Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 12:45 AM

6,190 posts, read 8,013,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
i have a fence, they go through it. climb over it. etc

trampoline = nay

unless parents parent their children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The other problem that I've had with parents is that they will send their kids to my place with bb-guns, dirt bikes, and other dangerous toys that they don't let them use in their own yards. That way I'm responsible if anything happens and they think it's all fine because I have a lot of space. It's pretty nervy when a kid is dropped off with a new bb-gun his parent gave him and they both assume he should be able to play with at my place and the excuse is -- we live where we can't shoot the gun. And even worse are people who think they have the right to ride their quads and SUVs across my land -- great lawsuit for them though if they are injured in any way.
Do you guys have the make my day law?
Put up signs "Will shoot trespassers on sight!"
And then shoot them on site with like a bb gun or paintball gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 09:13 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,732,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
You are joking, yes?

Old 07-15-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You are joking, yes?
All sarcasm is lost over the internet.

Anyways, I would stick speakers in my yard and play vicious dog sounds when the kids came near the fence, it would have a sensor, when motion triggered the sensor the vicious dog sounds would play.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:41 PM

47,525 posts, read 70,100,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
You are missing the point; if it happens on YOUR property (your dogs bites me, I fall off your trampoline, etc. etc.) it does not matter, my insurance company (and I am VERY well insured) WILL NOT COVER IT WHATSOEVER, YOUR insurance is responsible for covering the financial damages from the accident because it happened on your property. It is in no way a choice made by me. This is the way liability works.
Part of my point is that if my kid lands on his butt from falling off the horse, I'm not going to run him to the hospital for every kind of x-ray and MRI test that exists. I'm going to view it as part of the natural progress in learning to ride a horse. Same with a trampoline - as long as it's not near anything hazardous, and has a good net around it, a bumped head is not going to end up being some $10,000 bill.

I think you're wrong though because my kids have medical insurance coverage, and when they have needed stitches, or an x-ray, I never had to sue anyone, my insurance covered them. Yes it's possible that the time my kid was hurt in a city park, the city would have covered it, but the medical insurance covered it with no trouble. Another needed stitches playing in a relative's yard and the medical insurance covered that also.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 70,100,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Well I did actually check into that with the sheriff department and they told me that I should put up no trespassing signs in several locations and beware of dog signs and if someone who was not an invited guest gets bit trespassing across my land by the dog, as long as that dog stayed on my property the whole time, then I'm not liable.

Children coming over to play are a different matter because they can seem to be legally invited guests if you allow them to stay and play. If you allow other people's kids to play, then you really need to make sure they aren't going to be climbing the trees, jumping on the trampoline and you have to tell them they cannot ride the horses or even be near them. Or you're asking for problems.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:51 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,569,934 times
The issue is you never know...some folks are just real different. My kid is playing basketball at your house, gets his nose broken...fine...no big deal. I accept that boys are boys...another parent could go crazy and sue for damages and coverage for plastic surgery to fix the broken nose.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:14 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,760,606 times
As an update, the trampoline talk has died down. I'm sort of hoping it stays that way They are however, visiting their cousins this week, and they have a trampoline, which won't help when they get back.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
As an update, the trampoline talk has died down. I'm sort of hoping it stays that way They are however, visiting their cousins this week, and they have a trampoline, which won't help when they get back.
I would say why not get one.
Get a trampoline, get the safety pads and nets and see how it works out.
Discuss the rules with them.

And hire an angry thug to guard your yard from neighborhood kids.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:32 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,707,756 times
We have a trampoline with a net and none of my kids have been hurt, we also have neighbor kids over and they have all been fine.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:37 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,931,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Part of my point is that if my kid lands on his butt from falling off the horse, I'm not going to run him to the hospital for every kind of x-ray and MRI test that exists. I'm going to view it as part of the natural progress in learning to ride a horse. Same with a trampoline - as long as it's not near anything hazardous, and has a good net around it, a bumped head is not going to end up being some $10,000 bill.

I think you're wrong though because my kids have medical insurance coverage, and when they have needed stitches, or an x-ray, I never had to sue anyone, my insurance covered them. Yes it's possible that the time my kid was hurt in a city park, the city would have covered it, but the medical insurance covered it with no trouble. Another needed stitches playing in a relative's yard and the medical insurance covered that also.
I think what idlewile was saying was that your insurance company would not have paid for those charges if they were aware they were not liable. You caused your insurance company to pay charges that were not their responsibility. I know it probably seems like no big deal, because the overall burden is borne by all the other members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting