People get seriously hurt because of lack of skill, carelessness or recklessness, if you take precaution and are safe about things, don't do things out of your skill range or when you do try something new you are careful you pretty much eliminate all risks.
Well said. How do you think we get professional skateboarders, snowboarders, race car drivers, gymnasts, etc without letting kids take risks and have fun. A lot of you would probably put your kid in a bubble by the sounds of it.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
Well said. How do you think we get professional skateboarders, snowboarders, race car drivers, gymnasts, etc without letting kids take risks and have fun. A lot of you would probably put your kid in a bubble by the sounds of it.

My kids will be covered in bumps and bruises and scrapes, why, because I am not going to be one of those parents who says no running or is overly cautious. It's just a scrape, it's just a bump, it's just a bruise.

Children could get more seriously hurt riding in the car with their parents and getting into an accident than they could running around and playing.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:08 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
Yes we had a safety net. Of course there were bumps and bruises, but nothing serious. No broken bones or anything. Overall I'd say it was definitely worth it. Out of all the things we got for outdoor activities, trampoline was by far the best until we got into snowboarding

Haha, now that sounds about right. We'll be following your family's lead for sure!... except for the snowboarding
(I'm in Texas; what's "snow"?)

Quote:
Do you really find it hard to believe that people can do something that carries the risk of getting serious hurt and them not get seriously hurt?
Yes. Kids... doing all the "fancy flips" they listed... on a trampoline (especially if there's no safety net, which was a factor not specified until I asked)... and not getting hurt at all (again, a phrase begging clarification). It'd be hard for me to believe that!

Old 07-09-2012, 11:09 AM

114 posts, read 231,930 times
we have had one for 3 years now with no problems, no one has ever gotten hurt ours has a net around it and it is also easy to move to mow under it (i can move it by myself), we dont let other kids on it unless there parents are there watching them.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Haha, now that sounds about right. We'll be following your family's lead for sure!... except for the snowboarding
(I'm in Texas; what's "snow"?)

Yes. Kids... doing all the "fancy flips" they listed... on a trampoline (especially if there's no safety net, which was a factor not specified until I asked)... and not getting hurt at all (again, a phrase begging clarification). It'd be hard for me to believe that!

Sorry but you call them "fancy flips" makes you sound like an old fart.
As is "Those damn kids and their fancy flips, flipping everywhere"
They're called tricks or their own specific names.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:29 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
My kids will be covered in bumps and bruises and scrapes, why, because I am not going to be one of those parents who says no running or is overly cautious. It's just a scrape, it's just a bump, it's just a bruise.

Children could get more seriously hurt riding in the car with their parents and getting into an accident than they could running around and playing.

It's easy to say you'll be okay with the kid being all banged up...but then you have teachers thinking it's abuse, you waste hours and hundreds of dollars sitting in emergency rooms waiting to get x rays when the kid takes a major spill, plus have to see them screaming in pain when the broken bones get x rayed (they always make you twist at least one way that is just agonizing). Then you have to deal with doctors saying the kid might need surgery and the stress until they decide a cast is good enough, getting notes excusing your broken kid from PE until the break heals, follow up visits, kids whining about itchy, stinky casts, kids not able to button pants with one usable arm, trying to wrap up the cast so the kid can still shower...

and the next thing you know, you're breaking out the bubble wrap and saying no to trampolines, slip and slides, motorized scooters, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting